Falling Rain

Discussion in 'Archives' started by twilightsown, Dec 18, 2006.

1. twilightsown King's Apprentice

Well, I posted a poem today, so I figured a story wouldn't be bad as well ^_^ This one is short, but its one I really liked, and is actually a Kairi x Riku as much as it is a SoKai (Yes, the So Kai fanatic wrote a Kairi x Riku back in the day...) Without much further to do, here it is.
    (Special note: I'm posting this story as it originally was, which was NOT a fanfic. On my fanficiton acount I have put it to a song, but I wanted to see how it looked without it, and I figured you guys would be a good audience to bring it back in its old format!)
    -------------------------------------------------
    Summary: [The longing of the heart can cause extraordinary things to happen, even some we do not wish] Kairi ponders where Sora is as she goes about her life five years later. SKR oneshot [Twilight To Dawn]
    -------------------------------------------------

Drip...drip...drip...

Rain falls slowly from overhead

As I wonder once again, where am I going now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wandering down the main thoroughfare into the city, wondering always where you are. I’ve never been able to forget you, but it seems you have forgotten me. The pain in my heart from waiting for so long grows larger and larger each day, but still you do not return, and now it is too late.

We are to be wed in three days. I know that you two were friends, but you both have liked me since then. He came back, and you didn’t, what am I supposed to do? I feel good when he is around, but not like when you were here. You were always able to put a smile onto my face, never knowing fear, always smiling, even those times when you were about to die.
    I have waited five years for you, but I have grown tired of waiting. I wish for my heart not to do so, wish I had never agreed to this, but he was so kind, and you were never around. Why? He has shared so much with me, concerning you, him, and all that happened since you left me that day. I have fallen for him, the way I had once done for you. You were my first true love, and you shall remain there, always in my heart, but always distant, even if you are ever to actually return.

Will you appear now? He is so happy, being with me, and I cannot deny him that, for I care for him, but not to the extent I do for you. So I make one final request, if you do care, return to me now, or you will forever lose your chance.

“Kairi, is something wrong”

He looks into my eyes, puzzled at why I am acting so distant right now. Hands entwined we walk together down the main thoroughfare into the town. We go today to finalize the agreement, to ask a pastor to reside over the ceremony. Riku wishes to have his childhood pastor do so, and I am fine with this. I never really was one for large ceremonies, but I now wish to make him happy.

“No, nothings wrong, guess I’m just a little nervous.”

“Were you thinking about him?”

He is able to read me so easily now. After spending so much time together, you are bound to know things about each other, and with great love, mind reading seems to become a must. He always knows how I feel, and your never here, why should I have second thoughts? He made every effort to return, and you have not even sent word to me over these long years. He deserves this, and you have failed to return.

“Yes, but it is nothing, even if he were to come back, it would not alter the choice I have made.”

He smiles at me, glad to know this, as he has always feared you. He knows that I care deeply for you, that are hearts are intertwined, but today I make a promise to myself: I shall allow another to break that barrier, he deserves this much. I do not know that if you did return what I would do, for I have not seen you in so long, would I immediately turn from him, or would I hold fast to my decision? I know not, and now I almost hope you do not return. You have been gone for five years, I almost hope that it will be three days longer.

We meet the pastor, and arrange the event, three days later. I know that I must go through with this now, no matter how I feel toward you. Why did you take so long? Why could you not have simply come back to me? I go home soon after this, and for what is to be one of my last nights, I sleep alone in my bed.

“Kairi...”

A sweet soft voice calls out my name. Who could it be, he sounds so familiar.

“Kairi...”

Again I hear my name, but know not from where it comes. I turn in my sleep, then realize, I am not asleep, I am awake. I sit upright in bed, and stare deeply into a pair of deep blue eyes, cold and piercing, yet warm and loving at the same time.

“Kairi...I’ve come home at last...”

He has finally returned. He looks different, one arm all black, curling into claws at the end. His face holds a scar on one cheek, and his other arm is cut badly. As I look more closely, I notice that the wounds are fresh, and that he is still bleeding.

“Sora! You’re hurt”

I move to stand up, but he forces me to sit back down. He stares deeply into my eyes, obviously in great pain, and takes a deep breath before he speaks again.

“Kairi, I am not much longer for this world. I wished to see you one last time, and so I have. I know that you and Riku will be happy together, I’m only glad I could see you again.”

Not much longer for this plane? Was he saying that he was dying? I had to do something, I wasn’t going to lose him again!

“Sora, please let me go get the doctor...”

As I said this, tears began to stream down my face. I knew that he was dying, but I also knew he wasn’t going to allow me to do anything about it. Why? I was here, and I could help, get the doctor, save the one whom I loved. Why would he not permit me to help?

“I’m sorry Kairi, but I have cause people to much pain, I have become someone that I do not wish to be, and I have committed a crime that I do not wish to remember...Please, allow me to leave this world in your arms, just as I had hoped to live it...”

He collapsed into my hands as he said this, he weighed nothing. He seemed so different, his eyes reflecting so much pain and so much happiness. I held him closer, and felt the warm tears stream down his face and fall into my lap. I wished to hold him forever, but as I sat there, I felt the life leave him, and he slumped into my arms even more. I looked outside, and saw that the rain had intensified. He was gone, and I was left only with Riku.

I picked up the phone I dialed Riku’s number. Only he should have to see this. No one else in town should even know. He and I would bury him, and never tell anyone, keeping the memory of our friend alive within us. As I sat there waiting for Riku to come over, I remembered the last words that he had said as he breathed one last time.

“Live happily ever after, my princess...”

~fin~

----------------------------------------------------------------
    This one I know has some grammatical errors, so PLEASE point them out to me if you can, I would REALLY appreciate it.
    Here's my other stories:
    Twilightsowns Fanfiction Home Page

2. Rena88 Twilight Town Denizen

you left out a letter from a couple words (you should have put the 'check for errors' before the story, but i guess i can read through it again :p )

poor Riku, he'll never be truly loved will he? at least not from Kairi. :rolleyes: :p

3. Rax Traverse Town Homebody

awwww...i feel bad for Riku....