You're so far back in the closet, you don't even realise your in Narnia!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Starlight, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Starlight Merlin's Housekeeper

Okay, I seemed to notice while I was in the car with my friend Stardust, that there is in fact no Narnia posts. Come on Narnia is beast! A great and epic series, not to mention good movies too. Can I hear a ye-yeaahhh! for the people for C.S. Lewis!

2. Stardust Chaser

Oh hey it's you 8O.
    Confession: I only read two Chronicles of Narnia books xD.

BUT THEY WERE AWESOME. I loved them. Especially The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe; a true classic ~.

And yeah, I'm definitely stunned there were no threads for this yet, there are threads for the movies after all. The movies are just okay though imho, but the books are amazing.

3. P Banned

I'm only posting in this thread to ask how you managed that train-wreck of a title. You manage to get the whole "You are" thing right the first time, but you completely dropped the ball on it the second time around.

Now that I've made my rather dickish Grammar Nazi point, I may as well throw my part in here.

I liked the series, but as a fantasy series, and I felt the religious undertones actually hurt the series. At first they were acceptable, such as in Wardrobe, where the parallels were clear, but didn't impact the story in any way. However in Voyage, it took away from the tale, as the entire voyage became a medium for Lewis' philosophical thoughts, without any real conclusion reached. Ultimately it ruined the ending in The Last Battle, where everyone died then came back to life in the real Narnia, only that Narnia was also a fake Narnia and so on and so forth. It was an interesting thought, to be sure, and perhaps it was just 'too deep' for me to understand. Even so, I hold true to my opinion that the religion and philosophy damaged the novels.

4. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I loved the books ever since my dad read the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe to me when I was seven, and I've read them over and over again.The magic just made me love it. The only one I only read once was the Last Battle. That one I didn't care for, and I didn't agree with all his theology. However, I personally think that layering his own beliefs into his stories was a very nice touch, even if I don't agree with it or it makes some people uncomfortable. My favorite in the series is actually the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and I HATED the movie. I really think they got Eustace's character wrong, and I really didn't like that they made him a dragon for way longer then he should have been. So, pretty much, C.S. Lewis is one of my favorite authors of all time. Just my own thoughts, anyway. :)

(P.S. Just a bit of interesting trivia: C.S. Lewis's real wardrobe now is in a museam with a plaque overhead, and this is what it reads: "Enter at your own risk.")

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I've only read Magician's Nephew and Prince Caspian. Both were for school. I actually really enjoyed them. But I really enjoy the movies better, because I don't have to imagine so much. Which reminds me, I still need to see that latest movie

6. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Voyage of the Dawn Treader?

I haven't paid much attention to the movies.
    Mom made me watch Prince Caspian and I enjoyed it a bit, though nobody can top Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe...

7. Iskandar King of Conquerors

That's true. The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe was really good. I like Prince Caspian a lot because it has a lot more fighting in it though. I just like movies better because I don't have to imagine what it's supposed to look like or what happens

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

But sometimes the book gives a more vivid picture of what it's supposed to be.

Reading can be better than seeing at times.

9. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

I really enjoyed this series when I was younger, but one thing that always irked me was that right at the end of The Last Battle, Susan doesn't show up and the others dismisses her as being too obssessed with make-up and boys and had forgotten all about Narnia.

WTH? One of the major characters in two of the most popular books of the series, who you spent all that time developing, suddenly gets thrown aside? What was the point of that?

10. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

I love/loved this series. When I was younger, I read the entire series. Now I think about it, and the books, though great, got progressively worse as they went on. I loved Magician's Nephew and L,W, and W, but in my opinion, maybe one sequel after that would have done me. Is that just me?