Pride and Preservation-Signups/OOC talk

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Always Dance, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Always Dance Chaser

Pride and Preservation is my attempt at an RP with a real combat system. See an example here. This thread is for signups and OOC talk. Both the name and the story I've written at this point are tentative, and I'm eager to hear your suggestions if you have any.

~The Birth of a Nation~

The continent of Bellum has long been a peaceful place. The nations scattered across it have, since previous wars, seen bloodshed as pointless, and land disputes are almost nonexistent- there's plenty of room for everyone on this vast, fertile continent.

For the past few hundred years, life had been monotonous. One might call it dull. With no wars to worry about and with plenty of food for everyone, things stayed the same, unchanging...almost everywhere.

You see, in northern Bellum, in the country of Plume, was a town called Novus. Novus was a hot town, so hot in fact, that it became the first town to, out of sheer demand, create a man-made lake. But this would not be Novus's only first. For whatever reason, the place was full of bright, creative minds- or, as they say now, probably ones that were mad with heatstroke. It was all in the town of Novus that Bows and Arrows became guns, the sailboat became a steamboat, and potions became explosives.

Novus longed to share their innovations with the world, it was the future, they said, but the rest of Bellum didn't seem all that interested. They continued living their lives as they had- it was the way they liked it.

The other continents, however, were very interested. Despite its impractical location, Novus was soon the biggest trading hub of Bellum- the only one, in fact. Novus was the only place where money was coming in from other countries outside the continent of Bellum.

As such, it wasn't long before Novus was, by far, the richest city in all of Plume- in fact, in all of Bellum.

One day, Novus made a bold move. The leader of the city approached the King of Plume bearing great riches, and bought the nation of Plume, subsequently renaming it Novus. The surrounding countries eyed suspiciously as all trade suddenly stopped. The newly built nation of Novus remained silent for five years.

~It begins~
    And, just what were they doing for five years? The answer became apparent when, after years of complete silence, Novus offered to buy the coast-bearing country to its left, Unda. The move made sense, Novus would be a much more practical trade location, if it had a beach.
    The Queen of Unda, however, suspicious of Novus's years of silence, and already satisfied with the country she ran, refused Novus's generous offer.

Her head was on display for the whole Castle Town to see the very next day.

Novus's attack on the Nation of Unda could only be described as genocide. All accounts said that many people died before they even had a chance to grab their weapons- for Unda saw things that nobody else had every seen that day. Jars of red liquid were shot out of huge guns, exploding entire buildings upon contact. Knives flew through the air, slitting the throats of passers-by. Enormous steel golems punched through walls and crushed families. The Queen was frozen on the spot before her beheading.

That day, Novus was no longer a town, or a country, but an empire. The surrounding lands, for the most part, accepted the money that Novus offered them, and joined the nation peacefully.

~Fighting Back~

Novus continued to expand, but when it reached the center mark of Bellum, it just stopped. It went back to the way the old town ran- a trade nation, focused on making money. Citizens were free to go to the southern countries if they pleased, but most actually enjoyed the new luxuries offered by Novus's technology. The southern countries knew that it wouldn't be long before Novus wanted them as well. Secretly, they all banded together as one nation, and called it Provetus. They clung to the old ways like never before, praying constantly- and the Gods came through. It became clear that they had taken sides, and so they sent down what the Provetans called Guardians- majestic creatures like no one had ever seen. Provetus kept the guardians as a well-kept secret as they trained their army.

As expected, the time came when Novus needed more land, and offered to buy the Southern countries. The resounding no was met with war- but the Provetans were prepared. Amazingly, with the help of the Guardians, the Provetan army drove the first wave of Novans back.

~The present~

And now, the War rages on, of Novan pride, and of Provetan preservation. The Novans are said to have designed a new device that can effectively trap a guardian inside some sort of cage. The Army Base in the central town of Altum is preparing a group of promising mercenaries to investigate this phenomenon.

Each character must pick a side, and a class. What classes are available depend on what side you pick. Please note that there is no "Bad" side in this war- both sides believe they are doing the right thing. Your class will decide your stats and skills.

Classes available to Provetans:
    Warrior
    ---
    The warrior focuses on strength, and uses various sword techniques from all around Provetus. The warrior is great at dishing out damage, but not so much taking it.
    Starting Skills:
    Furious Soul:
    This will increase the strength of you or your entire party (You must choose one of these- you cannot just buff certain members and not others) for three turns. The amount it is increased by is based on your current stats as well as the strength of your weapon. Using Furious Soul costs 10 MP per party member used on, as well as 10 HP for every member that is not yourself.

Crushing Blow:
    A charged attack. You must charge it for at least one turn and a maximum of three. Damage is based on charge time, your stats, and your weapon. This move costs 10 MP per turn charged.

Quick Slash:
    A nimble slash that is less powerful than a normal attack, but can be used at any time- even while charging. This move has a cooldown of three turns and costs 20 MP.

---

Mage
    ---
    The mage focuses on varying types of magic, and is quick. He employs ancient Provetan spells that the Novans now devalue. Unfortunately, the mage's physical attack is pitiful.
    Starting Skills:

Fireball:
    A simple fire-element spell that costs 15 MP and does moderate damage. It has a cooldown of one turn.

Ice Needles:
    A charged shot of icy needles that do damage based on how long the spell was charged. It must be charged for at least one turn and a maximum of three. The spell costs 20 MP per turn charged and has a small chance of freezing the opponent that goes up depending on how long you charge it.

Heal:
    Heals a small amount of HP to one target. The spell costs 50 MP and has no cooldown, but anyone who has been healed cannot be healed again for two turns (No matter the caster)

---

Archer
    ---
    The archer focuses on accuracy, using the precision of hand-crafted Provetan bows and arrows.
    Starting Skills:

Take Aim:
    A shot that is less powerful than a regular attack, but is a guaranteed hit. It costs 10 MP.

Focus:
    A buff that increases the accuracy of yourself or all party members. It costs 10 MP per person used on.

Multishot:
    Shoot up to four arrows at once, allowing you to hit multiple targets. Each hit will do less damage than a normal attack, and have a higher chance of missing than a normal attack as well. 10 MP per arrow fired, cooldown of one turn.
    ---

Theif
    ---
    This bag of tricks focuses on speed and evasion. He has low defense and moderate attack.
    Stating Skills:

Steal Item: Steals an item from an opponent. If this is used on another player, the item will be returned at the end of the battle. Has a low chance of success against other players. 10 MP.

Ash: Throws ash at an opponent's face, severely reducing their accuracy. It has a low chance of success. 15 MP.

Foresight: A buff that increases evasion sharply for 3 turns. Can only be used on yourself.
    ---

Classes available to Novans:
    Launcher
    ---
    The Novans have developed primitive versions of guns. They are so large that they must be held over a shoulder, and they fire shots slowly, taking a long time to reload. As such it is largely inefficient to shoot bullets, so they shoot various other things instead.

Starting Skills:

Smoke Bomb: Launches a smoke bomb that may decrease a group of enemy's accuracy. 15 SP (Novan version of MP)

Area Grenade: Launches a small grenade that will hurt a group of enemies. 20 SP, 2 turn cooldown(For reasons of keeping damage calculation easier, this does Magic Damage)

Tranquilizer: Launches a tranquilizer dart that, if successful, will put an enemy to sleep until he is physically attacked. Low chance of success. 15 SP.
    ---

Alchemist
    ---
    Novan science has allowed for the creation of some very interesting mixtures. The alchemist keeps these in small vials that he throws at opponents. (Weapon is a knife, but he probably won't use it much anyway)

Starting Skills:

Grenade: Throw a small grenade that will damage one enemy. 15 SP, 2 turn cooldown.

Sticky Trap: Throw a jar of sticky fluid at the opponent's feet. It it lands, the opponent will be unable to do dodge any hits or perform close ranged attacks (Magic attacks, ranged attacks, and buffs still work). It has a low chance of success. 30 SP.

Chemist's Potion: Consume a potion, or throw it at an ally- don't worry, it heals on contact. 40 SP. No cooldown, but anyone who is given too many potions within a certain period of time(How much is too much depends on a secret stat) will get Potion Drunkess- a debuff that reduces strength, accuracy, and evasion.
    ---

Engineer
    ---
    This fighter operates a large robot that leaves his torso exposed. He focuses on strength, and has pitiful speeed.

Starting Skills:

Mow Down:
    An extremely powerful punch that has a low chance of landing. 20 SP, 1 turn cooldown

Turbo Mode:
    A buff that will increase the user's strength for 3 turns. 20 SP

Shockwave:
    Punches the ground and causes damage to group of enemies, less than a normal attack. 30 SP, 2 turn cooldown.
    ---

Knife Launcher
    ---
    This fighter wears a special glove with a slot for knives that can be launched at high speeds with the touch of a button.

Starting Skills:

Aim- Arms: This skill will do less damage than a normal attack, and also has a chance of reducing the enemy's accuracy. 15 SP, 1 turn cooldown.

Aim- Legs: This skill will do less damage than a normal attack, and also has a chance of reducing the enemy's speed. 15 SP, 1 turn cooldown.

Take Aim: This skill will do less damage than a normal attack, but is a guaranteed hit. 10 SP.
    ---

The combat system will work by employing simple formulas based on your stats. Your stats are PRIVATE to you and will be PMed to you, don't share them with anyone. This is to avoid people figuring out the damage calculation algorithm, which will probably happen anyway.

During a fight, I will declare who goes first, that person will post with his attack. I will then post the results of that attack (Whether it went through, how much damage, etc.) and post any relevant changes. Then I will say who's turn it is next. This goes on until a winner is declared.

I will be controlling all environmental enemies- goblins and other assorted mooks and bosses

Signup sheet:

Name:
    Side (ABSOLUTELY NO NEUTRALS):
    Class:
    Appearance:
    About (Personality, backstory, etc.):

RULES:

1.) Absolutely no neutral-ness. You are loyal to your side.
    2.) Follow the orders given to you. If a superior tells you to deliver a document to him without reading it, don't read it.
    3.) When you're having a fight with a monster controlled by me, try to be on at the same time. When you're fighting someone else, try to be on at the same time.
    4.) Do not try to pull any crap with the battle system. It is objective.
    5.) The Novans have advanced technology for their day, yes, but don't go overboard. Think steampunk. Steam-powered jetskis are okay, but cell phones are not.
    6.) I would like at least one person of each class before we start. For now, if someone is already signed up as a certain class, do not sign up as that class. After we have at least one of each do whatever you want.
    7.) There is no good or bad side, please keep that in mind. Both sides have their own valid points. There will be a winner, and who it will be just depends on how good you are with this combat system.​

On Saturday I'm leaving to go to camp for a week. We'll have to wait at least that long to start.

2. Inverser361 Destiny Islands Resident

Ok, here is mine!

Name: Bixran
    Side (ABSOLUTELY NO NEUTRALS): Provetans
    Class: Warrior
    Appearance: black hair with white highlights; fair muscle tone; 6'6; armor is angelic on the left, demonic on the right; no helmet; his shield looks like a curved heart(kh heart)with an angel and demon wing on each side; and a tattoo on his right arm that looks like a curved heart(Kh heart)
    About (Personality, backstory, etc.): Being a warrior, he is always ready for combat. He has always had a facination for having two swords at once, but the only swords he could ever find(that he could actually lift and fight with) were either longswords on greatswords. So, he picked a good looking longsword and stuck with it. He also has an uncommon fascination for skeleton keys.

3. Arch Mana Knight

I'd be up for taking an archer on the Provetan side. Just one small question, are all the RPers going to be basically like grunts? Or will there be room for something like an officer or something for the armies(not like a general or something similar)? *Cough*TotallywantstohaveaCaptainorsomething*Cough*

Name: Aiden Gray
    Side: Provetan
    Class: Archer
    Appearance: http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/ArchAwesome1/FFXIV003.jpg
    About: Aiden spent his earlier years as a hunter for his family as they were farmers and could not always survive on their meager crops. He grew up poor but over time he built up a reputation amongst his neighbors and managed to bring his family out of poverty by getting them to move to more fertile lands. Within the last three years he moved away to focus on his own interests now that he knew his family no longer needed him for the extra support. Since then, Aiden has been educated in the most sophisticated manner possible for a Provetan. Upon hearing that war was coming, he immediately put his bow in to help out the cause. Aiden is both clever and bold, always looking for opportunities to use his talents to aid others. Though he does have a slight bit of a temper when it comes to his pride.

4. Always Dance Chaser

When we start, everyone will be on equal ground as rookies who show promise. If we have enough people later on, we may have room for a few people to be promoted.
    Also I'm not sure if I will be participating, controlling npcs and monsters will be a lot to do. If I get back from camp and we don't have enough people to start, I will.

5. Arch Mana Knight

Ah. I see then. Sounds good. 8D I put up my OC in my earlier post.

I'm willing to help out in any way I can. I'll even make a second character on the other side if we don't get enough people.

6. Always Dance Chaser

Well, I'm back....and given the, er, disappointing turn-up here, I don't think this is happening.

7. Always Dance Chaser

Hey everyone.
    I know this is a *pretty bad* necrobump but I got to thinking today. Obviously not a lot of people were interested in this- would a reason for that possibly be the fact that I need to be posting in between fights? Because that doesn't necessarily have to happen, I was thinking today (Talking to friend about programming a turn based RPG) that it wouldn't be that hard for me to make a command-line program that does the damage calculation for you, and trust a few people with it so it's not only me doing it- this could increase speed of battles.

I just randomly thought about this today and was hoping maybe some of you would change your minds, because I really do want to see this happen.

/desperate

8. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

Name: Verdelet (pronounced vur-de-lay)
    Side: Provetan
    Class: Mage
    Appearance: http://www.glogster.com/media/8/38/65/70/38657068.png
    About: Verdelet is a very serious guy and rarely differs from it. He is sometimes thought of as cold. He used to live in Unda, but when the attack happened his parents were killed and he barely escaped. Since then, He has been fighting for his country and holds a strong grudge against Novus. He is a gifted mage. He carries a katana at his waist as a memento from his father, although he never uses it.

if you want i might be able to get a few people to join

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.