Kingdom Hearts II Did you think the Mana bar (MP) was a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Labrys, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Labrys King's Apprentice

You see the Magic spells that you have are pretty strong but it won't last enough, it would consume too much mana. You can only do about 3 or 4 spells, then you'll have to wait until the bar fills up. Don't you think it was a bad idea to have a mana bar? The magic in this game is really neat but you can only do a soo little though. You can barley even do magic that's why I think it was a horrible idea to use a mana bar. Yes I know it's called Magic points, but I called or mana.

2. Especto Merlin's Housekeeper

I was sad to see the Magic bar removed from future installments simply because every RPG game I played had one. However, I think it was a smart decision to remove the bar because of the reasons K3YBL4D3 KHIGHT stated. I prefer the current system in the newer games, like Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance.

3. Misty gimme kiss

Yeah, I did really dislike the magic system in Kingdom Hearts II. I was a hefty magic user in the first game, but in Kingdom Hearts II it took so long to recharge magic that I would just save the bar for healing. I do think the system in Kingdom Hearts was perhaps a little too easy, which is why I think Birth by Sleep strikes a good balance--you have some recharge time, but you can still use other spells while the one you just used is recharging.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

The only thing I really disliked about the magic system in Kingdom Hearts II was that Cure / Cura / Curaga used the whole bar.

5. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

What are you talking about? gameshark
    /shot

No but seriously. The mana bar was a bit defective. Agree with Amaury on Cure. I was more of a physical attacker myself, but I used magic every now and then.

6. Cherry Berry Chaser

The only issue I had with the mana bar was with it using more bars with Cure/Cura/ Curaga than anything else. Other than that, I'm a happy customer.

7. Seapeople Merlin's Housekeeper

I'm a fighting game player at heart, so I kind of look at magic as the meter system of Kingdom Hearts.
    It was really good that cure consumed the whole bar imo. If you want to use something that powerful you should have to pay more for it. You could also use it strategically by spending most of your magic first and then using Cure or a limit when you're almost out. I improved a lot in this game once I tried using magic more often.
    Reflect was definitely overpowered though...it would have worked a lot better if they just gave you a longer recovery time after it.

I haven't played BBS or 3D so I can't really comment on whatever the new system is.

8. Doukuro Chaser

Cure costing too much was a pain though I do suppose it was a good way to make it more challenging. If only it was easier to tell how much MP you had though, since it was pretty much impossible to watch it carefully enough in the more difficult battles where it really mattered. The recharge speed made the moments while waiting for a heal really intense too.

When it came down to boss battles I could only use heal and no other magic for the most part, since I had to save it all for cure. Which was sad given how much I love magic.

9. Krowley Moderator

Pretty much this. Exactly this.

Since Birth bv sleep, the command system has sufficed to most players' needs while still providing a challenge.
    Curious as to how the Magic system will differ in the 3rd console installment.

10. Cherry Berry Chaser

I know how most of the mana bars go in various games, (excluding dream drop distance), and I find birth by sleep to be the best one they've worked on by far. Cure, of course, will always be a pain in the ass, as it causes us to wait for more time before we can use it again. But then again, it always keeps us on the edge of our seats, seeing if we can heal on time in boss battles and the likes. They did a good job with working on it. I just wonder how much they're going to change the mana bar when it reaches KHIII

11. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

My opinion on this is just neutral. There were times I found it annoying that I had to wait for the bar to recharge before I could use any of my spells after a cure, especially when I really needed a reflect soon after, but aside from that it seemed ok to me. I mean it's just like other games with mana bars.

12. mindwarper11 Moogle Assistant

I just don't like the kh2 magic system...plus they changed useful spells like fire into a different kind of useful... ice is nice, but homing is for the champions (hey I can aim amazingly, I found that out when I started playing kh2 again recently)
    area is nice assuming you have the time to pull it off, because if your sorrounded they are probably already attacking. and the area is so small even with firega it is near pointless.

oh yeah...and I hate cure costing all mana....that is the most rediculous thing of all...
    almost as bad as removing dodge roll...

13. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

14. Itachilives Gummi Ship Junkie

I was fine with it really, once I got to use to it.

15. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

I thought it was fine. I personally didn't like how much of the bar some spells took up but other than that it was alright. I also prefer the command system they have now over the old mp bar.

16. 61 No. B

I hated it the first time I played, after that I warmed up to it. It's good if you're trying to save munny and don't have/want to buy ethers.

Now that I've played the games many times more I have to say that this system really doesn't pay off till late in the game when you have mp haste and other abilities, though once you've reached that point I think it's great.[DOUBLEPOST=1357616639][/DOUBLEPOST]
    This was also something I didn't like at first, but taking this into consideration, and then also how long it takes to recharge your mp, it added a nice level of strategy to the game that wasn't in the first. You would to judge what would be the best way to heal in hard battles based on how much mp you had, how many items you had, and how long it took to recharge. I would always use magic till there was little mp left, then use that to heal. That way I wasn't using an entire bar.

17. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

I actually liked the Mana (Magic) bar. You cast your magic, then wait until you can cast more. It was better than the method that was used in KHI where you either had to fight, use items or go to a save point to heal your magic. Although, I mostly only used magic for healing in KHII. IMO, if you couldn't cast Cure, then stay alive long enough for it to refill, you need to work on your strategy.

Truthfully though, I prefer the BBS command list over all of them. You can pick and choose the magic and attacks you want without having to wade through a huge list of magic you never use (here's looking at you Magnet).

18. CaptainMIG Gummi Ship Junkie

that mana bar always keep making me lose to sephiroth i have to buy a lot of eithers and stuff

19. Shinichi Izumi Totally Pink and stuff

Not, At, All... Soooo much more efficient than KH1, and not to mention, You can use it to exploit Cura, by using it last, as long as you know how to use it and carry ethers around, you should be cool.

Detail: If you chose the Staff at the station of awakening, by the end of the game, your MP bar almost does not fit the TV screen, No lie.

20. Hiro ✩ Guardian

I was fine with it. I just turned off MP Charge for everything else to get better strategy, and used it mainly for Curing. I cured a lot in the Sephiroth battle, but it taught me how to use MP more sparingly, and that defensive magic is better than offensive. I rarely used the MP in KH1 because it looked dumb to me, but KHII improved it A LOT.