Discussion in 'Literature' started by O R A N G E, Nov 16, 2007.

1. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

between an erupting earth and an exploding sky
    Ugh.

I read it for school last month.

I. Hated. It.

It was incredibly spirit-killing and made you think of all of the bad things that could happen. I would rather spend time reading a book that makes you think of good things we can do to keep our world the way it is and eliminate war rather than bad things that could happen and ways to prevent them

1984 did not do this.

Thoughts?

2. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Firstly YAY you got your name change xD

Secondly, yes I have read it, I read it though choice and oh how I wish I hadn't. It is such a depressing dark book o_o;

To be honst it also made me rather paranoid for about a month after I read it 0_0;

It is a good book, and it does make you think, but it is very, hmm hard to describe, but it makes an impact.

Big Brother is watching.

3. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

Yes, I did =D

And I agree with you.

I don't think people should have to read it at school.

4. Atlas Gummi Ship Junkie

Ahhhh, i hate this book so much.

I have to read it too for english, it sucks. I don't even know why we're reading it. My parents and aunts and uncles and some of my teachers talk about reading it in there senior year. I'm only in eigth grade. I'd much rather wait and read it then, but nope.

5. Spitfire I'm a little high, and a little drunk.

I remember the book...but not that well since it has been like 6 years since I have read it. But I thought i was amazing, I think tha of anything George Orwell writes

6. Mish smiley day!

Psh, 1984 isn't as depressing as you guys make it out to be. ;P

I also read it for school. Well, we were actually given a list of books to choose from to read and I chose this one. I love reading about dystopic societies. :3

Orwell certainly painted a bleak picture, and I liked reading about it..

7. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I read this my senior year of high school, but then I went and got my own copy by personal choice. I actually liked it, it's one of the few school books I've ever had to read that I have enjoyed even away from school. Orwell does paint a bleak-ish picture, but it's not as despressing as everyone makes it out to be. It makes you think. It might be my own personal preference, but I like books that make you think like that.

8. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I never got the opportunity to read 1984. It's just one of those books on my 'Must Read List'. But in school we read 'Animal Farm' by Orwell and it wasn't as depressing as 1984 but it did have the same impact to me. That the pigs ended up running the farm which is a bigger hidden message underlying it.

9. godzilla3456 Gummi Ship Junkie

same thing with me...i am gonna get 1984 soon, but George Orwell is one of my favorite writers so that is why i read his books and pass all tests or essays about any of his books. And it is hilarious to see the face of my teacher is 5th grade when I passed the test on animal farm and got 100%. But it was even greater in 4th grade when I read the 4th harry potter book and got 95% lol.

10. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

I suppose it all depends on your understanding of the book. I'll admit I failed to see it's greater meaning. If it stood out for you, cool. It didn't for me.

This could partially be because I had nobody to discuss it with at all and was forced to read large amounts in small time increments.

But it was still depressing.

11. Dredica SNES was the best.

Would any of you guys recommened it, if I have to choose it out a certain options of books? Cause I hate reading good books with good endings, it always seems way to unreal.

12. O R A N G E C is the heavenly option

Well it depends on what other choices you have, but I wouldn't recommend it. There are plenty of less extreme alternatives if you want a book that isn't as happy. 1984 is apocalyptic and takes a lot off effort and concentration to read and fully understand. I'd advise on something somewhere in between a happy book and 1984.

13. Keyslinger Merlin's Housekeeper

George Orwell - 1984

George Orwell - Nineteen Eighty Four (1984) is by far one of my most favorite books. If you've read Animal Farm, that one is very similar to 1984.

The book is based on communism (mostly), and how the community's "Big Brother" is "Watching You" at all times. People live in silence most of the time because they are scared of being taken away and killed or vaporized because of their disrespect or rebellion to the government. There is surveillance everywhere, and no one goes unseen. I suggest you read it yourself. Be warned though, if you're extremely uncomfortable (and or immature) about sexual things, I don't recommend you read this. Some parts of the book include mild sexual talk and or actions, but nothing too bad, nothing descriptive. =P
    But I really do think this is a great book.

To those who've read it already, any comments?

14. Sabby Sleepy Panda Assassin

I read this book in the summer because we had to do a comparative essay with V For Vendetta. I actually found this book really good, talking about if everyone was watched and you all had to do things a certain way. It really made you think about what was going on. It's a wonderful book. I think many people should read it.

15. Keyslinger Merlin's Housekeeper

I agree, it does make you think about things. I actually got creeped out at one point and started wondering.. "what if the government really DOES watch us?" O.o
    But again, it's a book.

And come on, you gotta admit O'Brien's creepy.

16. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I read it during my Senior year in high school; my aunt told me to read it. I did find parts of it very entertaining and enlightening, and it was one of the first books I read that had an ending I actually didn't see coming. It really does relfect on the passing times and the advancement on power. It's funny because that same year, I read Brave New World and Lord of the Flies. I think someone was trying to get something threw my head.

At many McDonald's drive-thru's, I see the sign "Big Brother is watching you". I just can't keep from laughing at my utter terror. :why?:

17. Keyslinger Merlin's Housekeeper

I read it in 6th grade.. O.o

Seriously? At MCDONALDS? Whoah. They must really want you to buy their burgers.

Also, has anyone noticed that "they" used the shop with old items and rarities as a lure?

18. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I think they use it just to remind everyone that it's not nice to steal, Big Brother probably being the security cameras.

And, damn! When i was in sixth grade, I really didn't care about reading, so I never really heard of it.

19. Patman Bof

If anyone can find his home on Google earth imagine what the army can do. I' m just saying ... ^^
    [video=youtube;j5-0Uk8Vps4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-0Uk8Vps4[/video]

20. Stardust Chaser

Already a thread for this book; please read the sticky before posting new ones =].

~Merged~

Anyhoo, I haven't read 1984 but I'd really like to. I disliked Animal Farm a lot, mostly because I thought the allegory with the animals was entirely pointless and just made the novel harder to read. Orwell's writing was also extremely dry from what I remember, but that's unlikely to change x: . Still, I'd prefer dry writing with a realistic setting over dry writing with talking animals. I usually enjoy post-apocalyptic/"corrupted government"-centered literature,; I generally find it pretty interesting (i.e. I loved Battle Royale, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451), so I really want to give Orwell another shot. Animal Farm just left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I have to say that at the very least, I'm impressed with the cultural impact (what with the 'Big Brother is Watching You' thing). I see references quite a bit; heck, I even used one in an essay I wrote once. xD