Implemented 'Rep' or 'Like' a thread

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Mr. Pumpkin, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Mr. Pumpkin Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't really know exactly how this could work, but that's why I put it here so that we can discuss it.

Once in a while I see a good thread that I really like with posts in it that I really enjoy or respect. Now couldn't there be some kind of feature that everyone in that thread that you think had a good post could get some sort of 'rep' or 'like' gift for their contribution to that thread.
    Now I know we have the 'Rate the thread' option with the stars and all, but yeah, that really doesn't contribute to someone personally right? I'd like it more as some kind of reward for making a good thread and/or post in it.

I can't really explain it that well, but does anyone get it?

2. Stardust Chaser

So... like a mass-repping kind of thing for posts/threads?

Well, personally I think being able to rep people individually is enough. If there are several really good posts you see, you can rep the posters. A separate system might be nice, but feels kind of unnecessary to me.
    If I'm misunderstanding what you mean by this though then sorry, lol.

3. Jayn

I visit another vBulletin forum from time to time that has a 'like' feature. It's kind of like those forums where you can 'thank' a user for a post. (Usually for content sharing sites, lawl). But yeah. It shows what users have 'liked' that post. It doesn't matter if you're the thread maker or not. You can always rep individually in addition to it, but clicking the 'like' button adds your name to the list of members that liked the post. It's fun if you've recently repped someone, but still want to show you approval of the post/thread. Also, it makes the thread creator (or poster) feel all warm and fuzzy when someone 'likes' it.

Edit: On this particular forum, there is also a mod that shows how many 'Likes' (or thanks) a user has recieved/given on their user profile, so it was easy for me to find helpful/respectable members based off of that system.

At this moment, I'm neutral towards this suggestion. Wouldn't hurt anybody, and it's kind of neat...but it's not very necessary, either.

4. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I am also on the forum that has this feature. It's really neat but I agree with Jayn. We don't really need it. So I'm neutral for the moment too.

5. Daenerys Targaryen ok

I think it's a good idea. Even though it might not need it.

6. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I'm basically neutral for this idea. I mean, there is a difference between Liking something and showing something like stars or rep. You can get a better judgement with stars/rep/ect. And yet, like is much easier.

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Isn't that what the rating stars are for?

Though it'd be nice to have something like "Reps: #" like, 'this many members recommend/enjoy this thread.'

8. Plums Wakanda Forever

I always thought this too.

I'm not really sure if this would be really be needed. I'm off/on another forum that has this, and I always thought it functioned more or less like Rep. So I don't necessarily want it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it either, I guess.

9. Jayn

The site I go to has both reputation and the like feature. Not every post/thread warrants rep (the value of rep has kind of decreased on KHV for some). It also provides an alternative. Sometimes you don't want to post in a thread, even if you enjoy following it or approve it's existence. (Especially if you'd have to tack on random stuff to make said post relevant, when you really just want a way to say 'I approve'.) Same with a post. Repping people is great for that kind of acknowledgement--until you have to rep a certain amount of people before repping the same user; considering the 'like' feature is available for all posts in general, including the OP.

A (really awful and messy) screen shot of what it looks like on this particular site is here; This post was a poem.

[​IMG]

10. Misty gimme kiss

A lot of vBulletin sites are installing the modification; the one Jayn pictured is with the modification vBSEO (which does a lot more than just a Like system, and is paid), but there is a free one out there.

Personally, I don't love it. I think that thread ratings/reputation are sufficient--it'd just be kind of redundant, to me.

11. Jayn

> Pending suggestion bump.

Does anyone have any other opinions on this?

12. Mixt The dude that does the thing

One thing to point out on this one is that "we have thread ratings" doesn't really apply because it is almost never used.

I'm rather neutral on this too (unfortunately). I could see myself using it if we had it but it isn't something I've ever wanted here. I'm leaning a bit on yes, but I also need to take a closer look at the mod later.

13. P Banned

Against it. I'm a simple man of simple pleasures, and having two rep systems (three if you count thread ratings) is about as far from simple as one can get, topped only by certain variants of rituals for summoning Yog Soggoth.

14. Jayn

I'm not really fighting for it, but I want to say that I personally never use thread ratings. xD It's unspecific, and unless there's a way to see who voted what that I haven't seen yet, it just kind of seems there to me. It also rates the entire thread instead of an individual post.

I also wouldn't consider the 'like' a second rep system, since it would hopefully be limitless and it wouldn't really count for anything but acknowledgement. Meaning instead of getting the warning signifying that I've repped to many things lately, or that I can't rep the same person again because I haven't been giving out rep recently, I could just like the post...for acknowledgment purposes, if I didn't feel like posting.

But ultimately this is another bump post, because this thread has sat here unresolved for so long.