lord of the rings

Discussion in 'Literature' started by micketymike, Oct 8, 2008.

1. micketymike Twilight Town Denizen

I'd tell you but then youed never leave me alone
    i reeeeaaaaly want to read it but i keep hearing its not worth it from my friends (who havent read it) and i wanted to ask if any of you out there who have read the book have an opinion.

2. Azure Flame Banned

These books are awesome! A must read if you like fantasy and action! But you must read "The Hobbit" first.

3. Scott Pilgrim Banned

The Hobbit was alot cooler. LotR wasn't too bad. I like them both. 8/10

4. Maka Albarn It's called love

Hobbit was brilliant. :) It's kind of intense at parts, but I like it a lot. It's was a really awesome book.

5. micketymike Twilight Town Denizen

thanks guys now i just need to get my hands on them

6. Mr. Pumpkin Hollow Bastion Committee

I am a HUGE fan of LotR and all the things Tolkien created. I say, go read the Hobbit, and then read LotR. You'll luve it <3

7. Destined Working for WDW

Tolkien is one of the greatest writers of the 20th century and his writing is well worth at least reading once in your lifetime.

I have to agree, read the hobbit first, it helps with small details within the overall trilogy and myth of the story.

8. Juicy Chaser

I first read the trilogy when I was seven :3 And trust me, even re-reading it over and over hasn't made it less awesome xD

A definate must.

9. Firefly Hollow Bastion Committee

kwl, I just got LOTR 1 and my bro has the Hobbit, so I have a perfect start already, and since it's been reccommended here I might as well start reading em :D

10. micketymike Twilight Town Denizen

i got them i got all three books and the hobit and cant wait to start

11. Azure Flame Banned

Be sure to start with The Hobbit! It's kinda like the prequel.

12. micketymike Twilight Town Denizen

you may now turn this tread into a discussion of the book now that i have it thanks again

13. Firefly Hollow Bastion Committee

I'm up to Mirkwood... I'm a very slow reader :)
    Anyway, it's awesome! I like the tone, how it's not really dark, but sort of light-hearted. It makes the book feel friendly, and the narrator almost seems like a character.
    The edition I'm borrowing from my bro is big, with pictures in it. I find the artwork to be nice, but sort or depressing, giving the story more of a hopeless mood.

I just watched the LoTR movies again too, and the Shire and the hobbits and Bilbo seem so different now after reading some of The Hobbit.

14. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I'm a bookworm, but I have to say these books did nothing for me. The story's good, it's the way it was written that I didn't like. There was way too much detail. I like detail, but it was like overloaded with it. I could only get up to when they were at The Prancing Pony.

15. Peter Crumb Banned

I'm going to give my true, honest, unbiased opinion on the LOTR trilogy;

the books are horrendous. By page 435 of 1,119 you're gasping for a breath of fresh air. It's like Tolkien took the same 5,000 words and repeated them over and over again, trading pronouns and selling adjectives for new, more melancholy ones. I wasn't able to finish book 3 due to the slow drag of what some consider "glorious side story" but I consider an absolute waste of time. The world Tolkien creates is vivid and lush, but he doesn't do it with his writing, he does it with his ability to ram it into your skull every chance he gets.

Boring.
    Repetitive.
    Long.

Good movies, though. And I never say that.

16. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I personally love the books, The Fellowship of the Ring is my favourite, my second favourite is The Two Towers and The Return of the King is my least favourite. I still like it, I just found it harder to get through.

I love the style and description, and I like the intensity and focus. I would say it is definitely a trilogy you have to read at least once.

I do think the Hobbit is awesome too, and to repeat what the others have said, yes you do need to read that first.

Movies were good too :] and normally I hate Big Screen adaptations of books <3

I have no idea why that made me laugh as much as it just did xD;

17. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

book is definetly worth it...i read it before my mom, and it was so awesome....one of the best books around.

18. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

I read the books when I was thirteen, and they are my fav series of all time. I've read the Return of the King over and over again, (Although not the Sam and Frodo parts, they were long and boring and only worth reading once.) But I really enjoy the battles and the tragedy and I really REALLY like the chapters with Faramir and Eowyn when they begin to fall in love. :) A lot of people have said that you'll love it, and I won't dissagree, but I have to warn you: It is very tedious and hard to get through until you get out of the old forest with Tom Bobadil. I like that part, but I skipped it when I read it the first time. I didn't actually read that part 'till a few years later. I just couldn't stand that part when I was thirteen. But it is still a good read.

19. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

Three years later, I can proudly say that I finished the Fellowship of the Ring. And I quite enjoyed it, in contrast to my previous post. I still do think that it took way too long to get out of the Shire, though. Holy darn.

The only reason I haven't read the Two Towers and the Return of the King is that... I haven't bought them. ._. But I will get around to it.

20. Icetail Moogle Assistant

daaahhhhh, its lord of the rings but the hobbit is probs the coolest one out of all of them