The Unnamed Customer

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Destined, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Destined Working for WDW

I found this Point of View story i wrote from awhile back, figure some others out there may enjoy it
    I didn’t fully understand what happened, but I feel for him…

He walked in here all upbeat without a care in the world, I’d seen him in here a couple times before but he always had a girl with him. Probably his wife. He sat in his normal booth. I took his order: small stack with maple, medium coke. He kept smiling. I never got his name. It’s odd what your brain remembers.

He kept looking at the wall clock. 8:50 am. 8:51 am. His phone rang, it was an annoying ring…whatever it was.

“Hey Babe.â€
    Must be the girl. I busied myself with the other customers.

“Yea I’m here. When are you…a meeting with the execs? No it’s fine, I just…â€
    I came back around and cleared the counter of the cop’s dishes.

“Yea I have it right here, thanks babe I love you. Let’s celebrate at dinner my trea….babe…Babe?â€

He lowered the phone, I could hear the static. I inadvertently read the envelope:
    Happy Birthday!​
    The last line I couldn’t make out.​
    He looked confused, eyes wandering from the beeping phone around the small diner. He looked up. He saw the bulletin on the beater TV. I followed his eyes, I wish I hadn’t.

He rarely comes in here anymore. I only see him once a year. Same time. Same booth. Same unopened envelope yellowed and crinkled.

Happy Birthday!​
    Don’t open until then, 8:52 am, 9/11!​
    Your loving Fiancee
    He leaves, always pays cash. I look at our skyline, remembering.
    I’ve still got the candle in the window.
    I didn’t fully understand what happened, but I feel for him…