Battle Royale

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Stardust, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Stardust Chaser

I looked through all twelve pages of this section and ran a quick search and came up with no threads on this book; kinda surprising. Maybe I missed it .____. ...

So yeah, Battle Royale was a novel before it was a film; anyone read it?

It's a loooot bigger than I thought it was (Just over 600[!] pages), and I'm about a hundred pages in. I think it's pretty good, although sometimes dialogue/sentence structure can be reaaally simplistic or just plain weird. I have a feeling that's more the fault of the translators than the original writer, though, but who am I to be the judge of that? XD
    Anyhow, it's looking to be a really good book, so. Thoughts?

2. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

I've seen the movie, but haven't read the book... it's sad what those kids go through... evil Mr. What's-His-Face killed Nobu... and that scary new kid that killed half the others... I had a nightmare about them.

Book-Movie-Manga

Is the book better?

EDIT: wait have you seen the film, please say that you have, i think i killed a bit of it for you​

3. Stardust Chaser

Oh, don't worry about it, I've seen the film =P.
    And yes I agree with you, it's horrible what happens to them. I guess that's what makes it good though; it's disturbing but really sad at the same time.

Never read the manga, but I'm thinking the book's going to be better than the movie; can't say for sure yet since I'm only like a sixth of the way in.

4. draik88 Twilight Town Denizen

Are you REALLY sure you want to know? O.o
    I won't reveal too much but the ending in the book is different from that in the movie.

I gotta say though, I did enjoy the book far more than I did the movie, not only did you get much more background information on all the characters, some loose ties from the movie are all wrapped up as well.

It's also a helluva lot more fun to imagine all the blood and various deaths than it is just to watch them! XD

5. Stardust Chaser

Wow, I just finished Battle Royale a few minutes ago and I must say I agree with you. The book was far superior to the movie... The ending in particular really left an impression on me.

Long novel, but definitely worth it. Wouldn't have taken me so long to finish it if it weren't for school, either -- I had devoured all but a hundred fifty or so pages when I was bombarded by assignments and had to stop reading for a while. Picked it up at the end of the school day again today and finished it up.