Sunrise

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Magick, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

I did indeed forget to mention that this is a Vampire Knight fanfic, placed about the time that the anime ends. It's hard to remember to post the next part, so if you are a reader, a comment would be nice, lovelies~

Chapter 1

Snow....white snow. Blood....red, stark against the white. A man....fangs bared. A boy...and blood.

This memory had been her first as a human. Now it was just one of many as a vampire. Brown red eyes looked up at the sky, brown hair gleaming in the sun. Slender hands reached up, touching the green leaves above. My name is Yuki Kuran.

I couldn't wrap my head around it. It seemed like, one day ago I was human, and my worst worry was guarding the Night class. Now it was the least of those worries. I am a pure blood vampire, the most elite of our world. I have powers, not all of which has surfaced, and I am being hunted by my best friend.

This is probably all confusing, I'm sure. I must sound at best, crazy. I'll start at the beginning, my real past.

I was born to pure blood parents. Not just any vampires, but the clan that had formerly lead the world of vampires, the Kurans. My parents were loving, and kind, the best I could have ever had. And they were stolen from me, by a man. My uncle, who wanted my blood to empower himself, hunted for me. He hunted for my family. That night, my mother took away my memories, made me human, throughout means even I don't understand. She gave me to my brother, and protected us as we ran. I was the only one in the family no one knew about, you see. My parents had hidden me away, never let me out. It broke my parent's hearts but what else could they do? What life would I have had, a decorated pure blood, the rarest of the rare, put on display?

My parents died that night, my family was destroyed. Kaname, my brother, finished what our father had started, and ripped our uncle to pieces. That was the night of the winter storm, the night I remember clearest. My brother had left me, safe. He found me, in danger. A rogue vampire, either by coincidence or plan, found me, and tried to drink my blood. Kaname saved me, and brought me to my foster father.

I was human for eleven years of my life, eleven years of which were some of the best, and worst. I became close friends with Zero Kiryu, and patrolled our high school as a guardian with him. I learned he was a vampire, as well as vampire hunter. Together we went through the defeat of his enemy, and the vampire who had turned him and destroyed his family, Shizuka Hio. He helped me become stronger, and I hope I helped him smile, at least a little.

Are you scared off the story yet? Either I'm insane, or you just realized how short life is. For those of you still reading, I hope you know what you're doing. Vampires are a secret to the human race, the only ones that know are the vampire hunters, the guardians of the human race.

Not that any of this matters anymore. I'm more concerned with today. The sky is so blue, the trees and roses blooming. I want to go outside, and that's what I'm going to do.

2. Roxas81334 Merlin's Housekeeper

This is a pretty good story, it goes along with where the show left off. I can't wait to see what happens later in the story.

3. Jayn

That was very good. I love your writing. And you also know the story of Vampire Knight very well, I would have a lot of trouble remembering. xDD
    Can't wait to see more! I love that it leaves off right where the series ended.

Good job. ^^

4. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 2

The roses are perfect, as they have been every spring since we moved her. Kaname doesn't like me going out alone, and yet he lets it happen. It's odd, having a brother, having part of a family, having a past. The sun beats down on the grass, making it sparkle in the dew that hasn't yet burned away. I should be sleeping now, with the others, but I can't.

Instead I lie down under the rose bushes, hiding myself from view, hiding from the world, if only for a while. This estate is a hidden one, that my parents left us, my brother and I. We have lived here for two years with the aristocrats Hanabusa Aido, Akatsuki Kain, Ruka Souen, Ichijo Takuma, and, and Kaname's bodyguard Seiren. I should be used to mingling among them, and be used to have them calling me Yuki-sama, but I'm not. Maybe I was never a vampire, and it's all a lie, again.

These dark thoughts draw me away from the beauty of the morning, and so I ignore them again. If only it was so easy to ignore. Slowly my eyes drift shut. It's been two years since I have heard from Zero, Yori, my best friend, or my foster father and the headmaster of our old school, Kaien Cross. I wonder how they are, if they're okay. I know the others miss Rima and Senri, the two who stayed behind, but they never talk about them. How do we keep the ones that we love alive, if we never talk about them?

Almost silent footsteps on the grass, a small sigh. “Yuki. You should be sleeping.” That soft voice belongs to the man I once adored with all my heart. Kaname. Turning, I look back, seeing his tall form blot out the now risen sun. He is the most handsome man I have ever seen, and the only vampire I trusted. I loved him, before I knew about my past. Now my feelings for him are of a brother, and nothing more. Perhaps that was what my feelings were before, but clouded by my human part.

“Do you need different sleeping arrangements?” He asks, his voice still soft, a small smile on his face. “I missed the sun.” I answer, trying not to waver. I have to tell him what I have been thinking, what I have been feeling. “Kaname-sama.....”

“Even after everything, you still can't stop calling me 'sama'.” The smile is still in place, but I can almost feel the pain he carries, the guilt, with those words. I am as distant to him as I was as a human, if not in a different way. His pain cuts me worse then a razor, and so I reach out to him instead, pulling my bigger brother into a hug.

“Old habits die hard.” I answer instead, my eyes closing. He wraps his arms around me, and we lie there, letting the sun warm our skin. How can I ask him for the one thing that will hurt him most? No, I will wait. Zero said he would hunt me, I will let him find me. Then we will both find out if he has the inner strength to use his gun against me. Until then, I will stay, with Kaname by my side. This is the way it has been, I will let this peace continue for a while longer.

This train of thought leads to what Kaname once said to me. “Play in this sandbox a while longer.” He had been trying to keep me happy, to make my mother's wish come true, to see me smile. I had been happy.....but what if he was trying to keep me from the truth once more? Never mind then. He wouldn't do that to me again, there was no reason to.

Somehow, I wake up in my bed. It's not a bad bed, nor a bad room. The sheets are dark purple, matching the pillow cases. The coverlet isn't needed this time of year, but it's usually black or white. All this is made from the finest satin, of course. The wall is a dark color, but you can never tell if it's the darkest blue, red, or just purely black. I love this room, but it reminds me too much of what I am, instead of am not. I cannot pretend I'm human, and I can't pretend I have the naivety I used to.

Lying back, there's a stillness in the building, something not quite right. Getting out of the bed, walking to the window, nothing seems amiss. Night has fallen, again, but there is no one outside. This is odd......Usually Ruka and Seiren are in the garden. Walking quietly to the doorway, I hear nothing, and no one. Where is Akatsuki? And Aido? Closing the door behind me, I walk to the window across my bedroom. Something is wrong, it's almost like I'm alone. A whisper behind me, a small breeze, and I whirl, then feel my mouth open in shock. Kaname stands in front of me, wearing his dark clothes, his eyes hidden in shadow. “Yu....ki...” he falls forward, his eyes going blank. As I catch him, I realize that those are not dark colors, but blood. Even as my mouth opens to scream, I hear a click, and the barrel of a gun pressed to the back of my head.

“Yuki.”

The voice saying this is lower, more menacing then Kaname's, then anyone's. I know whose voice this is. “You finally found me.” I whisper, Kaname's blood seeping through my fingers. “You found your strength.”

“It's good to see you.” he finally whispers, and then the trigger clicks.
    ________________________-
    Thanks guys, here's another chapter early.

5. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 3

I wake up, my hands covering my mouth, a scream silenced from between them. My room is undisturbed, nothing amiss. I lay back, a hand passing over my eyes, licking up the blood that's dripping from my cut finger. Three nights a week, this happens. Sleeping is getting rougher, harder to catch.

Getting up, I open the window, letting the cooler air flow over me. The nightgown I'm wearing, a light green, flows gently, the soft fabric touching my skin like a gentle kiss. I want to see Zero again, no matter the cost. I know I want to, from the bottom of my heart. Hearing a gentle noise behind me, I close my eyes.

“I want to see him again, Kaname-sama.” The words come out as a whisper, but I know he can hear me. “I just want to see him one more time.”

There's a gentle sigh, then I can almost feel him smile, even if it's sad. This small motion pulls me back to one of my final memories as a human.

“Kaname....why do you always look so sad when you're with me?”

Shaking my head slightly to clear it, I look back, pleading with my eyes. “Neutral ground?” I finally murmur, watching.

Slowly, he nods, the smile still in place. There's a tinge of sadness, he realizes I'm not a little girl anymore. “I'll arrange something.” He murmured, coming to stand next to me. “If that's what would make you happy.”

Zero stared out the window, his arm leaning against the woodwork frame. The room was empty now, Yori having moved in with another room mate. She didn't want to be alone, in the same room where Yuki used to be. There were two beds, empty mattresses. The walls were bare except for the monotonous wallpaper. No curtains, no paintings, no clothing on the floor or dressers. Closing his eyes, Zero could almost see her standing in front of him, the way she had been. He couldn't accept that she was a vampire, even though her fangs had pierced him, at his own request. He had tried to use that as proof, and he still didn't believe it.

Opening his eyes, silver hair gleaming gently in the fading sunlight, Zero Kiryu touched the tatto at the side of his neck gently, the memories passing in front of his eyes. Yuki smiling at her sixteenth birthday, Yuki curled up, frightened on the bed, Yuki hiding a secret, blushing.

Quiet footsteps behind him jolted him out of his revere, but didn't startle him. His other senses, his vampire senses, had known it. “Headmaster.”

Kaien Cross looked out the window along with him, hands behind his back. He was wearing his customary green scarf, along with a yellow jacket. The glasses perched on his nose were present, as when he wasn't hunting. “Kiryu. I have a letter, from some important people.”

“So reply to it. Why involve me?” Zero turned away, bored, heading toward the door, his hands in his pockets.

“You'll want to see who sent it.” The headmaster held out a folded piece of paper. Taking it, Zero relized it was more formal then he thought, heavy, and with the gilded feel that more expensive paper usually had. “Is it from the Society?” he asked, opening it and scanning it. Freezing, his eyes locked onto the paper, Zero felt his heart stop in shock.

The headmaster watched with an understanding look in his eyes. “Are you going to go?” He asked softly, his hands coming to rest at his side.

Zero didn't know how to reply. Why did this happen now, after all this time? He looked wordlessly up at the headmaster, not knowing how to respond. Kaien nodded slowly. “I'm going to go. I owe it.” He left the room, turning back one more time. “I leave at dawn, Kiryu. Yagari Toga is also coming along.”

He left Zero alone, to hold the letter and watch the fading sun set out that window. The ending of another day.

6. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 4

I watch the sun rising, shivering slightly in my coat. Kaname is next to me, watching me quietly. His presence brings back more memories....

We'll be like mom and dad. They were siblings too.

I refuse to give in. Kaname wouldn't do anything I didn't want, and I wasn't ready to do anything like that. I could feel Seiren somewhere nearby, watching, ready to strike if necessary. The morning was cold, a sign of winter. Winter...Blood.....red blood...white...snow...Mother....Against my wishes, I sink back into the memories, the ones chaining pain to my heart.

“Kaname!” Running to him, I hold him tight. “Kaname, you're cold.” I can feel him smile as we sit down. “It's the snow. It's cold and white, but it's pretty...” Something in his gaze seems to change. “I'm sorry, Yuki. You're so good, never complaining, but you want to go outside too.”

“No, Kaname, I'm happy here.” I lie, and I know he can see it, but he lets it go, and hugs me again instead.
    “Welcome back Kaname.” Our parents, watching us, smile. Juri, my mother, considers my older brother. “Did you have fun at Ichijo's?” she asks, still considering him, a hand rubbing her chin.

“Yes mother, thank you for letting me go there.” Kaname and I both watch our mother, curious. Our father, Haruka, watches with a small smile on his face. “I think next time you should go longer. Ichijo is so carefree, you were supposed to come back more relaxed.” She says. “I must work harder on my plan.”

“Mama! Don't be so hard on Kaname!” I protest, grabbing her sleeve. She laughs and hugs Kaname. “I'm just teasing him, Yuki.”

They went out soon after. I could smell the snow, but I couldn't see through the golden walls of my room, in the house basement. I hadn't even ever seen the rest of the house, until that night. That was the last time I saw my father.

A hand at my shoulder pulls me into the present. Looking back, I see Kaname's face, not tense, but not relaxed. He was wary. Looking forward, I see a figure....Yagori. Why has he come? Looking past him, I see someone else, that makes a smile come to my lips.

“Headmaster!” I run to him, hugging him tightly. It only takes the one sight of him to know how much I've missed him. He wraps his arms around me, stroking my hair, like he did when I was little. Kaname may be my older brother, and my parents dead, but he had been my father since I was six. I adored him, even if I didn't call him father.

“You still can't at least call me Kaien?” He asks, a small smile on his face. I can only smile back and keep hugging, breathing in his scent of soap and rose tea. He gently pushes me back, and goes to greet Kaname. It's then I see who is behind him, standing next to Yagari.

I know pure bloods should keep their emotions in check in public, but I have never learned this skill. Tears fall from my eyes, blurring my vision slightly. I can't tell if he is struggling with his emotion, but I know I am. “Zero...” I can feel everyone watching us, and I don't know what to do. Zero loathed me last time we spoke, was ready to shoot me from behind a door, then threatened to kill me. Is that why he came?

“Zero.....” I lower my eyes to the ground, trying to hide the tears, trying to make them go away. He was still alive, and he looked okay. That was what I was concerned about. I can feel the others moving away, giving us room. For a few minutes that stretch like eternity, there's nothing we say.

Suddenly I can't take it anymore, and run, hugging him. I can feel from the way his body is so tense that he didn't expect this. I don't' care if he shoots me now, I just hug him tighter, trying not to cry into his shirt. There's nothing really left to do or say, and even if there was, would he accept it?

Somehow, Zero's arms come around my back, holding me there, pressing my face into his shoulder. I'm tall enough now that my eyes peek out over the top, tears still brimming. “Yuki....” his voice is exactly as I have remembered, kept alive by dreams and memories. I close my eyes, the few tears that I let spilling out. We just stand there, holding each other, the memories rebounding. Almost like it was. I can smell him though, his blood lust barely there, just under the surface, and I know he can smell me, a pure blood, with powers over him. We both haven't changed a bit in the two years we've been away from each other, but what are two years stacked atop the thousands we will live?

Eventually he lets me go, just as I let him go. We watch each other, both wondering what to do. “Zero....how have you been?” the question is quiet, almost hesitant. So much history between us....Instead of answering, his gaze switches to behind us, and I can sense the hidden menace. “Has Kaname persuaded you into marrying him yet?” he asks, almost spitefully. I can only shake my head wondering why he would ask. It's then I look back, between the two men I love.

“Zero......” I wish I knew what I could say to make him feel better, but instead my throat chokes up with tears. It's then that Kaname and the Headmaster come over. I can't read either of their expressions, but I try anyway.

“Kaname has agreed to let Yuki stay one night, to get away from the pressures of being a pure blood.” The headmaster announces, a small smile lighting up his face. I can't say anything, but try to swallow the tears in my throat and hug Kaname. “Thank you.” I manage to whisper, holding tightly. He hugs back for a minute, then let's me go. “I'll have some clothes dropped off.” He replies, smiling his small, worried smile.

He turns to leave, Seiren walking beside him, as I stay beside the headmaster and Zero, Yagari behind us. It occurs to me, that between these two worlds, I am the only one who never belongs in either of them. Too emotional for the pure bloods, but royalty that doesn't belong in the other. As if hearing these thoughts, a hand appears on my shoulder, and I look back into the Headmaster's eyes. I smile a little, and he smiles back. “Shall I take you home, Yuki?”

I'm staying in the Headmaster's spare room, in between dorms. They told me what happened to Yori, how there was nothing any of them could have done, but it still aches in my heart. Sitting on the bed, I let my hand run over the coverlet, closing my eyes. No one recognized me as the former guardian when we approached, only as a new student of the Night Class. Standing, my head spins, and I put a hand out to steady myself. This sickness, whatever it is, is getting worse. Ignoring the headache that's coming on, I walk to the bathroom, clutching a towel to my chest.

The bathroom lock is still broken apparently, and this makes a smile come to my face. I open the door, and shut it behind me, slinging the towel over the doorknob. Turning on the faucet, I let the cold water run, then splash my face, trying to calm down. For a second I can hear two heartbeats filling the room, joined together. Then it fades, and I'm on the floor, vision blurring. Someone is standing over me, holding something.

“Sorry...Zero. Guess I left the towel off.” I mutter, getting up. He only shakes his head, helping me up. “Are you okay?” he asks, holding his own towel. I only nod, leaning back against the counter. There's no way I could tell him what I think is wrong, but I don't know how I can keep a secret, or even begin to tell him. As I look at the floor, trying to find the way to say it, there's a creaking. I just have enough time to glance up until Zero grabs me, pulling me down as the mirror shatters. I can hear the individual shards falling to the floor, the ringing of each one against the tile.

“Calm down Yuki.” I can hear him murmur as the walls creak, and I try to still my thoughts, my heart. Eventually I'm calmer, and Zero lets me up. I'm reminded of how much this resembles my first night as a vampire. “I'm sorry.” I apologize, trying not to look at what used to be the mirror. He shakes his head, then goes to tell the headmaster we need a new mirror, I guess. I get the broom and the dustpan and begin to clean up the mess.

7. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 5
    The walls are bloodstained, the carpet soaked with the rivers that are running down the carvings. Stumbling, I can smell it, choking me, closing my throat. It hurts, but I struggle on. I have to find out what this means. As I press on, it gets harder, and I eventually collapse, struggling to breathe. Opening my eyes, I can feel them burning with the blood lust, my chest burning, my fangs aching. The walls blur as I struggle to breath, and I try to see that figure that has suddenly appeared. It's cradling something, and I pull myself toward it.

“Mama!” I try to cry out, a cry that comes as a whisper. She turns, cradling a baby, her eyes sad. “I wanted you to have a different life.” She says, her fingers clenching the baby. “I wanted you to smile. From the bottom of your heart.” The last six words, her voice merges with someone else's, and I hear screaming, voices merging.

“You *******! You're after my chi-”

“Juri, we have lived a long life. It has been three thousand years since you were born. I will allow you....”

“Kaname! I smell Daddy's blood! Kana-”

“Please continue to take care of Yuki....”

“If he asks you for this, to be a vampire, I will...”

“Zero no! He's my brothe-”

“Come be my sacrifice Yuki...”

I scream, crying out, my voice echoing down the hallway. “Zero RUN!”

Something grabs me, pulling me into a suffocating blanket. I struggle, still screaming, gasping for air. It's then I open my eyes, pulling away from the dream. It's all a dream, just a dream. Before thinking, I sink my fangs into whatever holding me, trying to escape. He's coming back, he wants to use me. A muffled gasp, and the arms go slack. Sitting back, I realize it's a person, not him. “Z-Zero?” I can feel myself trembling, my muscles tense. “Wh-what are you doing?” I try to reach out, but my hand shakes too much. I can only sit there, the smell of blood wafting toward me, getting stronger.

His eyes watch me, and for a moment I see an unimaginable amount of pain, of hurt that I left behind. Then it's masked by a cool indifference, something I want to just break, like thin ice on a pond. I'm the one who ruined him. I'm being selfish by staying here. A plan formulates in my mind. “I'm sorry Zero.” I put on a false cheer, smiling, lowering my eyes to cover the lie. “I haven't been sleeping well.” Gently pushing him off the bed, out the door, I smile again, this time raising my eyes, confident. “I'm sorry to have woken you.” Before he can reply, if he even would, I shut the door, then press my ear to it, listening.

Slowly, his footsteps recede, and I sigh, letting the pain overwhelm me for a second, the tears stinging my eyes again. Raising my head, I go to the window, opening it, gently climbing on the sill. “I'm sorry Zero.” I whisper, letting myself fall to the ground. Landing on the ground, the voices from my dream running through my head, I run, not caring that the frozen ground is stinging my feet, or that the snow is flying into my eyes. I just run, trying to leave everything behind.

In the end, it catches up to me. No matter what the legends say, we vampires, even pure bloods, can feel cold. I can't die of it, but it can freeze me, make my feet bleed. Blood....I lay under an oak tree, the leaves brown and dead, fluttering in the slight breeze. My feet slowly heal, but stay cold, tinged blue, frozen. Idly wondering if I could lose my feet to this, I lean my head back against the trunk of the tree, looking up at the sky. There is a stillness to the air, no sounds, no animals, nothing. Not even a sparrow. Everything else in the world is asleep, missing out on this quiet beauty. A deadly beauty. I would be dead if not for the vampire genes...the ones my mother sealed....

Cradling my head, I let the tears fall, watching them freeze as they hit the ground. My past is always one step behind me, tripping me. Why can't it leave? Because his followers can still come for you.... Shaking my head, trying to clear the thoughts, I tried to think politically, as Kaname would. Ruka was envious of his relationship with me, but she would never hurt me. We were polite rivals. She knew I didn't want Kaname the way she wanted him, not anymore. I didn't want to be like mother, or father. I wanted to be me.

Hanabusa and I got along, in a way. He's easy to tease...and it's fun to watch the other vampires do it. Kain is silent, I don't know his feelings toward me, but he never went out of his way to hurt me. He tried to protect me...they all did. Shiki is happy with Rima. Seiren....Seiren treated me as a little sister, when she wasn't guarding Kaname.

A shiver runs down my spine, and I sit up, eyes widening. Because I've heard that sound, the sound that haunts my nightmares. A hiss....footsteps. And fangs being bared.

Zero ran his hand along the wall, as if to find his way in the dark, though he didn't need it. He could see well enough, thanks to that hateful part of him. The side of his neck that Yuki had bitten still stung, but was healing slowly. He rubbed it, his thoughts going back to her. The instant she had woken up, she had looked so scared...instinctively he had wanted to hold her, to make the fear go away, protect her. She had bitten him in return. He had seen from the shock in her eyes that she hadn't known it was him, but then what had she thought?

Stopping, leaning his head against the wall, he banged his fist against it in frustration. Why couldn't he let himself trust her? He knew she saw his pain, but why had she pushed him out so quickly, instead of trying to fix things like she normally did?

She had always tried to help him, except for....

“For that night that I showed her true form.” Zero could hear Kaname's voice in his head, and bared his fangs, growling. “Really, Kiryu. Are you that stupid? What happened last time when she pushed you away?” The mocking arrogance that never left his voice was apparent, driving shivers of hate down Zero's spine. Hate....what had he tried to protect Yuki from when the one he had left? Who hated Kaname with a passion.....

Zero's eyes widened, and he dashed out, pushing the door to Yuki's room open. Gone. Dashing, he flung himself out of the window, and followed the smell she had left behind, a smell that was getting stronger with every step. Blood.

Landing on her feet, Yuki, held her side, her eyes narrowed. At least she had been taught this much. But it wasn't enough to survive. A group surrounded her, and they weren't vampire. Stepping forward, a man in a professional suit and holding a golden sword pointed it at her, the edge dripping with her blood. “Yuki Kuran, by order of the Hunter Society, you are hereby to be executed.” He sounded so bored, like he said things like this to everyone, but I can smell their excitement. They know my lineage, who I belong with. They want to get to Kaname and Zero.

Reaching back slowly, I offered a smile. “On what charges?” I ask, gripping my staff, concentrating.

“On the grounds of trespassing, being changed illegally into a vampire, and killing several humans.” That made me pause. Humans...Sensing a quick movement, I swung my staff around, smacking the end right into the man's stomach. A blue light charges out of it, throwing him several feet, a hole in his shirt, burning. I don't bother to look, but turn, swinging it again at the others, trailing that blue lightning.

It was all going good, until I turned my back on a man I thought had fallen. He wrapped his whip around my legs, causing me to fall. Okay, so I hadn't quite mastered fighting. Standing over me, leering, he began to wrap the whip around my throat, trying to choke me. This was how I was going to die? How shameful. Kaname or Zero would have done so much more. I could feel the air leave my lungs, choking, I struggled, weakening. As my eyes slowly flickered shut, I could have swore I smelled Zero, but....he didn't know. I'm love you, Zero.... was the last thought as my world went black.

8. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 6

Zero paced the hallway, an action that was becoming familiar to him. He rubbed his head, watching the familiar tread marks in the carpet as he moved back and forth. There would probably be treadmarks in the wood for years to come after this. Stopping as the door to Yuki's room opened, he looked up to the Kaien Cross come out with the doctor he had called.

“She's fine, just tired.” he murmured, sending a wave of relief through Zero. Leaning back against the door, he listened quietly, too relieved to even say thank you. After Kaien nodded to him, the slender teen went into Yuki's room, closing the door behind him. She was asleep, her long brown hair spread across the pillow. There had been welts on her neck, but they were gone now. A pitcher of water sat next to her bed, along with a bowl full of blood tablets and an empty glass.

Sitting on her bed, Zero watched her sleep, taking in the little ways in which she had changed. She slept the same way, as if trying to be protective in her sleep, her arms cradling something he couldn't see. Gently pulling the covers up higher on her, he gently stroked her hair, as she had done to him when they were kids. He wanted to spend as much time with her, without any of the pain, before Kaname came. For he would surely come, soon enough. She had been threatened by the Hunter's Alliance, after all.

Yuki stirred in her sleep, her large brown red eyes opening. They had once been a soft, earthy brown, but the vampire genes in her had changed them. That was not the only thing. She seemed to weary, as if she was drained of energy constantly. “Zero?” she murmured, struggling to sit up. He helped her sit back against the pillows, watching her. “You should sleep.” he said, filling the glass with water and dropping in a blood tablet. Offering it to her, he watched, not even trying to smile.

Yuki sighed, taking the glass and sipping, the color coming back in her cheeks. “I can't stand sleeping.” Leaning back, she set the glass by the table. “What happened?” was the next question, her eyes on his. Feeling slightly uncomfortable, he got up. “I killed the hunters you hadn't managed to finish off, and brought you home. The headmaster called a doctor, and Kuran.” He was always surprised by how bitter the name fell off his tongue.

A small hand touched his shoulder, making him look. Yuki had gotten out of bed, standing next to him, a ghost in white. “I didn't mean that.” she murmured, watching him still. “I meant....why you've waited so long.” She smiled after that, looking so small it made Zero's heart ache. “Why you never told me what I kept trying to show you. Why you pushed me away.”

He knew of course to what she was referring. The time he had almost kissed her, all the times she had given her blood to him, and then....the night Kuran changed her. Turning his head away, he focused on the ground. “Kuran can protect you, and offer you more. Even if his intentions...” he couldn't finish that sentence.

Sensing something, Zero looked up. Yuki was clutching the wall, her face pale and drawn, almost doubled over. “Yuki?” he rushed to support her, not quite panicking. She managed a smile, then closed her eyes, slumping against him. “Do you hear it?” she asked, almost whispering.

There it was, like a heartbeat. Small, uneven, but it was a heart beating. Zero felt his eyes widen, his hands holding her tighter. Her breathing became quieter, as she was drifting back into sleep. “I'm sorry that I love you.”

As if the words were bullets penetrating skin, he felt something break in him. Not that it was a bad breaking. It almost felt good. Like he was warm again. Gently settling Yuki in her bed, he kissed her forehead gently, murmuring, “I'm sorry I love you too.” Standing back, he sighed, rubbing his forehead. It was then Kaname Kuran came in.

Zero coul smell him as soon as he entered the room. The door closed behind him, locking. The two men glared at each other, and Zero reached for his gun instinctively. Kuran was moving before he could close on the trigger, grabbing Zero's neck and pinning him against the wall. Zero pulled his gun up at the same time, pointing it at Kuran's head. They stayed that way, baring fangs at each other, their eyes blood colored and glittering with malice. “You know, you always got in the way.” Kuran whispered, throwing Zero against another wall. Zero resisted pulling the trigger, knowing the sound would awake Yuki.

“Why? Why did you do this to her?” he asked, tightening his grip on the gun. Kuran paused, his grimace turning into a smile. “I didn't do anything. It's her blood, causing this.” Zero cocked his gun, squeezing the trigger gently. “What do you mean!?”

“My blood entered her body and changed her vampire genes, at the same time, giving her the ability to carry on our kind.” The gun went off, breaking the still silence in the house. Yuki sat upright, her eyes wide. “Kaname...Zero!” She slowly got out of bed, trying to make her way over to them. Zero's eyes turned toward her. He didn't want her in the middle of this. “No, Yuki!” At that same instant, Kaname let go of Zero and hugged her.
    “Yuki, are you alright?” he murmured, holding her tightly. Zero watched, hiding his feelings, lowering his gun. “I'm fine.” Yuki tried to pull away. “Kaname, what were you and Zero doing?”

“We were just solving problems. Kiryu had some issues he wanted to bring up with me.” Kaname was trying to keep her in the dark, again. How long could he do this? Zero said nothing. He wouldn't lie, if she asked, but he woudln't ruin her innocence either.

“Kaname, tell me what you were doing.” Yuki was beginning to get agitated. Kaname tried to calm her, telling her things were alright, but she knew he was lying this time. The wall began to creak, the wall paper ripping.

“Yuki.” Zero caught and held her light brown eyes, telling her the truth with his. “Calm down.” Slowly, the room went back to normal, the wallpaper mending.

Kaien entered the room, then pulling Kaname aside. Yuki clung to Zero, watching. “You were fighting over me, weren't you?” she asked, her voice lower then a whisper. Zero nodded, watching as well. “You know what's happening to you. He wants to keep you in the dark, but you know what's happening, don't you?” He sensed her nod, then sighed.

Suddenly, the room warped and twisted, as if something was sucking it out from the inside. He reached out to grab onto something, but suddenly, it felt like he closed his eyes for two seconds. As he opened them, sunlight poured into his window. He could hear the chatter of the students outside, and blinked, sitting upright. Had it all been a dream? Looking down at his arm, clenching it, he couldn't feel any soreness. What the hell?

Getting up, slowly dressing, his mind went over the events. What had happened? Pulling on his Guardian badge, he sighed again, then made his way to the gate, to protect the Nightclass students from the Day class. Stupid school rules. The group, mostly made of girls, wouldn't approach him, scary as he was. They shrank back, eager to get a look at the Night class, but tenative around him. Yuki would have had much more trouble....

The gate creaked open, jolting him. The Night class came out, quiet and dignified. Only...Kaname was leading them, Seiren at his side, and...

“Yuki.” Zero heard himself whisper, knowing he was as shocked as the rest of them. No doubt they didnt' recognize her, she was so different. She had always been beautiful before, but now she had an ethereal air to her, instead of the innocence that had clung to her, shown through her eyes. She looked over at him, then left Kaname's side, making her way to him.

“Zero.”

She looked more alive today, color in her cheeks, her eyes a little brighter. “I'll explain, but...are you feeling okay? No side effects?”

“I can't remember, if that is side effect enough.” he drawled keeping his eyes on the crowd. The boys were watching Yuki, almost drooling, the fools. She winced at the rebuke, then looked back. “I'll talk to you tonight, after class.” she murmured. “Kaname is insisting if I remain here, I must be schooled.” So she was still with him.

Pushing away that issue for later, Zero nodded. “Till then, Yuki-sama.”

He wished he could take back what he had said as pain flared in her eyes, but she lowered them before allowing more emotion to be seen. “Good morning, Zero.” She walked off, her head held higher, but her eyes lower. Melting into the crowd, she and the Night class disappeared into the school, as the sun set.

9. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Interlude

Time passes in a blur, especially when you have nothing to do but worry. Spring turns to Summer, Summer to Fall, and Fall to Winter. If only it was as easy to leave memories behind. I wait, and wait, hoping that each night, I will be able to sleep peacefully, I will not remember, but each night I am disappointed. As to be expected, with each passing night, the hope inside me dims a little more, like a candle slowly waning.

Some days, I feel as if the air is so sluggish, I can only try to swim through it, try to leave it behind. Some days, it's so light, I feel as if I'll fly. What would be holding me here, anyway? Zero sees me as something unattainable, something so cursed, so beastly in nature, I can't be loved. Kaname sees me as a way to help give our kind a future, and he loves me, because I am part of what he is.

So who am I? What am I to anyone? I want to just start over, just be me, without these memories, these thoughts in me holding me back, drowning me. What would it be like to just lose everything and start anew? To be free again? I almost wish to be human, but I was living a lie. Forgetting isn't a lie. It's simply forgetting. I wish for this so much. This one wish, to be granted. What would it take?

10. Juicy Chaser

OMG.

I love it. 8D

I waited until now to read this, since I finished the anime just after Christmas. I'm in love with your fic. @-@ Since finishing the series I was still eager for more (lol) and this is just the right dose of Vampire Knight for me. 8D

I was always a huge YuukiXZero fan, especially once I found out about the incest between Yuuki and Kaname which totally put me off the pair. I'm hoping sweet Zero will get a chance here. <3

I'm glad you've got all your facts right, it really bugs me when people write fanfics that get things from the original wrong. The recap in chapter one was useful.

I really don't like the idea of Yuuki being pregnant though. :|

Keep writing!

EDIT- I almost forgot to add- the Interlude was beautiful. (:

11. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 7

Spoiled. Getting what you want, not having to work for it, not worrying about others. Selfish. Not thinking of others, only going for what you want, a steady course. Traveling. A journey to someplace, home or otherwise. Dangerous. The opposite of safety. And so the game goes on. It keeps me busy, keeps me quiet. I know everyone is out there. My brother, Kaien Cross, Zero, the aristocrats. They all want to see what has become of me, what I am doing. But they will not, not until this is over. I am going to make everything right, one way, or another. Correction. Something that has been done to fix something. Tools. Items to be used....

Rima finished brushing her hair, then stared at the mirror, her bright eyes contemplating. Yuki sama was sick, she would be joining them again. That was the excuse they had been given for the strange girl who had locked herself in her room. Kaname lied again and again to protect her, only to hurt her, and others who cared. Ruka's face flashed before her eyes, then Hanabusa's. It always affected someone. Last time it had affected Shiki. Lowering the brush, Rima consulted her reflection one last time before standing and shaking out her skirt. Short as it was, it helped show off her legs, and make her look taller.
    Her shirt had a high collar, black, with a light colored pink heart in the middle. True to her darker nature, the heart was being stabbed by a knife, intricately carved.

Slipping out into the hallway, she glanced around before heading into the gardens, lost to her thoughts again. Shiki being possessed had been...frightening. There had been a blood lust about him, an aura of darkness even she was afraid of. She blamed Kaname Kuran, though she couldn't say as much. It was taboo to fight their leader, even the deposed son of a leader, but in her heart, she blamed him. She didn't blame Yuki, the poor girl. She had been happier as a human, but that innocence in her eyes was gone.

Shaking her head to clear it, Rima looked out a window and smiled slightly. Shiki lay on the ground, in the midst of the snow, his eyes closed. Sleeping. In the snow. Only he would do that. Shaking her head again, this time in mocking despair. He was letting himself go, he needed to be able to keep his job.

She went out to him, then stood over him, her shadow concealing his face. His eyes opened, a lovely brown, tinged with red, as he looked up at her. “Rima, you're in my sun.” He muttered, rubbing his eyes and shutting them again.

“Well something needs to be. Lest you have forgotten, we have a job tomorrow at the modeling agency. Again. You need to be in top form, so get up.” With those words, she started hauling at his arm, struggling. It was so unfair that he had to be so much bigger then her, but it didn't manage to stop her. Tugging, she eventually got him up. “Come on, let's go inside. We can read that new book that Ichijo ordered.”

Shiki followed, silent. “Yuki sama is still sick, isn't she?”

Rima kept her head down, thinking of how to answer. “I suppose so. Does that mean you believe she's actually sick?” she looked back at him, shading her eyes.

Shiki only gave a little shake of his head, then stopped, and bowed. “Kaname sama.” he murmured. Without thinking, Rima let go of his hand and bowed as well, her head over her heart. “Kuran sama.” she whispered, her heart beat slowing. It had to, or he would know.

“Rima, Shiki. It's a lovely day, don't you agree?” Ever formal, Kaname smiled at them, giving them leave to stand back up. “I wanted to go for a walk in the gardens. It's been so long since I've been here.”

She considered him, her eyes concealing anything she was feeling or thinking. “Yuki sama has been feeling ill a lot lately. Is there a particular reason?” she probed, feeling bold. Shiki gripped her hand tightly, a silent warning.

Kaname straightened, staring at the horizon. “It is to be expected.” he murmured. “You both.....” he stopped, then smiled at her, and Shiki, his eyes resting on their clasped hands for one moment. “Take care, Rima, Shiki.”

Then he was gone, just like the slight breeze. Rima felt more alone then ever, though. “Shiki....” she looked back him, this time her hand gripping his tightly. “Shiki, something's going to happen, isn't it?” As though in concert, both adolescents raised their heads to look at the school, then the darkening sky.

“Yes Rima. Something dark is coming.” He began to lead her inside, his eyes unreadable, but darker without the light. It gave Rima shivers. “And this time, I think it's going to come from inside.”

12. Juicy Chaser

note to self- draw Rima, because she's awesome.

this story deserves waaaay more reviewers. >|
    Not much happened in this chapter, but it seemed more of a preparation for something I suppose. Something dark coming from "inside", eh? I presume they mean inside their own territory but I keep seeing inside as being inside Yuki's belly. *laughs*

Nice description of Rima. :3

13. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 8

Ruka pulled the covers back over her head, keeping her eyes shut. She didn't want to get up today, to see Kaname watching Yuki's door, his eyes full of a slight hope that she would come out. She didn't want to see Akatsuki watching her, knowing her as well as he knew himself. Why the hell does life have to be so complicated? Sighing, she slowly sat up, and undid her long light colored hair from its braid.

Brushing through it gently, she stared out the window, at the sun and the snow. Shiki was out there, lying face up, taking in the sun slowly. She smiled a little, watching Rima go out there and stand over him. They would end up together, everyone knew it. Two powerful families aligned, once more. Her heart aching, Ruka turned away, then began to pull her night gown over her head, the soft fabric scraping her skin gently. Selecting a light blue dress, she began to put it on herself, her eyes gazing into the distance.

Though the maids typically helped the girls get into any outfit other then their school uniform, all the others had dismissed the maids for the holidays. More time to just be themselves. Giving herself one last look, Ruka managed a small smile, and left her room, intending to go seek out Akatsuki. What she found was a little less safe.

“Ruka.” Kaname smiled, his smile hurting her, even though he was a good distance away. She knew why it hurt her, and lowered her eyes. “Kaname-sama. What can I help you with?”

“So formal.” He came closer, and she could sense it. She kept her eyes down, knowing that he wouldn't do anything more. He always played this cruel game, but never took it farther then that. “So formal. I had hoped to find a friend. I am in sad need of one these days.”

She finally looked up, veiling her emotions. “I was going to look for Akatsuki. We had plans for today.” She had to get out of here, get away, before she did something she regretted again. Kaname seemed to sense her desperation, because he passed her going on down the hallway to Yuki's room. “Have fun today, Ruka.”

Ruka stayed there, letting her body go limp, sagging against the wall as the familiar ache came in her chest. He was so much higher above her, and he had found his mate. So why did she still long to be the one in Yuki's place? Opening her eyes, Ruka stood up, following her original course back to Akatsuki's room. She would do it then, tonight. She would get rid of her rival.

I sit there, in the dark, huddled against a wall. I can feel it inside me, raging, wanting, but I shall deny it. I won't let it win out. This is my body, my soul. It shall always be mine. The thing burns me, making my eyes water, but I stay, not moving, even though I can smell. I know he knows what's wrong with me. He wants to fix it his way. I'm done taking orders. I shall do this my way.

He enters the room, concern in his gaze, watching me. He moves slowly, knowing as well as I do my control will break. “Yuki, you haven't drunk anything in several days. I have some blood tablets.” I make no move to respond, so he moves slightly closer. “Yuki, you need to take care of yourself. You need to be strong. For it as well as you.”

I snarl, and he backs up slightly, startled. “It? It!? It is me!” My whisper is harsh to both our ears, dry as a winter leaf and twice as cold. “It wants in, but I'm going to win. I won't make either of us stronger!” Surprised, Kaname's eyes widen. I can read what he thinks, and suddenly I start laughing. “You thought I was going to have a baby? That you had saved your race by simply feeding me that potion?” I stop laughing, though I am almost too weak to breathe. “I caught you! I gave it to someone else, and they won't know.”

From the horror in his eyes, I can read the full scale of what I have done, but I don't care. He tried to force me into something, and I countered him. Not only have I hurt someone under his care, but I've planned against him. “I was never yours.” I whisper, slowly settling down. It wants me to take him down, drink him dry, but I ignore it. It's getting to be easier, as time goes on. “And I never will be.”

Zero had the book open, but he wasn't focused on it. Instead he focused on the Night class as they played. Snowball fights of all things. He never wished he could join, but what he did wish was that he could see Yuki. This was the fifth day, and she hadn't come out. Kaien was worried as well, though he didn't say anything. Luckily, school had been let out for the holidays, so there were no more petty humans around.

Giving up on the book, Zero grabbed his pistol and coat, pulling it on. He opened the window and began to climb out on the roof. Except someone was already there. Stopping, he tried to back up, but he couldn't fit back through the window. Kaien Cross turned to smile at him, and pulled him up. “Zero, my my.”

Waiting to hear more, Zero said nothing, just brushed himself off. Instead, Kaien turned and watched the vampires below. After another minute went by, Zero decided to break his revere. “Headmaster, I want to check on Yuki. You haven't heard anything....have you?”

The headmaster shook his head, then turned his eyes to a second story window. “If you're silent, you can make it there before Kaname gets back.” They both knew it would come to a fight if Kaname was there. Zero nodded, and turned to go, but was stopped by a hand on his shoulder. “Kiryu...if Yuki hasn't had anything in all these days, she could be turning into a level E.”

The shock reverberated through Zero, and he couldn't manage to keep it off his face. “Yuki's mother tried some very tricky, very old magic when she made Yuki a human. We don't know how it will end, or how long she will be able to live like this.” He gently pressed some tablets into Zero's hand. “Just in case.”

Slowly nodding, Zero blinked, trying to get back to his normal emotional state of calm. He jumped off the edge, grabbing the side of a window and sliding down to the ground. Taking off, running through the edge of the woods, he skirted around the vampires, and reached the back of the building. Scaling it, window by window, he slowly opened the one Kaien had pointed to as Yuki's, and climbed in to whatever awaited him there.

14. Juicy Chaser

Just recommended this story to a friend of mine who loves VK too c:

I forsee a fight between Ruka, Zero, Kaname and Yuki now. xD I'm really curious about what exactly is happening to Yuki D: she's like, a vampire version of a schizophrenic right now B|

Ugh, the fact that Kaname is forever serious really bugs me :v haha, I guess you could say you've done well to keep him in character.

Zero forever! <3

15. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 9

I lay on the floor, trying to breathe without smelling them. Even here, I can smell them. Something in me keeps fighting, though, fighting it. I can feel it, in me. Like a bird struggling with its tether. Do I let it free, or do I fight to destroy everything? Closing my eyes, I feel liquid seep out from under my lids, trickling down my cheeks. Tears. When was the last time I cried? Opening my eyes, I lift my head to watch those small pearls of liquid fall to the ground, shatter and reform. Just like I had. Except when I had reformed, something had gotten in me.

Something smells, clean and sweet and pure. Blood. Blinking, I look up to see Zero. Zero. Great. Now I'm hallucinating. Except did hallucinations go so far as to reciprocate his smell, the feel of his hands against my hair? Because he was stroking my head, murmuring something. Looking up, my head spins, and I cling to the floor. Maybe this was real...but then what about that hallucination that had turned everything to blood?

Cautiously, I reach up and touch his face, running my fingers down his eyelids, closing them. “What do you think of me?†I murmur, dropping my hands. I know what I must look like. Pale, thin, weak. My hair is tangled into a knot; I'll probably have to cut it again.

He hands something to me, a tablet. Nearly dizzy with thirst, the burning an agony in my throat, I shakily drop it into the pitcher of water, then, barely able to breathe, tip the contents toward the rim and drink, long and hard. I can feel the liquid spilling down my cheeks, drenching my clothes, but I don't care. It's the sweet release I've been waiting for, the dizziness fading.

Letting the pitcher drop, I watch it shatter, then slowly sink to my knees, only to have Zero catch me. “Yuki?†His voice is so quiet, I wouldn't be able to hear it with human ears. “I'm alright.†I whisper back, leaning against him, soaking his shirt with the blood colored liquid. “Thank you.â€

There's no answer, but I'm too sleepy to wait for one. Slowly, I let my eyelids close, a smile on my face. I know I murmured something else, but I don't know what it is except for the tensing of Zero's arms. I let the darkness overtake me, and let all the cares slide away.

Akatsuki shook his head, letting the rest of the snow fall. It was annoying when it came indoors with him, made everything so wet. Grabbing a towel had been left on the rack, he sighed, rubbing his neck and shoulders. Or was going to, until he smelled it. Blood tablets had been used, a lot of them. Creeping upstairs, the towel smoldering in his hand, he bared his fangs, then opened the door silently. The first sense to assail him was the scent of the potent liquid, and the sight of it all over, especially Yuki Kuran. But Yuki was being held by Zero.

Kain didn't ask questions, he didn't have to. The feelings in Zero's eyes were bare for one second, and they showed him all he needed to know. “Yuki-sama isn't sick, is she?†he asked, standing up straight and closing the door. Flicking his finger, fire started all around the soaked carpet, ruining it, but most importantly, hiding the smell.

He opened the window, letting the room air out, then turned back to the strange vampire. “Ruka has been feeling ill these past days, almost symptomatic of what Yuki was supposed to be feeling, but I know now.†He could feel anger burning at him, but kept it hidden, his aristocratic training helping him. “Zero, take Yuki back to the headmaster. She will not survive here.â€

Zero looked startled, but gathered the small girl into his arms and began to carry her toward the window. “Akatsuki.â€
    Kain turned, surprised. He and Zero had barely spoken two words, but he had felt an unspoken camaraderie to the other man, knowing what it was like to love someone who longed for another. “Kiryu, you had better get moving. The others are going to be coming.â€

“Why help me? You should be stopping me. Kaname wants her here, and Yuki is your....â€

“Queen? No. She has never treated us as such. There are times when her pure blood self shows, when she commands respect and fear, and can manipulate, like Kaname, but that is not her. She grew up human, and her two selves are fighting each other, rejecting the change. She cannot be both.†Both males locked eyes for a second, then Kain looked away. “Go. Before Kaname gets back.â€

He meant to look back at Zero, to see how he meant to get on the roof and back to the school dorms, but all that awaited him was an empty window seat. He shook his head, smiled a little, then left the room, grabbing the dropped towel and drying the rest of himself off.

Rima grinned, then threw one last snowball at Shiki before darting away through the snow, to her hideout. She spotted a dark shadow on the roof and stopped, watching it intently. Shiki stopped beside her, and she gratefully sensed his presence next to her, moving slightly closer. “So it's begun.â€

Shiki nodded, then turned. Rima mimicked him, trying to see what he was doing, when icy coldness poured down her back. She screamed in panic and glee, and grabbed the nearest handful of snow to lob back at him. If a storm was coming, she was going to grab the small moments and hold them tight. Just like Yuki used to.

16. Juicy Chaser

Boo, I want more! That wasn't long enough ;A;

yayayay Yuuki + Zero time. <3 I love it, even if she is practically inconcious during the hug. xD

If she's fighting both parts of her, I'm very curious if you'll finish with her choosing one of them, or letting her adjust to both. :B

17. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 10

I wake up, in a soft bed, but not the one I have been used to. The room isn't dark, but a light color, almost white. An unoccupied chair sits next to me, as well as a large pitcher of the always present water and tablets. Slipping one into a glass, I pour some water in and drink it, letting it refresh me. Setting the glass down, I check. It is still quiet, perhaps even beaten. Great.

Checking the doors and windows, I find them locked. I should be worried, but I just can't bother, for some reason. Sitting back on the bed, I stare at the glass, making small fractures in it.

The door unlocks, and in steps Zero. His eyes are blank, as usual, his face set in the perpetual grimace it is always set in. I tilt my head, then go up to him, circling him.

“What the hell, Yuki?†he mutters, watching me until his head can't turn anymore, then turning his head the other way, to watch me circle again.

“Why did you dress in the Headmaster's clothing?â€

I'm teasing him. But for a moment, a manly fear crosses his face, and he looks down at his shirt. “This is mine!â€

“You men, always switching clothes.†I shake my head, sighing. “Without me to do the laundry, you've resorted to it yourself.....and look what happens.â€

He looks again, looking slightly worried, before I can't keep a straight face anymore and start laughing. Surprised, he watches me, then smiles, poking me. “Don't do that! I was seriously worried!â€

I keep laughing, holding my stomach because it hurts. Eventually, I stop, gasping for breath. “The sad thing is that you actually fell for it!†He smiles again, this time the smile lighting his eyes.

We both smile, and then I sit down. “So you rescued me from evil Kaname's clutches. I suppose I should thank my rescuer.â€

The smile disappears, and he sighs. “You were starving, when I got there. Do you want to tell me what exactly happened?â€

I shake my head, lowering my eyes to the floor. “I was having issues.†Zero is too perceptive, but he doesn't push the subject, as usual. “This room is yours, as long as you want it.â€

I nod again, then look up at him, and manage to smile. “That sounds okay.â€

The moment seems awkward now, as if there's nothing left to say. I want there to be something to say, some reason to make him stay here, but I have no right, not after all the pain I have caused. “I....I'm sorry. For making your existence miserable. For ruining your life here.†I murmur, keeping my gaze away from his straight forward one. I feel like such a liar, and such a nuisance, always needing saving, always in the way.

“You didn't ruin it.†He replies. I look up, but he's gone with the slight breeze. Now I know the door was locked, and the window, to keep my scent from getting out. The window is unlocked now, and Kaname will be here soon enough. All I can do is hope that I will be able to handle him w hen the time comes. My conscience twinges, as I remember the cost of my actions, but I did what I had to. Hopefully he will realize I am not a human child no longer, but a vampire princess. He brought this change, he had better be ready for the consequences.

Kaname stared out the window, and inhaled deeply. Yuki's scent had always been irregular, even for a vampire. It still smelled slightly human, like a rose, almost. While it made it easier to find her, it made it harder to stay away.

Seiren sat at his side, reading her book. “Don't you find human histories boring?†He asked, not bothering to glance at her.

There was a small sigh, then he sensed her smile. “I like history, Kuran-sama. It's interesting to see what people were, and compare it to what they are now.†a page turned, and all was quiet.

“Seiren.†Again his voice broke the silence. “I need you to check on a few things for me.â€

She stood, the book set to the side. “Of course, Kuran-sama.†She bowed, her light colored hair swinging across her face. “The three of your pieces, correct?â€

Kaname nodded, then smiled at her. “Seiren, if what I think is true, then you know what must be done.†She nodded, her eyes thoughtful, then turned to go. “Kaname....â€

Rare that she called him Kuran, it was rarer still she called him Kaname. “Yes, Seiren?†He turned to face her, his eyes focused on her face.

“You know where I come from, and yet you trust me with all this. Why? Why do you think I will never hurt you?â€

“You will hurt me one day, Seiren. One day you will unavoidably hurt me. I trust you, because I know that you feel the same as I do about peace. You want it too.â€

She nodded, gave him a small smile, and disappeared. Kaname turned back to the windw, closing it, and watching as the glass full of liquid next to him shattered. “I should never have begun this.â€

18. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 11

I struggle with the book, trying to figure it out. If x goes here, then why is y here.... Damned mathematics. Being a vampire didn't make that aspect of my life any easier. I sigh, and try to tackle the problem again.

Someone opens the door below. I can smell the cold air, the freshness of it. It makes me want to drop everything and go roll in the snow, but I can't. Not yet. What point is there to this anyway?... Zero opens the door, his eyebrows furrowed.

Normally, human Yuki would blush at this, and beg him to join her, or ask about his day. Vampire Yuki would act as though he never existed. I simply smile at him, inclining my head. “Zero, what's wrong?”

He doesn't answer as usual, but sits next to me. “Still working on that problem? I gave it to you two hours ago.”

“Shut up.” I try not to whine. “This is really hard!”

He almost smiles, then leans in closer. “That's because the x goes here, and the y goes here, see?” He's close enough that his scent might overwhelm me. I take a deep breath, inhaling the sweetness of it. While Kaname's is over sweet, like my own scent, Zero's is colder, almost like a flower frozen in the winter, and just thawed, like spicy evergreen.

Trying to stem this line of thought, I follow his example, working out the problem. “But these are variables. That means they vary....they can't just be one thing.”

Zero stands up, moving away from the source of conflict, as he used to, before he learned how to really fight. “The book tells what they are, what they always will be, and they stay that way forever.”

Somehow, I know we aren't just talking about math anymore. “But they still vary. Even the book cannot predict all the outcomes.” I smile a little, looking down. “Even it cannot predict everything that will happen. That makes the equation change, even if the rules don't.”

I sense him turn. “Yuki.....”

The blast of cold air would have shocked me, but I close my eyes, gathering myself.

Before Zero even has the time to reach for his gun, Seiren has him pinned against the wall, helpless. He can't even gasp before Kaname appears behind me. “Yuki.”

His voice sends chills through me, it's so cold. “I have missed your company.” As I turn, I stand. I may not be as tall as him, but I have my own to hold. I stare him down, giving no quarter. He doesn't look away as he murmurs,
    “It cannot be, Yuki.” He knows of my desire. I don't change position, or blush, or try to deny it. I am no longer human Yuki, the one he can control.

“You wish to challenge me?” He murmurs, a different light in his eyes. “Truly, Yuki. You really want to do battle?”

I smile, the pointed incisors of my fangs showing slightly from my top lip. The ultimate predator's grin. “This is my wish. If you win, I will go with you, and become your wife. If I win, you will leave and let no one but Seiren go with you.”

I never take my eyes off him as I say this. One slow move and he will have me, his hand reaching for my throat.

He nods, then he is gone.

I wish I could look at Zero, but now Kaname is behind me, slashing with his hand. I duck, whirling, hissing as I whip my long braid into his face, intending to blind him. He moves, grabbing my hair with one hand and pulling, reaching for me with the other. Sticking out my leg I trip him, then bend his wrist backward, almost breaking it.

He backs off, and we circle each other, fangs bared. This time, I leap first, feinting left and slamming in hard with my right foot. I manage to catch him by surprise, not for long, though. He recovers quickly, more quickly then I had anticipated, then catches my wrist and throws me over his shoulder, through left side of the window and out onto the ground.

The breath leaves my body for a short moment, and I cough, gasping. He just crossed the line. In another moment, he is over me, his fangs bared, reaching for my throat. I bring my knee up, thanking whatever gods there are that I chose to dress in combat clothes today. It catches his chin, and he falls back, stunned. Smelling my blood on the air, I leap on him, hissing, and rake my nails across his face, attempting to blind him.

His cheek turns at the last moment, and I only manage to cut through his eyebrow. Rolling backwards, I crouch, baring my teeth. He slowly gets up, and we circle again. Suddenly, something flashes. I emit a startled cry, and try to move, but too late. Whatever it was, he takes advantage of it, grabbing me from behind. I can feel his fangs scrape the softer skin on my throat, but I'm not done yet.

The world around me seems to slow, and Kaname's breath sharply intakes. “Yuki, what are you doing?” He almost sounds frightened.

“Too bad things didn't go according to your plan.” I whisper, and that's when the ice beneath us collapses.

Ruka was lying down, her head pounding so badly, she could barely stand. Akatsuki had stayed with her, watching her, reading from his book. His head jerked up at the same time hers had. “You smell that?” she asked, her voice soft, as she stared out the window. “Yuki's blood.....but...” A second later an even more familiar smell came to her, one that made her heart race. 'Kaname-sama's blood....” she tried to get out of bed, but the floor beneath her swam.

Akatsuki held her upright, the concern clear in his normally cloudy eyes. “Ruka, you should stay here. Whatever's going on, it's not our place.” She wanted to argue, but knew he was right.

“What happens when vampire siblings disagree?” she whispered, thinking of Haruka's brother, and how much havoc they had wreaked with the next generation.

Akatsuki had no answer, he only stared out the window. She could almost smell the fear from him, and from herself. That was when they both heard it, the earsplitting sound. Ruka couldn't put it to anything, but Akatsuki's eyes widened. “The ice! They broke the lake?!”

Hanabusa was spending most of his time, as he usually spent it these days, alone. Akatsuki was worried about Ruka, and Aido had urged him to go take care of her. It was only fair that after all he had brought his cousin through, that he should have a chance at some happiness.

The book in front of him held no regard, though, and he tossed the manga aside. Ichijo's taste in books needed much improvement. He reached for the latest science journal, the one that held his latest achievement, and sighed. Many months ago, these had seemed important, until his world had been turned upside down, by that girl, Yuki.

He couldn't even think of her as Kuran. She had always been Yuki Cross, it was inconceivable that she could be a vampire. But this smell...the blood of a pure blood, the blood of a Kuran, only sweeter then Kaname's. He stood up, his eyes wide.

There had only been twice before when he had smelled this amount of Kuran blood, and that had been when she had been changed, and when that man had come to destroy everything.

He sensed anger, betrayal, and satisfaction, and ran, bursting out of his room. Ichijo joined him as they looked out the window. “You think that....”

Ichijo only nodded, his usually joking face quiet and serious. “It's come to this.”

Aido started for the door. “We should help him, we should-”

Ichijo caught his arm. “Hanabusa. We best let them go. Kaname will ask for our help when he needs it.”

Aido knew as much, but it was torture to watch the fight. The crackling sound nearly split his eardrums. “Ichijo!” The windows all shattered, as well as the ice where the two figures stood. They both looked at each other, then ran out the door, quickly followed by Ruka and Akatsuki.

Rima listened as Shiki argued quietly with the headmaster. He wouldn't let them go, not without signed forms from their parents/guardians. Shiki's mother who had been killed by his father....Rima's grandmother's wishes....she sighed, rubbing her temples, only to stop suddenly. That man, the hunter, stood up as well. He was Zero's teacher...

“Cross, something's happenin-” His voice was cut off by the window shattering near Rima. She would have been cut, had Shiki not pulled her out of the way. She hugged him with one arm, staring out into the open sky. “What the hell.....”

A sudden movement caught her eye. The Headmaster was grabbing his weapon, something that had the appearance of a stick. His friend pulled out a gun, and looked at them calmly through his eye patch.

“If your students want no part in this, Cross, I would let them do damn well what they please.” With that he raced out the door, just as the smell of blood wafted in. Kuran blood. Rima felt her eyes widen as she looked up at Shiki. She would follow him.

He looked down at her, thinking. “If you two want to leave, do it now.” Cross murmured, jumping out the window.

Rima looked back up at Shiki, her eyes open. “Shiki....do you want to help?”

He smiled, then kissed her forehead, and grabbed her hand. “Let's repay Zero his debt. I still owe him a brother, after all.”

Rima Toya smiled, letting her grandmother's wishes of her, Shiki's troubles, and everything float behind her. She laughed with joy, the madness of the battle before them, and ran with him, electricity crackling around the hand that wasn't enclosed in his.

19. Juicy Chaser

Exciting chapter 8D
    Really didn't like the character development though. Kaname wouldn't accept a fight against Yuki so quickly, it was incredibly OOC for him. Apart from that, the fight was written really well and didn't get boring like a lot of fight scenes I read.

I wish you had gone back to Yuki and Kaname at the end of the chapter, now I have to wait again. >:

And for some reason I always confused Hanabusa and Ichijo xD

20. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Chapter 12

The first thing I thought was, that it was so cold. So bone numbing cold. I couldn't even breathe. But when I try, I choke on the ice that seems to fill my lungs. Struggling, I pull myself up, and broke the surface. The air is even colder, freezing the water that runs down my face. I choke out the water, then try to pull myself off the ice. It only collapses underneath me, shoving me back under.

The cold is so unimaginable. You go outside, thinking it's cold, shivering in a jacket and boots. This cold is deathly. It freezes your core, making you think you exhale and inhale the cold. I rise up again, but this time there's no air, only ice. Pushing against it, banging against it, it won't budge, or crack. My vision is going dark, and the water is beginning to feel oddly warm.

Zero's face flashes before my eyes as he fights Kaname, anger and rage filling his entire being, poisoning him. In one last effort, I shove my palms against the ice and push the rest of my energy into it, filling it. Then it shatters, ice shooting everywhere. I can't feel pain, only the darkness filling in my vision.....

Until Zero pulls me out. Gasping and choking, I try to cling, but only slip back in. This time Yagari and Kaien pull me out as well, my clothes sticking to my skin. I gasp for air, cough up some more water, then smile weakly. “I did it.†I murmur, snuggling in against Zero. He's so much warmer then me, it's almost instinct. I just want to remember what it's like to be warm again.

Kaien disappears from my view, only to come back with a blanket. He wraps me in it as Zero holds me, standing up. Looking through my dripping hair, I can see the rest of the Night Class huddled around someone. I see his eyes burning at me.

It brings me into a rage, I want to fight, but I have no energy left. I feel so pathetic, just clinging to Zero.

Ichijo comes up,w watching me. He bows slightly, then speaks to Zero is hushed tones. I can barely keep my eyes open, but I do it anyway.

Rima's watching me, her eyes cautious and wide in her small face. Shiki isn't near her. I watch her back, giving her stare for stare.

She looks away after a bit, watching Kaname as they all try to attend to him. I bury my face in Zero's chest, trying not to shiver.

We starts moving, but I don't care where to. I just want to find some place warm and stay there forever.

Kaname let his friends lead him back to the dorms. Friends. When had he begun thinking of them as friends? Seiren supported him on his left, Hanabusa on his right. He let his hair drip into his eyes, keeping them on the floor.

While Yuki's betrayal had hurt him, it hadn't shattered his being the way he thought it would. Maybe he hadn't loved her after all. No, he had. But was it enough to have been a true love, as his father loved his mother?

Seiren steered him into his room and let Hanabusa out, then began to close the windows. “She's grown more powerful.†she murmured, shuttering the last one and turning to face him, handing him a towel. “Enough to outwit you, in any effect.â€

Kaname said nothing, only listened as he dried himself off. Seiren had some plan, she always did.

“Maybe you should just leave her alone.â€

The silence stretched on, unbroken. Kaname turned, facing the walls of his dark room. “She's mine. I can't let anyone else have her. She has to be mine.â€

Seiren chuckled lightly. “You sound like a spoiled little children, Kaname Kuran, and that might be what you have become. She won't stay with you. She has a mind of her own, and she desires another. You knew she would.â€

Kaname's grip on the towel tightened, but he remained in control. Seiren was faster then he, even if he was stronger. “Kaname, let her go and let's go back to your parents' mansion. It won't be safe here much longer, not with the Senate or Hunter Society....â€

she sighed, realizing she wasn't getting anywhere, then put a hand on his shoulder. “I'll be in my room, should you wish to discuss a plan.â€

Then she was gone, the door shutting behind her.

Kaname sat down on the bed, still holding the dampened towel, his eyes gazing out the window. Seiren didn't know what she was talking about. He would still have Yuki, she still loved him. And the Hunter's Society would stay out of their way, but the Senate....he should take care of the Senate by showing his face. Maybe he could bring Yuki with, present her to society...that would be the last effort, before it became an all out war between him and her.

But the prize would be worth it. No matter what the cost.

Rima climbed the long stairs, following her nose. Yuki's scent was so unmistakable, it was impossible to lose her. No wonder Zero and Kaname were worried over her all the time. Coming to the door, Rima opened it quietly. Zero was nodding off in a chair, with Yuki in the bed, his bed, her hair spread out over the pillow.

Zero looked up, then left without a word. He closed the door behind him, watching Rima.
    She took a deep breath, then sat next to Yuki Kuran. The pure blood princess had the appearance of a vampire, all icy beauty. But underneath all that, there seemed to be something of the softer Yuki left, in the lighter color of her eyelashes, or the soft human fat that still surrounded her cheekbones.

The girl opened her eyes, and in them Rima could still see some of the human girl, the innocent who had not seen the bigger picture. That girl was quickly overrun by the cold vampire, who sat up, looking a little dazed. “Zero...he's okay?â€

Rima nodded, still watching her. Yuki stared back, and it was then Rima came to an understanding. “You have two sides.†She murmured, leaning back.

Yuki smiled a little, even bitterly, and swung her legs over the side of the bed. “Human and vampires were never supposed to be together. So now that the two are mixing inside me, what happens?†she murmured. “Kaname plays dangerous games.â€

Rima noticed she didn't say “samaâ€. She wondered vaguely when this had started occurring, but ignored it, for now. “There's a war coming. I'm not stupid. You and Kaname are fighting for your freedom.†She watched Yuki, her heartbeat slow and steady. “He's going to take you to the ball tomorrow night. Everything will be decided there. And I want you to leave me and Shiki out of it.â€

Yuki turned to look at her, her brown eyes unreadable. Finally, she spoke, softly. “Rima, if you and Shiki don't want to be draw into this, then I suggest you leave. I will do my best not to involve you, but I can't control what will happen, or who will get hurt.†Her eyes softened, and she looked at the ground. “I don't want anyone else to feel more pain.â€

Rima felt cold, instead of being relieved. “What do you mean, anyone else?†she murmured, her eyes locked on Yuki. The girl had the nerve to smile,and then looked up at Rima, giving her stare for stare. “How's Shiki?â€