The Hobbit

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ShibuyaGato, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Okay, so this is a book we're reading for school. I've seen the LotR movies and i've gotta say I think this may be hit or miss with me. If you've read it can you please tell me what you thought of it? Was it good? Was it dry at times? Please just tell me what your opinion of it was.

2. Sara Tea Drinker

I enjoyed it, I can never seem to get through the Lord of the Rings, but The Hobbit I have read several times. Though I differ, I like the movie better. The cartoon of the 1970's that was excellently made and little known in most cases.

It is usually well-paced and excellently written. There are some points where it drags out, I can never sit through the Golum scene for some reason. But overall, I liked it. As for favorite scene, when the wargs and goblins attacked the group. I won't say what happens, but I loved it.

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I was never a fan of Lord of the Rings and when I had to read the Hobbit in school, I just didn't.
    I have to read it again as one of the required readings for my classes, and it turns out that I really enjoy the story.
    However, the way Tolkien writes just doesn't sit well with me to the point where I just skim through, sparknotes the chapters, or just listen to what people say in the discussion of it. In some cases, I don't mind it as a whole week will be contained in one paragraph, but I don't know, he does it too often. And the way the book reads like someone is actually telling me a story also feels off to me.
    Good story, writing style could be better.
    I'm only 12 chapters in and I have to read another 3 this weekend.
    My main problem with it is that Gandalf seems like a deus ex machina waiting to happen and I hope I'm wrong.

4. Arch Mana Knight

Lol that never happens in LotR. << >>

I read it in my Freshman year of Highschool. Funny story, tummer and I(and two other friends) did a trailer for a fake movie of the book. It turned out alright.

Anyways, I rather enjoyed the book but at some points the story just lost my attention. I just wasn't used to Tolkien's writing style. I pretty much did the same thing as Bueno for the chapters I didn't read. Good book, just the writing style didn't appeal to me that much. Sadly I don't remember enough of it to make some long post about it but I do remember enjoying the story. ^^

5. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

I read this as well as the LOTR and honestly, I prefer The Hobbit. It's a very good story if you are into the sort of puzzled, humorous and adventurous fantasy type of books. To me, it felt more upbeat than LOTR did most of the time and was a surprisingly uplifting book for myself and is currently my favourite book.

6. Tahno The official Charlie Sheen of Republic City.

I have read the first two books of LoTR, and I have to say that The Hobbit is a lot better.
    As Fayt said, it is more upbeat, and I completely agree. I found LoTR good, and Tolkien's writing style is perhaps the most original I've read, and he practically created a history where LoTR is concerned.
    But LoTR didn't have as much of a conceptualization as compared to The Hobbit. The Hobbit is the prequel, the original story, the whole idea behind why The Fellowship was started, not to mention Bilbo Baggins is epic.

7. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I can't find the trailer though, but I do remeber filming it. One scene, Terra and some other guy were suppose to be talking to me while I (as baggins) had my back to ther camera. I remember on the first take I was making stupid faces, trying to trip them up. It worked though. Oh! And I got my head hit in the head with a pinecone rock.

I wasn't that much of a fan of LOTR before I read the book, but the Hobbit quickly changed my mind. I was surprised by how much it captured my attention, although there were a lot of points I just didn't get. I tried reading it again last year and was able to finally understand those parts that I didn't before. It's a great story with a lot of action (more than in Twilight anyway).

8. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I agree with most other people. I enjoy The Hobbit a lot more than LotR, mainly because I didn't like the whole doom and gloom atmosphere in LotR (and concerning ... which just turned me off the story before I even got to "A Long Expected Party".

The Hobbit is a lot more upbeat, and also, it is a lot more mysterious, like in certain parts in the middle that I won't spoil. Also, "Riddles in the Dark" has to be one of my favorite chapters in any book, it's right up there with "King's Cross" from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I love it so much.

9. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

lol, I read that book a long time ago, I've always loved reading and read every book I could get my hands on, including the Hobbit. However, I liked LOTR better. I read that one first, when I was thirteen, and became a huge fan. But the Hobbit is a very funny and enjoyable read. It's easier to understand than LOTR, and moves a lot faster. (You can tell, since Hobbit is one book and LOTR is three.) But anyway, If you like fantasies and adventure, but a relatively easy read.