The Holmes Legacy

Discussion in 'Archives' started by ShibuyaGato, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I'm just not good at coming up with decent titles.

Please just enjoy my fanfic of Sherlock Holmes.

The girl was beginning to awake. It was dark and she couldn't see a thing. Her hands and feet were bound with rope and she was scared. Panic consumed every inch of her being.

What? W-where am I? How did I get here?

She thought of her mother and of her whole childhood, as if she were about to die. She thought of her mother's constant trips to go see the man she adored more than any of her previous husbands. Every time she would come back from a meeting with him, be it intentional or not, she would smile. She loved every moment spent with him and he loved her just as much, or so she had been told. The little girl was left home alone whenever this happened, and her bedtime stories were always filled with the endeavors of this great man.

However, things were... complicated between the two of them.

On occasion, she would hear her mother crying in her room. The door would be shut and her tears, no matter how hard she tried to suppress them, could faintly be heard in the hall. When the little girl would wish her mother a good morning she would often find a pool of tears on her pillow and sheets. It was hard for a child of her age to understand, but she tried as best as she could to figure it out; for as long as she could remember she was hellbent on solving every mystery that came her way.

The girl was brought back to the present by a low rumbling in the distance. She worked out that she was in some type of factory, most likely on the Thames with the rest. As she tried again to open her eyes, she felt a door open in front of her. From this, she was able to deduce that they were keeping her in a specfic room of this factory, but why? Who would ever do this to her and why would they care about a teenage girl anyway? She kept as still as possible, breathing slowly through her mouth to try and fool her captors. It seemed to work as the man that had entered began to yell unintelligbly and closed the door. She sighed softly to herself and began to try and free her hands from the rope. The skin on her wrists began to burn as she relentlessly tried to escape. Time passed, yet it felt like she had just woken up. She began to lose hope and, consequently, her attempts became more desperate. Water was pooling up around her eyes.

So this is how I am to die… I only pray to see my mother once more.

At that moment a noise came from outside the door. It sounded like the man who had come to look at her was yelling. His cries were cut short and everyone in the factory seemed to scream, running towards the man that had fallen. She was able to make out the last word that he had attempted to communicate to his co-workers.

"Holm-"

No. It couldn't be him. He couldn't possibly care about one girl, could he? Unless…

She looked up as if praying to God and whispered something to herself.

"Mother, your angel of mystery came through for me. I suppose he really is as reliable as you believed him to be."

As everything fell silent, she turned to where the door should have been and began to scream as hard as she could, slowly regaining the hope that had seemed so far off only moments ago.

"Here! I am here!"

She could hear faint running and the door swung open. Silence fell over them for a moment, as if this man was examining her. Like she was a precious gem that had to be inspected for flaws or impurities.

"Forgive me my tardiness, but there were far too many brutes. Honestly, young men today are so uncivilized."

There was almost a playful tone to his voice in that last remark, as if he were trying to lift her spirits. He succeeded and she chuckled quietly.

"Well, I suppose I could forgive you. Now please, could you help me out of these ropes?"

"Your wish is my command, m'lady."

Before undoing any of her restraints, he took off a blindfold that had been tied on her face. As it fell off, she cringed at the soft light of the factory. It seemed blinding given the fact that she could only see black a moment ago. It had been on very tight, and the relief that washed over her almost caused her to forget about the burning pain in her wrists. By the time she could see once more, the man had already begun freeing her wrists. She was unable to catch a glimpse of his face and the man she had heard of for so many years seemed more elusive now than ever.

"You were obviously straining to escape, there's a tremendous amount of blood on the floor."

He gently lifted her wrists and looked them over, making sure not to cause her more pain.

"You need medical treatment immediately. Come with me, my friend is quite the renowned doctor."

Not once did he stop trying to undo the binding as he spoke. He was always keeping himself busy with some task or train of thought. He was exactly the man that her mother always spoke of. She felt something fall to the floor and once the ropes were fully undone, he took a knife from his sleeve and cut the restraints to her ankles. Standing himself up from the muddy ground, he held out his hand to help her do the same.

“Honestly, if you’d had the knife, you could have cut the first binding instead of fiddling with it for so long.”

“I had presumed that a girl such as yourself would be relentless in her efforts to escape, and with that established, checking for any flesh wounds was a major concern of mine. If I had simply cut the ropes, your injuries could have become quite infected. Amputation is a terrible fate, especially for one so young.”

She looked at him and checked her wrists, which were swollen and bloodied. She realized then that this could only be the great detective who had aided Scotland Yard so many times and never shown his face in the papers, the man who had been idolized in bedtime tales for years and years by her mother, the man who always came through for those he cared for. There was no doubt now that her mother had been the one to contact him for this case, as he was the only one that she could trust with her child’s safety. He was the only one that her mother could ever trust with anything.

She put on a smile and nodded her approval of his methods and concern. She could only imagine how much her mother must have begged him to take the case and what secrets she must have held over his head. Blackmail was always a favorite of hers among men. As she took his hand and steadied herself, he began to walk out the door and into the factory to investigate. He had his back turned to her as he began to speak.

“Just out of curiosity, what is your name?”

“Holly… Holly Adler.”

He turned around with a wide smile on his face. It was almost as if he'd had a revelation.

“Really, don't you find it odd that you've kept your mother's last name?”

“I never knew my father. I don't even know if he's alive, and I honestly don’t care about him.”

She spoke with a bitterness about her father. Her mother had married many men in her life, and some of them were worse people than she ever was. She knew all about what her mother did, but it was what she did to survive; she did it for the both of them. Her father was the scum of the earth as far as she was concerned. He had left her mother with the burden of a child, possibly even knowing about her... occupation. He could be rotting in a hole and she would only scoff at the thought.

“Hmm. Most intriguing...”

Sitting on a barrel near the door, he put his hands together as he did when he was thinking of the possible solutions to a problem. She stood there, arms crossed, and wondered why he was taking such a sudden interest in all of this. He put his hands down and looked her straight in the eye, a new found confidence in his face.

“Well, Holly, I believe that I can tell you a few things about your life. You are a girl of about fifteen years of age and in those fifteen years you have met your father only once. Your mother would always tell you tales of how they first met and she would run off to visit him quite often.”

“Wait… what are y-”

She stopped herself from speaking further as the pieces began to fit into place.

“Well, now I can see why my mother chose my first name, but how long have you known about this, Mr. Holmes?”

“Well now, the answer to that is quite obvious. I have known since your mother told me, Holly Holmes.”
    Very predictable, I know, but I hope to thicken the plot a bit as time goes on. Also, keep in mind that this is the great Sherlock Holmes here. It's not exactly easy for a teenager to write a plot for Sherlock Holmes.

2. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

Okay, when I saw this, I was like, " bleh, I've got nothing better to do" but the story really pulled me in, this holy girl seems interesting, please post moar soon :3

3. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Thank you gabr. Now to write more pointless fanfiction.

He smiled at her, knowing how she may react. He was prepared for the worst, though he hadn't dealt with children much in his time as a consulting detective. Regardless, he should have expected this type of predicament when he first fell in love with Irene. She had been the most beautiful thing he'd ever seen. The first time they had spoken, he was left speechless. She was breathtaking and, for the first time in his life, he was left utterly vulnerable. Their first battle of wits had proven to him that they were meant to be. She was the most devious person he had met; when they would meet, he would feel an epiphany of joy.

He looked back at this girl, Holly. She was the spitting image of her mother, yet she seemed to be quite clever. Perhaps that was a shared trait between the two of them, or had she gained her mother's devious nature? Either way, he would be dead before anyone lay another finger on her.

"Holmes... HOLMES!"

"Hmm?"

He had gotten lost in his train of thought. She was still standing there, probably trying to figure out what he could possibly be conjuring up in his head.

"I think we should go. My wrists are going to become quite a problem unless we head out."

"Oh yes. We should probably have Watson take a look at that."

He stood up and brushed himself off, having been so preoccupied with Holly's safety up until now. He walked toward her and took her hand, making sure that she would be safe until they reached the boat outside. She took it without a word and they walked out onto the bank of the river Thames. They took a moment to appreciate the sunrise and breathe fresh air, as Holly hadn't done so in quite some time.

My, it's so beautiful. I've never been this far out of the city before.

He looked at her as she stared in amazement, as if this was the first sunrise she'd ever seen. He smiled to himself and looked out on the river, searching for his vessel.

"Ah, here we are."

He pointed out to a steamship and motioned for her to follow him. She did. They ran at a steady pace making sure not to tire themselves out. When they reached the ship, Holmes let go of her hand and climbed onto the deck. Sitting down on a little bench, he picked up a shovel full of coal dust and began to prod something.

"Wha-? Oh, it's you. Did ya find the lass?"

"Aye. She should be climbing aboard any moment now."

Holly looked up and saw Holmes nod in her direction. She took his cue and began to climb onto the boat, making sure to find secure footing. The last thing she needed now was to fall into the river. She was quite glad to be wearing pants in place of a dress. As she began to grow accustomed to the rocking motion of the boat, she sat down next to her father. She was exhausted by what had happened and she wanted to lay down and take a nap. She couldn't.

"Aye, so this be the lass you came for... well, she's a beauty, I'll give ye that!"

"Indeed. Tanner, this is Holly Adler. Surely you remember our little escapade with her mother, Irene?"

"Of course! I couldn't forget that lass if I tried. Now then, shall we be off?"

He looked right at Holly and she simply nodded. She wondered which escapade they had been on and quickly dismissed the thought. She could ask her when they reached their destination, which was most likely Baker Street. As the ship began to move, she grew more tired. The serenity of sleep drew her in until she couldn't resist it any longer. She put her head onto Holmes' shoulder and let her dreams swallow her.

~

He couldn't help but wonder what must be going through her head. She must be thinking about her mother and about her newfound father. Father. Holmes couldn't help but feel a tiny bit of guilt wash over him at the thought of that word. He had never been there for her, and as a result she had dismissed the idea of having a father completely. He wanted to let her in, but he had no idea how to begin. They were both unaccustomed to having one another, so there would have to be a learning period for the both of them. This fact comforted him, as maybe she would grow to care for him in that time.

Suddenly, he felt something. He looked to see Holly laying her head on his shoulder, about ready to collapse from exhaustion. She must be tired, as no person should have to go through what she did today. Still, she had handled it fairly well. Many adults would have panicked in her place, but this girl of only fifteen years had gone about it logically. She may have panicked in trying to free her hands from their binding, but that was something of a natural response. Perhaps this girl was his child after all. He smiled and put his hand on hers, letting her enjoy the sweetness of her dreams.

~

"What happened? Why would they do this to her?"

"I have no idea. If nothing else, they might have used her to get to you... or to me."

"What? Why? And how could they have gotten into my home like that? I make sure that the door is locked before leaving her alone!"

"Now calm down, there's no need to shout. Holmes, you're lucky that she gave up when she did. If she had tried any harder, her wrists might've been permanently damaged. For now, she's fine. I've made sure to disinfect the wounds and they should be healing as we speak."

"Oh, thank you Doctor. If there's ever anything I can do-"

"Well, you could begin by telling me why I never knew that she even existed."

"...Sherlock, this isn't exactly the best time."

"Right now, I have no interest in whether or not it's the best time for you. When I asked her about her father-"

"I never knew how to explain! I thought you'd have figured it out by now, but apparently, you hadn't. Are you sure your deductive skills are as sharp as they used to be?"

"This is hardly the time for sarcastic remarks, Irene! She openly told me that she didn't care about her father! Do you know how it feels to be resented by a daughter you never knew existed?"

"Wait, Holmes! Well, he's in quite the foul mood."

"It's my fault. Please don't blame him doctor... I should've told him before now."

"It's alright, I don't blame either of you. Do you want to see her? She should be waking up any second now."

~

"Holly? Holly, wake up."

She groaned and slowly began to awaken.

Wait... what?

As she studied her surroundings, she saw that they were in a room. Hadn't they just been on a steamboat? How could she have gotten here? She got up from a black leather couch and stretched her arms. As she brought them back down in front of her, she saw that her wrists were covered in bandages. Had the doctor already looked at them? How long had she been asleep? There were so many questions she could ask, but the most important was the last one that came to mind.

Wait... was that a woman's voice?

She sat up and looked at the lone door on the other side of the room. She smiled and ran towards it as quickly as her numb legs would allow. Her head was spinning but she couldn't care less. All she cared about right now was seeing the woman on the other side of the door. She opened it hastily and was a bit surprised by what she found.

"Ah, you're finally awake. That's good, Watson was growing quite worried."

It was Holmes. He was leaning against the wall, arms crossed, with a stern look about him. His face seemed almost emotionless, as if he were staring at a criminal.

"So, I suppose you'd like to know how long you were asleep."

"Y-yes. I was just thinking about that."

She stuttered, not because she was still groggy, but because his cold stare began to frighten her. He hadn't looked at her like this since their first meeting at the factory. He seemed to be studying her appearance, her actions. It scared her to death, though she tried hard not to show it.

There were footsteps, as if someone were coming up the steps behind him.

"Oh, Holly!"

"Mom!"

Her mother ran up to her and she caught her in a hug, as if she had come back from the ends of the earth. Holmes closed his eyes and let his head drop, as if he was in deep thought. As Holly and Irene let go of each other, they both smiled, knowing that the other was still alive.

"Well, this is quite the touching reunion."

More footsteps could be heard from downstairs, but they weren't rushed at all. They were quite calm, and Holly assumed that it was Watson. These suspicions were confirmed when she heard him speaking from the first floor.

"Ah, so you're finally awake. Are you hungry? Mrs Hudson is making tea and scones."

She smiled and looked down over the railing at him.

"Yes, I'll be down in a bit. Thank you doctor."

"Oh please, call me Watson. There's no need to be so formal."

"Alright. Thank you Watson."

He smiled back at her as he disappeared into another room. Holly stepped back and went over recent events in her head, trying to remember what had happened to her before waking up in the factory. Nothing came back to her.

But did it really matter? She was reunited with her mother, she finally met her father who happened to be the man that she had idolized since she was a child, and everything seemed to be looking good for her. She looked back at Holmes, who seemed to have cheered up a bit and started to speak in something of a playful tone.

"Father, you never did tell me how long I was asleep."

He seemed to smile at that remark, though it looked quite forced, and looked at her.

"It's quite simple really. We had a carriage waiting for us when we arrived at shore, and from there we arrived to Baker Street, where you are now. All in all, you've been asleep for about... twenty six hours? Give or take."

"What!?"

4. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Red text means something needs to be changed or deleted.

Green text means something needs to be added.

5. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Alright. I'll have to fix that up when I get back on a computer (on my iPod right now). Thanks Makaze.

EDIT: Alright, that should do it. Any errors that I can see have all been fixed.

6. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Alright, time for the third update. I've been writing and editing this one by hand for quite some time, and I hope you'll all find it enjoyable.

"What do you mean I've been asleep for twenty six hours? It couldn't have been for such a long time!"

"Well, it was. Perhaps you should be turning your attention towards other things instead of screaming out your doubts."

"Sherlock, remember who you're dealing with here."

"No mum... I can handle this."

Holmes seemed pleased with himself at this turn of events as a grin was slowly spreading across his face. This would be the first time that Holly would really have the chance to stand up for herself, and she wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to put her deductive skills to the test by emulating him. She only wondered why her father could be acting as he was.

"So, you seem to be in something of a foul mood. I believe the cause of this stems from one of two possibilities."

"Oh? Pray tell, what could possibly be upsetting me?"

She crossed her arms and looked him sternly in the eye, displeased with the bitterness and sarcasm in his voice.

"You can stop the act now, Holmes. I've grown quite tired of it."

He seemed both amused and surprised at her sudden rebuttal, and crossed his arms, still leaning against the wall. He was listening very carefully from here on.

"As I was saying, the reasons for your little attitude are limited, given my being asleep for so long. You also seem to be directing your hatred towards me, so it likely involves either my captivity, or possibly something I said."

Both Sherlock and Irene took a bit of an interest in her last remark. She was doing well, but could she follow through?

"Now, thinking back on the events of the past day or so, you didn't seem to take much, if any interest in anything I said. You could've masked your reaction fairly well, given your nature to put aside most emotion while on a case. I wasn't able to speak much while on the boat, so it had to have been sometime before. Likewise, it could only be after we left that cramped room in the factory. GIven this, it must have been about the time you asked me of... oh my god."

When she realized what it was, she began to stagger backwards, as if she was recoiling from a heavy blow.

But... no... NO!

With that, she ran back into the empty room, nearly falling into that black couch, which seemed to comfort her amidst her doubts. It couldn't be true. He was too good, too smart for that kind of emotion. The man who wasn't afraid of bullets, criminals, danger or death couldn't be fazed by a single statement from his daughter... could he? She took a moment to think things over, still unsure of what could really be going on.

No, that couldn't possibly be the explanation... could it? Honestly, I always believed that my father never cared. To think that all this time, he only never knew... I feel like such a fool. I should've seen it when he asked me about my father! DAMN IT!

She felt a tear fall from the corner of her eye and she hastily wiped it off. The next moment, the door opened. She could only look down at the floorboards, shamed by her ignorance and unable to look her father in the eye. The footsteps grew steadily closer and she felt the couch sink a bit as he sat down beside her. He put his hand on her shoulder. She quickly looked up in disbelief.

"Well..."

He seemed to be picking his words carefully, which meant that he probably wanted to avoid hurting her further. This made her feel better already.

"Well, to be perfectly honest, your powers of deduction frighten me a bit."

He gave a small smile and Holly could tell that he was trying to be sincere. All of her guilt and all of her doubts left her instantaneously.

~

As she paced around the hall, explaining her line of logic, Irene began to see just how much her daughter resembled Holmes. It was almost frightening to imagine, but it only proved that he couldn't possibly stay mad at her. There were so few people in this world who knew him, who truly understood him, that he couldn't possibly afford to hate her forever. She smiled on at her daughter, proud of what she had grown to become.

~

Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise? She has a fair amount of reasoning and logic. She may be too broad with her explanation, but she's clearly only making it up as she goes along. All in all, she's not bad. A bit of time to hone her skills and she could do great things in the future.

When she stormed off into the room, Irene's first reaction was to chase after her. Holmes grabbed her by the wrist and tried to calm her down.

"No. She'll likely want a moment to herself, to think things over. When she's had that time, allow me to go after her."

"She's beside herself with guilt, Sherlock. Right now, she needs her mother."

"No, she needs to see me. If I forgave her, she would feel much better. Besides that... we all have to let go eventually, Irene."

As she heard the sincerity in his voice, she figured that something was wrong. He must've done something bad, or he wouldn't be nearly this persistent. She had no idea what it could be, but when she found out, she would probably be furious.

"Well, your spirits seem to have lifted all of a sudden.

She looked him in the eye, knowing she may be incredibly upset with him in a matter of moments.

"Oh, I'm still quite agitated. I simply wanted the chance to gauge her natural abilities."

"You sneaky bastard... are you saying that this was a test?"

"Well, I suppose it could be seen as such, though, in reality, it was far more than just a test."

"No it wasn't."

Watson looked up at them from below, carrying a silver tray of tea and assorted snacks. He began to walk carefully up the steps, making sure not to spill anything.

"I know you better than most, Holmes, and this was nothing more than a test for her."

"Why I never! I will not stand here and be accused of such... such blasphemy when my daughter is crying on her own in this very room!"

Watson glared at him as he usually did while Holmes was spouting utter nonsense. Holmes simply ignored it and opened the door to Holly's room. Her head suddenly dropped, as if she was ashamed of his very presence. She was likely feeling guilty over her deduction. He calmly walked over to the couch and sat beside her, making sure to be gentle with her. He thought about how much potential she had and quickly dismissed it. That was the last thing that should be on his mind at this exact moment. He attempted to comfort her by putting his hand on her shoulder, and she suddenly looked up at him. Had it been because of his sudden "change of heart" or was it something else that caused her to look so surprised? He simply pushed on in his attempt to comfort her and tried to compliment her.

"Well..."

He pondered the next few words, trying to keep the situation from getting worse.

"Well, to be perfectly honest, your powers of deduction frighten me a bit."

He gave a tiny smile and attempted to explain the situation to her as best as he could, making sure to leave out the minute, unnecessary details about himself.

~

"So, this was basically to gauge my deductive prowess?"

Watson brought the tray in a few seconds after Holmes had begun to explain things. Her mother was likely in the hall, making sure that he didn't let anything horrid slip out of his mouth. There were so many people caring for her at this one moment; it made her quite happy.

As Holly sipped on a cup of tea, her third since the pot had been brought in, Holmes continued to explain the situation, still munching on the occasional snack. She barely paid him any mind as the big question still lay in the back of her mind, how had she been captured in the first place?

Nothing. Not a single memory remained, if there had even been any. Had they done it while she was asleep? Had they knocked her on the head hard enough to give her a case of amnesia? She was becoming furious at her failure to recall that single day. Anything else was fresh in her mind yet that one day continued to elude her.

Holmes went on explaining, quite possibly aware of the struggle going on in her mind.

"Mmm... correct. I had to confirm my suspicions and quell any doubts that I may have had about you."

"But why should you have any doubts when it comes to your daughter? Couldn't you have just given me an old case to test me instead?"

"No. Knowing your mother, you've likely heard tales of all my previous misadventures."

He was right. Her mother had told her all of the stories hundreds of times. She had lived and breathed his escapades as a child.

"Well then, it seems we are at a stalemate. You doubt my methods and I would like to continue tracking your progress over time. How then do you suppose we remedy this predicament?"

A knocking came from the door. It was wide open, but given the fact that the two of them were in the midst of a heated discussion, it was best to advise them that someone wanted to enter, speak or otherwise beforehand.

It was Irene. She seemed a bit concerned and she asked to see Holmes alone for a minute. He agreed and Holly simply sat in the room contemplating his parting query.

The door closed behind Holmes and Irene immediately began to speak.

"Sherlock, I know what you're probably thinking."

"Irene, please... trust me with our child. You know I only have her best intentions in-"

"I know... and I trust you."

Holmes was almost stunned by her reaction. Almost. He managed to keep a straight face and cleared his throat a bit before she spoke again.

"You know how things are with my... current employer, so I think she'd be better off with you for now."

Holmes remembered his last battle of wits with her employer, Moriarty. He immediately saw why she was hellbent on her staying with him. It was far safer for her here than anyplace else, as no man would dare to walk into the home of the great Sherlock Holmes.

"Just promise me one thing before I go."

"Anything. I know that her safety is your major point of concern."

Especially in light of recent events...

"Promise me that you'll go easy on her. Don't push her too hard too fast."

"Understood."

He let out a soft smile as she began to grab her belongings from the rack in front of the door. The last thing she wanted was to be late to a meeting with Moriarty. Just as she was ready to bolt out of the house, she turned back to say one last thing.

"Oh, and Sherlock?"

"Hmm?"

She mouthed three words and left without another glance, rushing off to her meeting with the dastardly professor.

He smiled, beside himself with joy. It took him quite a few minutes to realize that he had left his daughter alone in an upstairs room, but as soon as he did, nothing could stop him. He rushed off, making sure to keep the facts straight in his head. She would be his responsibility from her on, and he meant to do things the right way.

He would never forsake her again.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Just letting you know that people are reading this.

I've never watched Sherlock before (that's what it's based on, right?), but this is still pretty cool. If you wanted, you could stop right now and have a good story, or you could keep going and--pardon the cliché--see just how far the rabbit hole goes.

Either way, I'm quite pleased with your writing, and can't wait to see more, whether it be this or something new. :D

8. ShibuyaGato Transformation

I just wanted to bump this to do two things.

First, I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to 200+ views on this thread. This may be more of a cult hit compared to other stories on KHV, but I hope that you all continue to stay with me as I try to keep this thing going.

Second, I'd like to announce that the rough draft of the fourth update is done and has been for a day or so now. I still have to type it all out and make some edits, but due to school projects and homework, it may not be posted for a bit. Please just be patient, as I want to upload it as much as you all want it released. I'll do what I can, but my studies are a difficult thing to get around, as I have all honors and one college level class to keep up with.

Again, thank you all for the support, whether it be in this thread, in VMs, or just in the forum itself, I really appreciate it.