Homestuck Original Session Discussion

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Sumi, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sumi suicidé

Okay, So I know that a few have been talking about having our own original Sburb session. So far all that we've really talked about so far has been deciding that it will be separate from the Kids' session. We have also decided it will be played by Earthlings, and that there will be contact between the birthers of the universe - whether we decide to keep it with the trolls on Alternia or create another species/race/etc. or have it be humans or whatever.
    Anyway, Can we discuss the idea of having an original session? We'll need to build most of it, since while there are parallels a lot of each session depends on the players.
    We refers to Plums, What?, and myself as of now.
    /quietly does not know how to post in this section

2. Plums Wakanda Forever

We could always have the other race be Squiddles

Well, we could always have the Peaceful!Alternian Trolls as the mother session, however, have them succeed but choose not to claim their prize (the universe they make) as gods. Though, this just leaves the matter of creating stable time loops (i.e., The trolls/kids being responsible for the other race getting into contact with the trolls/kids in the first place).

Also I am realizing how this makes no sense to those who have not read/have no intention of reading Homestuck, so I am going to leave these "click me" words here to link to a Homestuck summary. (It is currently in Act 5 Act 2. I suggest reading the summaries of the first three acts thoroughly to understand the mechanics of how Sburb works, as well as terms like the "Sylladex", "Strife Specibus", etc. The last two-three acts are basically going to help understand the incredibly contrived concept of WEIRD TIME SHIT, which is a large factor of Homestuck. Just...all of it.)

Also,there's the matter of how many players we're getting involved.
    I'm for having both the trolls and the humans having four players a piece for now, which could change based on how many people want to participate and whatnot.

Though, with Ancestors, WV, Jack, BQ/BK, WQ/WK, we might not have a need to extend the number of players.
    Though that's just speculation on my part. xD

3. What? 『 music is freedom 』

This is an absolutely wonderful idea, I must say.

This particular RP has the potential for a sort of "external" factor - that is, actual RP logs may be conducted through external means (MSN or even the fan-based Pesterchum ), and shall create a richer experience in itself with the RP. The human players should be quite suitable in itself, though we may indeed use either the trolls or another created species altogether as the basis of the ancestor race.

The format for the entry form may be as such:

Name (with a set-letter naming scheme e.g. 6 letters in both the first/last names akin to the trolls?):
    Pesterchum Name:
    Text Colour (possibly with hexadecimal value):
    Appearance:
    Interests (perhaps written in the format of the character introductory paragraphs in Homestuck):
    Modus (Inventory type, may be explained with a link to the Wiki entry):
    Strife Specibus (Weapon type):
    Representative Symbol:

These entry listings may be a bit separate. The players may either set them themselves or they may be decided by an external factor (representing a passive Skaia):
    Title (e.g. Witch of Life - a class then a quality):
    Land (Land of _____ and _____):
    Element:
    Associate Item (e.g. chalk, uranium - usually a mineral/natural substance of some sort):
    Consort (Any type of animal):
    Denizen (A mythological figure to serve as the sort of major boss of your Land):

For example, John's entry form would be as such:

Name (with a set-letter naming scheme e.g. 6 letters in both the first/last names akin to the trolls?): John Egbert
    Pesterchum Name: ectoBiologist
    Text Colour: Dark Blue
    Appearance:
    [​IMG]
    Interests (perhaps written in the format of the character introductory paragraphs in Homestuck): "You have a passion for REALLY TERRIBLE MOVIES. You like to program computers but you are NOT VERY GOOD AT IT. You have a fondness for PARANORMAL LORE, and are an aspiring AMATEUR MAGICIAN. You also like to play GAMES sometimes. " (from: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=001904)
    Modus (Inventory type, may be explained with a link to the Wiki entry): Stack
    Strife Specibus (Weapon type): hammerKind
    Representative Symbol:
    [​IMG]

These entry listings may be a bit separate. The players may either set them themselves or they may be decided by an external factor (representing a passive Skaia):
    Title: Heir of Breath
    Land: Land of Wind and Shade
    Element: Wind
    Associate Item: Oil
    Consort: Salamanders
    Denizen: Typheus

4. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

This seems like a good idea, and I agree with What about using MSN as Pesterchum / Trollian.

5. Jayn

Off topic, but I'm lost and just want quick clarification; This is discussion for a role play you plan on posting, correct?

6. Plums Wakanda Forever

Yeah, it's discussion for a Homestuck RP that we plan on posting.
    ...Unless this is the wrong section for it? :x

7. Jayn

No, you're all good. <3 Just making sure. Carry on.

8. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm all for this, and the Pesterchum usage sounds fantastic.
    Let me know what I can do to help.

9. program Twilight Town Denizen

I would love to rp in this idea, but wouldn't the beginning be quite confusing to others, such as the machines and cards?

10. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Perhaps, in such a case, a brief explanation may be necessary in the first post of the thread - at least for the mechanics of the game. Perhaps a glossary of some sort or a general run-down of various factors found in SBURB (or SKHUB as is Plums' idea). One may also add a recommendation to read Homestuck in itself as well, to receive a greater understanding, but it may not be a mandatory requirement, as long as the others in question may understand the specific mechanics of the game.

11. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Another thing is how many players in the session. It tends to be a multiple of 4.

12. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I have plot ideas.

Oh so many plot ideas.

I would be willing and happy to help with plot structure and mechanics, and also play the role of NPCs as necessary.

If you recall (or have read), it was quite confusing to the players of the game we know and love. Hell, do they know everything about the mechanics to this day? Trial and error would serve players well, I think.

Perhaps there could also be some sort of time-travel mechanic incorporated...

13. Sumi suicidé

sort of maybe definitely did not see that posts were made here
    dsakjg;ksa

I like What?'s idea for the entry form - and also the use of logs. I think that would be pretty darn clever if we could get it to work. Maybe put any logs under a spoiler, posted by one of those who were a part of the log?

14. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

The log idea is nice, I believe the MSPA forums Pesterchum client is often used for the purpose of role playing. For those who are unfamiliar, there are typing quirks built in. (Only particularly relevant for trolls, but eh.) But yeah vouching for that, totally legit and it would be very fun for the players.

15. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Wait...are we doing this? Where making this hapen?

HELL YEAH! I'd be willing to help out in anyway possible.

Will all of our kids be a certain age and from various places across the world?

16. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

If this is still a thing that that exists, oh my god yes. Pesterchum would be so easy to use, and spoiler tags would help with posting logs. I am willing to help as much as possible.

Since this is an original session, one session, will there be trolls, they wouldn't be part of the session, and alternate universe whatnot would get confusing, unless we have the trolls on earth after playing and they play it again?
    Is that awful runon sentence making any sense

17. P Banned

Oho? This looks interesting. I think I'll see where it goes.

To start off on the completely correct foot, I'm for vetoing the inclusion of anyone not familiar with Homestuck. It'll be hard enough to get the mechanics figured out, even without people utterly clueless. Then there's the wacky-time-shenanigans and the other session.

Elitism aside, getting the stuff figured out could be a real pain. I'd suggest getting one person to plan out all the time loops and allocate loops for individual players to fill.

As for the Pesterchum and other cool stuff, here's a generator for pretty much everything, and here's Pesterchum.

Pesterchum works like an IRC client. In fact, it's built upon that system. It is for both Mac and PC, so there are no problems there. It can do memos, timeline-hopping, quirk-automating and pretty much everything the real thing can do. Overall, it's pretty awesome.

I'm nominallyChallenged on it.

18. Sumi suicidé

To be honest, I agree that you should know of and have read Homestuck if participating. What with all the weird time ****. I also second having a designated time-driver who can place loops and basically orchestrate the game.

19. Firekeyblade Hollow Bastion Committee

BLAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YOU'LL NEVER FIND OUT!
    Then that person would be the "admin" of the RP or the Hero of Time sort of person? Also, I'm a bit hesitant with the IMing stuff, but eh.

20. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

Using the generator would create an incredibly fun little mix, though it would require changing one's chumHandle.

For example, I am mysticalTrousers, but after generator...

ballisticQuestioner. Quite interesting, hm?

I'm all for using the generator, pesterChum, a time stabilizer, and only allowing Homestuck readers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.