Role-Play Arena Suggestions.

Discussion in 'Role Play Discussion' started by Jayn, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayn

SUGGESTIONS

After my recently bumping the old RPA Suggestions thread, I decided to reorganized some stuff and make some things easier for you guys to find. This thread can be used for suggesting Role Play Arena ideas or changes. This includes projects and events, forum organization, and other such changes. I will do my best to implement what I can, and openly discuss your ideas with you. Please respect that not everything can go through, but I'll always do what I can and be fair about.

As you can see below, quite a bit of suggestions go through, so it doesn't hurt to ask!

IMPLEMENTED

OOC Section / Make-Over ( x | x )

Competition Event / OC Competition ( x | x )

RP Idol More Interactive ( x )

RP Helpers ( x | x )

Extended RP/Advanced Prefix ( x )

Hall of Fame? ( x )
    PENDING

UNAPPROVED

Told you almost everything goes through --*shot*

2. Jayn

So. I'm not sure if you guys remember the first time the RP Arena was revamped. It was right after I became a mod, and a lot of the sections were deleted and everything was all reorganized and yes.
    One of the original plans of that was to have an Archive of old, closed RPs, so instead of them sitting in the sections they were in, all RPs would be in one Archive ... Or, graveyard, almost.

So, instead of doing that, I was wondering what you guys would think about a Hall of Fame? Instead of a full blown Archive where all of the sections would meld together and rot in their graves (lol), RPs that finished would be moved to a special Hall of Fame section and honored for ... finishing. Since a lot of RPs don't ever reach an end, it'd be kind of nice for the ones that do to be honored, I think, and it may actually improve dedication around here because you would have something to shoot for? Like, an accomplishment. And maybe those who stuck with the RP until the end would be awarded something.

Anyway, just a suggestion. We have four subsections right now. The most on the site is seven, SO WE'RE IN THE CLEAR--*shot*

Opinions?

3. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

That sounds like a marvelous idea, I'd think there are plenty of members who would enjoy reading some of a completed RP, as well as the members who were part of the RP. As you said, I also see it as a great thing for the players to have a finish line to strive for eventually. Getting to see their cumulative work etched into the history of the Role-Play section just sounds enticing.

4. Britishism Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm all for that. It almost doubles as an incentive for finishing your RP, inspiring you to get your own special honor. It would probably give an activity boost, at least it terms pf people viewing, so I think it's a great idea.

5. Jayn

Thank you for all of your opinions/support! <:

If anyone else sees this, please voice your opinion. If you don't say anything, I won't know if you're against or for it and I don't really want to act on two other opinions... :c

6. CrownMoksha Decimo

Sounds like a great idea to me. It certainly beats searching through all the pages for a completed Rp.

7. Jayn

Thank youuu.

Any more opinions?

8. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I definitely like this idea. It seems like it would be a really small section at first, but hopefully it would motivate people to be more active and complete their RPs (like me <<)

9. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

I also want to put forth my support for this suggestion. It sounds like a brilliant idea to me!
    I've been in a lot of RPs... but only one has ever fully reached the end of it's story.

I do want to ask a question though...
    what about really long RPs like the Cove? I mean, it's close to hitting the 5000 mark right now which means that thread will soon be locked and another will be created.
    Would that 'locked' thread have to wait for the Cove as a whole to finish? (which quite frankly, is going to be a long continuous project which'll likely last years) or will that thread as it would be a 'completed' thread also receive recognition and be put in the complete section?
    After all, a completed RP is amazing, but an RP thread reaching the full 5000 posts is also something that is pretty incredible.
    I think that such a feat also deserves similar recognition personally. But that's just my own opinion. XD
    Either way, I support the idea regardless.

*double thumbs up*

10. Lite The Future

I fully support this idea. I think RPs that reached an end deserve to be shown to all, because the creator and the participants involved put a lot of hard work into their RP and made it to the final chapter of their story.

I would also like an answer to this question. Not many RPs reach the point of needing a new thread.

11. Jayn

I'm not really sure, because while 5000 is a great accomplishment, it's also ...but a number? Threads were only closed after that point because of the server, now it's just habit, but not necessity to close them. That's just to say that it's not really ... a special number, unless we're talking about Last Person to Post (because it kind of needs to be closed). In other words, 5k+ threads don't need to be closed anymore.

That being said...I'm neutral on that suggestion, haha. They'd all be in one section so it could be a little disorganized with over 5k threads and actually finished ones. I do agree that CC should be recognized in some way, I'm just not sure if that way should be measured by post count, since it should be something that's easily applied to other RPs and still fits into the realm of 'finished' ... or something. Hmm. I'm not saying no, I'm still in brain-storming mode! xD

12. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Um would it be possible bring back the extended rp section? Or even just have it as a classification option? Somewhere that only people who are quite serious about rping and want to do really long posts each time can go or show that a high standard of rping is expected? I'm not quite sure how to phrase this.

13. Jayn

It was removed because virtually no one used it at all. It was an entire section with like one active rp at a time and if someone wants to make an rp with long posts that's srs all they have to do it state that that's what it is and boot anyone who isn't following that guideline. Feel free to fight me on it.

14. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

This is something I concur with.
    Not that the extended section was used all that much in the past, I still feel it would have a good place in the RP section.

There are a lot of people who love to put a lot of detail in RP posts, and expect for such detail to be returned in other posts.
    On the other hand, not that there is anything wrong with it, but some people aren't as detailed and have relatively short posts.
    Everyone has their own style of RPing of course, and that's awesome.

But there are members out there who may be looking for a higher standard of RPing where all people taking part are posting at that higher level of detail.
    Some people might want to make RPs where only high detailed (in other words... 'lengthy') posts should be expected at all times, but there isn't a section for it any more obviously like there used to be.
    I think that re-adding in the extended section would help solve this and would also not cause a dividing issue between RPers of different natures. I know that some people would be concerned of a divide occurring, but past implementations of the extended RP section are proof against this because it was never an issue before.

Simply having the section again would give people the added option of a place to go when they are seeking to:
    A) Make RPs where only extended posts are expected.
    B) Find RPs where only extended posts are expected.
    C) Feel comfortable in doing the above two options.

Currently, I think there is a fear of seeming snobbish or whatever for creating such RPs which expect such posts (and a fear of causing insult to other RPers), but in my experience of when the extended RP classification existed, this was never an issue because it was an actual place to put the RPs, so people going into the section would know what to expect, and people who weren't interested could just avoid that section entirely.

Sorry if I've rambled here, but I'm tired and rambling is what I do... it helps me try to find the right words... XD
    I can try to explain more and discuss if need be, so yeah.[DOUBLEPOST=1348089233][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT:

Jayn Ninja'd me with this point... ;_;

But alrighty, if that's possible then I see no issue. Albeit, I still feel that there would be no harm in re-adding the section. That's just my own personal opinion, and it would still add organisational value to those who are looking specifically for extended post RPs.
    It's easier to find them in other words. lol
    But yeah, that's all else I can say really.

15. Jayn

It was just so inactive and is so easily substituted that it just seems counter-productive to have it back. However, I would not mind talking to Misty about adding an 'Advanced' prefix to the RPA and Original RP, if only for the sake of organization and those RPs being easier to find, if that's a good compromise.

16. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

I personally think that sounds great if I'm understanding what you mean right.
    And yeah, I completely get what you mean about how it'd seem counter-productive so this seems like a perfect compromise to the situation.

17. Jayn

The prefix/advanced idea is now implemented. Enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.