Literary Deconstruction/Reconstruction

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Ars Nova, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I would say this falls squarely between Literature and Discussion, but since the Literature section seems to be reserved mostly for discussion of actual literature, I decided to post it here. Please move it if it's called for.

First off, an explanation. TVTropes explains both concepts better than I ever could, but to summarize: Deconstruction is the (typically darker-than-usual) use of a classic idea/setting/archetype/etc. in such a way as to expose its flaws and, usually, show how unrealistic and how much of a bad idea it is; where reconstruction takes into account the flaws exposed by deconstruction and attempts to retool the classic tale in such a way that is nostalgic to fans and acceptable to critics.

Because of its nature, De/Re is a huge part of American artistic culture, as it appeals to our desire to pick everything apart and seek a complete understanding of our subject matter. Superhero comics have been (and still are) fiercely subject to De/Re: Watchmen and Sandman are two exemplary comics, and many DC/Marvel hallmarks have been De/Re'd both through their major plotlines and through various auxiliary media (See Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth). There are many authors who use De/Re regularly, including Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman; Moore is considered by some to have pioneered the De/Re practice, in fact.

Of course, De/Re is not exclusive to America. Anime took to deconstruction pretty early, the outstanding example being Neon Genesis Evangelion (which is a Genre Deconstruction of giant mecha series and several cliche anime archetypes). Consider also Berserk, Darker Than Black, and Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle. Reconstruction was practically instant in this culture as well; Gao Gai Gar, for example, was expressly an immediate reaction to Evangelion.

Good fanfictions will also make use of De/Re to provide a fresh perspective on old characters or make their situations darker/more serious. For an example on our home turf, see "A Sorrow of Magpies" by Luc Court, an origin story of the Organization XIII told from the perspective of Even/Vexen. (Unfortunately, certain details have recently been shot down by canon, but it's still a good read.)

Personally, this is one of my favorite literary devices. It turns several genres that would otherwise have dropped off the face of the Earth into phoenixes, constantly shedding their weaknesses and flourishing again with the help of prominent authors in the genre. Reading De/Re works also stimulates creativity, as it forces both the writer and the reader to examine the finer points of fiction.

So yeah, discuss. Why you like/dislike it, where you've seen it, where you want it to be, etc.