The Mortal Intruments Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Flamedancer, May 7, 2009.

1. Flamedancer Twilight Town Denizen

Mortal Instruments

I just finished this series, which is now my new favorite series of books. I have to be honest.....

It makes Twilight look like complete crap.

Now, before you all label me as a Twilight Turncoat (used to love the series, now I make fun of it), here's WHY it is my new favorite series:

Reason #1: I don't hate the main character, who is a girl.

Clary actually ends up pretty bada** in the end. And she doesn't mope around about how normal she is.

Reason #2: The main guy's hot, knows it, and thus is a complete a**hole who you can't help but love.

Jace is sex with two legs and blond hair, and he flaunts it, making him even more sexy...somehow. And he can fight...and likes to fight. And...he kinda makes Edward look like a pansy...

Reason #3: No sparkles.

The vampires are mean. Really mean. And they're graphic when they eat someone. And...SPOILER
    Simon can walk around in sunlight, not sparkle, AND play D&D all at the same time!!:D
    And, let's face it, real men play D&D

Reason #4: Gay warlock

...do I really need to say anymore?

Reason #5: Fight scenes are epic.

Dude...multiple people get ripped apart by demons!! And that's just in the tiny fights!! There's no such thing as peace discussions!! :D

So, yeah. To the Twilight fans, I kinda apologize for bashing it, but...yeah...I highly reccommend this story. Go buy City of Bones. It'll be the best thing you've read, like...ever.

Or not. Whatevs.

2. Fracture Sαlαmαndєr ™

Is that what the Series is called or not....because i have heard of this book before....i think......

3. Yukichin Traverse Town Homebody

City of Bones was great. Well, the entire series was. I enjoyed the first book best, though, definitely.

4. Jayn

So then, it's a vampire book?

5. Lulus_Moogle Twilight Town Denizen

I just finished City of Ashes - and I can't wait to get my hands on City of Glass!!

Alec and Jace are soo amazing - much better then Edward and what's his name Jacob? xD I read that book so long ago and its sooo bad - this just makes it worse xD

Flame: I love your sig xD
    syringe: there are vampries, warlocks, wearwolfs, demon hunters, demons, the whole lot :)

6. KhRiku5 Merlin's Housekeeper

I love this series. it's full of intense and serious scenes but it can be really funny also.

7. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

OMG Love this series. My sister and I fangirled over Jace for a bit. Plus the humor just gets to me. A lot. XD I should read it over again, before I can afford to get the third one.

8. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

It sounds like it is pretty good, but I have to admit I really dislike when people claim a book is good because it is better than a different series. That isn't what makes a book good >>

I will check it out when I find it, but it does sound a bit cliched to the other exteme.

How many books are in the series so far?

9. Flamedancer Twilight Town Denizen

I'm not saying it's good simply for the fact that it's better than Twilight--I was just making a comparison. And it's a trilogy :3

10. Wacko Twilight Town Denizen

To be blunt, Twilight makes me want to burn cities down from pure anger.

Besides that... I fully agree with your comments on Mortal Instruments... Excluding the D&D one. XD Vampires are meant to be mean, violent and...well, act like actual vampires. Clary doesn't whine and complain about being normal... or about her love for Jace, (*cough*Bella*cough*) and on top of that, she actually fights.

Simon being able to walk around in sunlight WITHOUT SPARKLES made me much happier, along with the fact he's not a total pansy like Edward.

11. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Actual vampires? XD

Anyway, I've heard some good feedback about this series, never heard of it before.
    Just went to the store and shelled out 35 bucks for all three books
    it better be good

12. Wacko Twilight Town Denizen

Edward is the least violent and blood-affiliated vampire I've ever read about. Epic waste of time and money.

13. morphine and lollipops Merlin's Housekeeper

I read the first one the week it came out and loved it. I have yet to read the second one, though, or the third. I should probably reread the first one as well.
    But the first one did kick major @ss.

14. xXRhian+RoxasXx Gummi Ship Junkie

Isn't that book in a series with Mortal Engines? Where London and other towns are on wheels?

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Mortal INstruments is a trilogy, not just one book.
    I'm currently reading the first one
    but I'm pretty sure there's no towns on wheels

16. Shadow55551 Destiny Islands Resident

I absolutly loved this series. Here is a short synopsis of the series:

Clary Fray is a sixteen year old girl who lives a normal life with her best friend Simon. One day her life is turned upside down when she see some weird people kill a human. Now her life is led to the revealing of her thought to be dead father and into the world of ShadowHunters.

I also just learned they are making a fourth book that will focus on Simon. She has also said that the book has been opted out for a film.

17. Nightmareinhell Moogle Assistant

Love the series

I have read that series about 4 times and to be honest the series will be better as a tv show not a movie...simon is awesome and way better then jace..i'm sorry
    I LOVE THE SERIES ALSO AND CANT WAIT FOR THE NEW BOOK AND THE PREQUEL SERIES

18. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I've read the first two books, and I'm waiting for the third to come out in paperback. It's pretty good. Not my most favourite series, but still worth the read.

I agree with Nightmareinhell, that it would be better adapted to a tv series than a movie.

19. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

I didn't much like the beginning either. But give it a chance, it gets better. :>

20. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

This. I liked it. Although I'll admit I was reluctant to read it at first because someone compared it to Twilight and that was a turn off.

It's actually a good series. I got all three in hardback for roughly 35 bucks. Finished them my first two weeks of college.

The main thing I hated, though, about the writing was that she would sometimes put a significant event in just one sentence.

I found myself thinking "When did this happen?" and rereading the last couple of pages a few times.