The Crucible

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sanya, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Gah, this book pisses me off in so many ways... I can't believe we are forced to read in school.

It's just pathetic... the way Puritans ran things. Anyone else read it?

2. La Sofa ('_')-l3 No worries

Sounds pretty lame. Never heard of it though.

3. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I loved reading The Crucible. It illustrates how well that anyone can be so easily manipulated and the hysteria that led up to tragedy.

I made such a great Rev. Parris. :3

4. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Yeah, I just don't like how the girls get away with false accusions of witchcraft. I mean Rev. Hale knew it, John Proctor knew it, Elizabeth knew it, and even Mary Warren knew it. But no, she turns on him at the last second... wtf?

The only character I really liked was Giles, he caused so many disputes. xD

Then pressed to death...

*Kicks Danforth*

5. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Well you have to remember that the Puritans were God-fearing and highly superstitious people. You could have been accused of being a witch for just about anything.

Take for example a woman's husband dies and she starts managing the household and starts working the farm. The neighbors start spreading rumors that the widow is a witch in the hopes of her being killed so either of the neighbors will get the land.

Or say that you don't appear at church due to your mother having an illness. You could be accused of witchcraft.

In fact one of the accused is Mrs. Proctor since she didn't approve of John having an affair. John Proctor becomes accused since he wouldn't divorce his wife.

I could go on for hours. xD

6. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Exactly. xD

The court failed to realize all that the whole thing was just a big revenge plot. Like when Putnam had Ruth accuse Jacobs just because he knew he was the only one in Salem that could afford his land. Witches had nothing to do with it...

But your right about Puritans, basicly any wrong doing against the Bible placed your fate in Hell. If you ever read... I think it's called something like "In the Hands of an Angry God", it just shows how much they did infact fear God's wrath and your doing on Earth. xD

As for John Proctor, that whole thing was a revenge plot too. Abigail even says " I never meant this for you John", obviously wanting Elizabeth's place as his wife. I like in the movie when John says "No Abigail, we won't next meet on a boat... but in Hell." xD

*Insert scary Abigail face here*

7. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I have the exact same reason for loving The Crucible so much xD it burns with injustics but as a reflection of the time it is portraying I think it is excellent ^^

No one could protest because then they too would be accused, everyone trapped in silence by fear.

We studied it in Theatre Studies before <_> and I was Abigail 8D

8. Ratchet Bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong!

I was made to study The Crucible as well (yes, it's that old). I think it just about put me off the book. I can remember most of it though so I would imaging that I learned something from it. It's basically a study of mass hysteria and a lie gone totally out of control, fueled by intolerance and superstition.