The Catcher in the Rye

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Nailpolish <3, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

I finished reading this book, I really liked it. I'm doing a book report and wondered if anyone else had read it. Just to give me some input.

2. Spitfire I'm a little high, and a little drunk.

I thought it was an awesome book, though it has been like three years since I read it but we had to write an indepth essay into his psyche and all this other crap. But the book itself was a great book to read I loved it.

3. Sir Charles of Monocles The Fault in Our Stars

what is this book about?

4. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

Yeah I know, its an amazing book =]

The book is about a boy (16 or 17 i don't remember >.>) who gets kicked out of his 3rd highschool because of poor grades. Basically, he leaves the school early, goes to a motel and deals with a lot of things, like strippers, sex, friends, and life. Everything everyone else deals with.

5. EvilMan_89 Code Master

was an OK book. i kinda liked it. i wouldn't say it's the best but i wouldn't mind reading it again

6. Laurence_Fox Chaser

I read it for School one year. At the time I didn't really understand it but I've since re-read it and it wasn't so bad.

7. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

yes me too, i had to read it twice to understand it xD

8. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

I hated this book. The main and essentially only character was neither interesting nor endearing. The plot was convoluted and really had no point. Holden did not grow he merely complained about how everyone else was in some way inferior to him. He was just an annoying kid who didn't understand that he wasn't special, that his life wasn't significant, that he was just another person living out the same sort of thing, the only difference was he failed to understand or acknowledge that he wasn't so great as he thought everyone should hail him as. I'm easily irritated and the book wasn't very well written. Salinger seemed as if all he wanted to do was whine.

9. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

okay. yeah thats your opinion, and I'll try not to be too harsh xD

but clearly you missed the whole point of the book. Try reading it again...

10. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

No, I got the meaning, it just wasn't useful or in any way--how shall I say it-- meaningful if the way it was presented was a load of crap.

11. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

One of the most controversial novels ever without a doubt. Famously so because it was involved in John Lennon's Murder I just finished it a few minutes ago. Wow. The main protagonist is... messed up (trying to give as little away as possible). Anybody else read it? Wanna discuss the mental decline of Holden Caufield?

12. TheLightIsGone123 Gummi Ship Junkie

personally i loved catcher in the rye. Where do you think he is at the end of the book? there are just so many possbilities.

13. Destined Working for WDW

I remember this book from back in the days of tenth grade. Fantastic book with character's that were so real it blew me away.

14. TheLightIsGone123 Gummi Ship Junkie

the sad thing is what made most the characters real is how fake they really were, holden mostly, he was so overly hypocritical that it almost made me sick. sad thing is that i see myself in holden in just about everythign i do now adays.

15. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

Yea, I did like it. I think he's in a mental institution, just for some psychoanalysis.

Yea the end when he was telling Phoebe to shut up, the characters really became real to me.