An RP with a real combat system- would anyone be interested in an RP like this?

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Always Dance, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Always Dance Chaser

I was involved in something like this on a different forum a long time ago and I thought it would be cool to try something like this here. I just want to make sure that people would be interested first, hence this thread.

Basically, this would be an RP with an actual turn based combat system involved. You'd pick a class, which would affect your abilities and stats, which affect battles. Any combat- be it between players or just a monster- would use this system. Simple formulas would be used to decide your damage. Here's an example. This fight is one on one but most would probably happen in teams, this is just to give you a general idea of the combat.

Greg's Posts are in red:
    Greg approached a cupcake that he really wanted to eat. But some meaty ******* came up and tried to steal it. Greg decided that the only solution was to fight to the death!
    "I shall kill you for this cupcake!" He declared.

Bob's posts are in blue:
    "Very well then!" Bob retorted. He was very much looking for a fight

[color=6b28e]Slaughtermatic's posts are in purple
    A fight is commencing! Standings:

Greg: Mage LV 1
    HP: 100/100
    MP: 215/215

Bob: Blademaster LV 1
    HP: 210/210
    MP: 40/40

Greg goes first![/color]

Greg knew he was going to have be careful and end this quickly. He'd have to use his magic to survive.
    "The cupcake will be mine! Take this!"
    Greg raised his staff and shot a fireball at Bob
    Greg used fireball

Greg uses 15 MP for fireball
    The move connects. Bob takes 36 damage. 2 turn cooldown for fireball starts now.
    Greg:
    100/100
    200/215

Bob:
    174/210
    40/40

Bob goes next!

Bob tried to get out of the way, but the fireball flew to him far too fast and he took the damage completely.
    "You'll pay for that, you scrawny mage!"
    Bob channeled his rage through his body and to his sword, allowing it to strengthen him.
    Bob used Furious Soul

Bob paid 10 MP for Furious Soul.
    The move succeeded. Bob's Strength increases by 60 for 3 turns.
    Greg:
    100/100
    200/215
    Bob:
    174/210
    30/40

Greg goes next!

Greg didn't even answer Bob's taunt, he was already focusing on what spell to use next. He hadn't quite mastered the freezing spell yet, but he figured he'd try it; if it succeeded he'd get a huge advantage.
    Greg used freeze

Greg uses 30 MP for freeze
    The move missed!
    Nothing happens. 3 turn cooldown for freeze starts now.
    Greg:
    100/100
    170/215
    Bob:
    174/210
    30/40

Bob next!

Bob felt a sharp chill and saw what appeared to be a cloud of mist surrounding him. He quickly rolled out of the way of the cloud, and it didn't follow him, much to his relief.
    "You'll have to better than that!"
    I'm ending this now, Bob thought to himself. He lifted the hilt of his sword to his chest and began to focus his energy for his next attack.
    Bob begins charging Crushing Blow

Bob is charging Crushing Blow. All standings are the same.

Greg goes next!

Greg saw that Bob was charging a strong move and decided he would have to use one of his own.
    Greg begins charging Thunder Shot

Greg is charging Thunder Shot. All standings are the same.

Greg may go again!

To his relief, Greg felt that he had charged enough energy for a strong hit before his opponent had. He decided instead of continuing to charge, he'd capitalize on this opportunity.
    Greg releases Thunder Shot

Greg used 50 MP for Thunder Shot.
    The move landed. Bob suffers 89 damage!

Standings:
    Greg:
    100/100
    120/215
    Bob:
    85/215
    30/40

The electric shock hurt Bob badly. He shook the static off with vigor. It hurt, but it'd be worth it: Bob had finished charging his attack. This would end now.
    Bob unleashes Crushing Blow

Bob paid 30 MP for Crushing Blow.
    The move landed!
    Bob scored a critical hit! Greg takes 132 damage!
    Bob has won this battle!

Bob dashed to his opponent, lifted his blade about his head, and struck down, hard. The sheer power of this move combined with with raging power of Furious Soul proved too much for his foe's armor. As his opponent fell to the ground, knocked out, Bob took his cupcake and ate it proudly

I've got a story and stuff lined up as well, but before I pour any more effort into this I just want to know how many people would be interested.

2. Inverser361 Destiny Islands Resident

Ok, this sounds like something I could go for!

What are the character skeletons(u know, name, age, weapon, etc.)?

3. Always Dance Chaser

Characters could be any age over 15, all characters would be OC's, but you would have to pick a "Class". This RP would involve a war and you'd have to pick a side, what classes are available are different depending on which side you picked. One side has:
    Mage (Staff, magic, etc.)
    Warrior (Sword)
    Thief (Knife, tricks, etc.)
    Archer
    The other has:
    Launcher (Large gun that shoots various projectiles)
    Alchemist (Mix potions with various effects)
    Engineer (Operate a large robot)
    Knife Thrower

Given that you seem to be the only person interested however, this probably will not happen.

4. Inverser361 Destiny Islands Resident

Try putting up the story occ with your idea, and we'll see if any more get interested.

People will go for a new idea if the story is good; Trust me.

EDIT: oh, and does the sword have to be regular, or can I use something like the keyblade? I'd like to make sure first.

5. Always Dance Chaser

You are supposed to be able to find new weapons through advancement in the story, so a keyblade would not really work.

The story is honestly extremely generic and not very exciting at all. The gist of it is that a country to the north has developed their technology far faster than anyone else in the world, and believe it their duty to "Share" their advancements with everyone else. Many southern countries oppose this strongly, war ensues. You play as a soldier on either side. That's it. The appeal of this was supposed to be the combat system, which is why that's all I've talked about when trying to see who would be interested

6. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

This sounds utterly epic.
    Really, really epic. I do think... maybe, as a writer (if I do say so myself) I might improve the story?
    I hope that's not being intrusive, or annoying, or anything.

If not, I'm still interested and would definitely like to join.

7. Inverser361 Destiny Islands Resident

@Slaughtermatic
    Oh, ok.

I would also like to help with the story. I am very imaginative, and I'd like to see how good I might be at this.

8. Always Dance Chaser

You are very much free to share your ideas, as long as the techno-side VS primitive side thing remains.

9. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Yeah, of course. I actually like the main idea, it just could be more fleshed out. I'll be typing a quick paragraph or two up, it'll basically be an extended version of your description.

10. Always Dance Chaser

Well don't get me wrong, it's not like I couldn't write a fleshed out version either- I'm actually a pretty decent writer, I just really don't want to put a lot of effort into this and get disappointed because nobody wants to play. What I said was just the gist of it, there is of course much more behind it, but like I said the story isn't supposed to be the main appeal of this thing

11. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I'm definitely interested, and I believe many others would be too.

12. Iskandar King of Conquerors

well, if this turns into a huge success, you can always add into the story and other stuff. Kinda like what other MMOs do. Things either get really old or it goes so well that they add something new and exciting to make it keep going

13. Always Dance Chaser

Where the Hell were you people when I posted this thread? 0_0

14. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Oh, alright. I hope I'm not intruding, I just really enjoy writing and such. I'm not really busy or anything, so I just thought it might be a little something to take up 30 minutes or whatever. If that's cool with you, lawl. I could just give ideas if you feel like writing it.

15. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I don't check the RP section all the time, nor do everyone else, which is why I haven't seen it yet. It hasn't been up for too long though, give it some time and people will notice it.

16. Always Dance Chaser

Of course, you're free to write up anything you want and share any ideas you have, I just don't want you to feel obligated to do so, because I can write these things myself.

17. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I've been here since you posted it, I'm always checking the What's New section. I just didn't quite understand it all that well, that's all.

18. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Ah, alright. I find it fun, so I'll get started. It's up to you whether you want to use it or not.

About not being here originally- I have no idea.

19. Inverser361 Destiny Islands Resident

I was bored, so I decided to look at the rp arena, and found this. Plus, like Noroz said, it takes a while for a post to be noticed, and not everyone online will notice this firsthand, lol.

20. Arch Mana Knight

Knife Thrower shouldn't be its own class. XD

I noticed this thread when it was first posted but I decided to wait a little for you to post some kind of story. This kind of RP is rarely made and I've only seen one survive for very long. Hm...I think I'll join. I'm in an RPG-type mode right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.