Inheritance

Discussion in 'Retirement Home' started by Arch, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aura Goddess

Joan's arms stretched up into the air as far she could make them go, groaning quietly as she listened to the sound of leaves crunching beneath her feet. Behind her trailed her dragon, flying overhead. She figured one of the other students would be with Merik by now seeing as how she had a tendency to be a little late. Then again, she did feel like she was finally early this time.

Joan came to a halt and stared off into the distance, seeing Merik and his dragon alone. The other students hadn't arrived yet and she was actually the first one. A miracle. Sighing lowly, she continued forward until she was a reasonable distance from Merik. A small smile crossed her lips as she placed a hand on her hips, facing her teacher. "Hey," was all she said, her dragon landing right behind her. Orchid wasn't was large as Randen was, but she was still a reasonable size.

2. Arch Mana Knight

"Yes...I was close to these Riders." Eragon started, taking a moment before continuing. "While I have sent Risit out to Alagaësia several times recently he's been heading off on his own. He is a dear friend of mine but I cannot help to think that his actions have become suspicious." Eragon scratched his chin thoughtfully which was clean-shaven since the morning. "I am unable to account for the position of most of the teachers here as well." Eragon stepped towards the elder and placed a hand on her shoulder, looking Evarinya in the eye. "Keep your senses open. That is what I wish for you to do. We will not act until we are certain of who the traitor is."

~~~~~~~~~~~​

"Ah...there you are. I am glad that you are here early, Joan Svit-kona." Though "Svit-kona" was reserved for elf women, it was a title he had given Joan regardless...and he found saying it to be particularly humorous. Merik smiled at the girl and turned towards Orchid, bowing at the dragon. "Today there will be quite an interesting lesson." He spoke softly, tilting his head when he saw another pair a distance away. With his sharp eyes he could see that it was Styrke and Lyrth. "This is good, we will not have to wait much longer before we can start our class."

~~~~~~~~~~~

'Come. Follow us, Rider and dragon.'

Risit called out mentally towards Airi and Jerrod, urging his own dragon to head off towards the massive tree where Eragon would be waiting.

What happened to resting? Vanilor asked Risit, his large eye peaking over at his Rider once more as his massive wings flapped to once to keep them at a level height. The dragon looked straight ahead, fixing his sight on his destination.

'We'll have plenty of time to rest later.' Risit smacked his hand against Vanilor's neck and looked over to check if the two newcomers were following them yet.

3. flowergothic Twilight Town Denizen

"C'mon Jerrod, let's follow them." Airi was trying to make Jerrod follow Risit and Vanilor.
    "This second?"
    "Yes." And Jerrod took off to follow those two.
    "Miku." Airi thought while trying to make sure Jerrod wouldn't get tired.
    "Miku."

4. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Evarinya nodded, though, for some reason, she felt like crying; she knew Risit as well, of course, and the fact that Eragon had brought the name up in his suspicions made her very upset inside; she loved her fellow Elders, as well as the teachers and all the students she knew. This was her purpose, here, doing all of her work for the good of the young Riders and their dragons. To think... that the word murder was even thinkable in this day and age was--

Very saddening, Mizuiro finished toward Evarinya. Do not despair, though; Eragon is right. We must wait until we have gathered all the necessary information before acting. Doing anything now would be rash and unhelpful to the younglings.

Evarinya sighed, bowing her head. Yes, of course, she thought back. I am praying that the rumors are not true, either way.

Mizuiro lowered her head till her bottom jaw touched the ground softly. Act wisely and kindly, Eva. No matter what happens.

Evarinya wanted to smile in recognition of her dragon's encouraging words, but found herself unable to. Instead, she spoke aloud, "We agree, Eragon-elda. Wherever and whenever you need us, we are ready to serve."

-------------------

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Eira rose up from her crouching, aiming stance, securing her bow over her shoulders when she saw the other students arriving. She glanced over at Amaterasu to see his nostrils flaring and contracting constantly, smelling the air with the scents of the other dragons and their respective Riders. She could tell, from the small twitch in his nail that he was excited beyond belief to prove himself... even though he'd never admit it.

Oh, my, Amaterasu chuckled, buffeted Eira in two pillars of smoke that she batted away with her hands. Just look at how... small some of them are! Could they not put us in a better ranking class with those of our own skills and abilities? This will be embarrassing.

Embarrassing for us if you get too cocky, Ama, Eira added as she crossed her arms over her chest, shifting her body weight from one leg to the other. She couldn't help but smile, though; the blood in her veins knew the glory of battle, the intellect of strategy, and the overwhelming love of a warrior. She was ready as well.

Amaterasu did not acknowledge or respond to Eira's warning statement. He merely ran his tongue across his teeth once, and then knelt down to curl into a ball to Eira's right, only keeping one eye open in the direction of the arriving students and dragons. His attitude was nonchallant, but Eira knew he was hiding his anticipation.

5. Arch Mana Knight

OOC: Shorter post than I originally had in mind but oh well.

BIC:

"Good." Eragon nodded at Evarinya. "You may leave. I will call you when I find anything of use. I trust you will do you the same. Whoever this is, this Rider is dangerous and should not be approached by any single person directly."

~~~~~~~~~~~​

"Now that..." Merik paused and looked for Elysia and her dragon. "...Most of you are here, I will begin today's lesson." Merik drew his sword and held it up in one hand, the pommel up near his face while the tip of the blade pointed straight down at the ground. He dropped the sword, letting the silver blade bury itself partially in the ground. "As some of you know, the gemstone placed in a Rider's sword can store energy for later use. Of course, this is always an option one has at hand as filling gemstones can take a great deal of time. A Rider must be able to draw their strength from their dragon. This is what makes Riders so powerful." Merik smirked and looked at the small group of students. "I am sure this much should have been obvious though. This is why I have an interesting task at hand for all of you. Call on your dragon's senses. You will need them to find your swords."

Merik snapped his fingers, causing all their swords to vanish from their sheathes. In fact, the students had never brought their swords but rather they had taken illusions Merik had set up to keep the lesson a secret until now. As for when he had taken their swords he would never say. "Take to the skies, my students. Let your dragon be your eyes and you shall find this task easier than it seems to be."

~~~~~~~~~~~​

'Almost at the tree.' Risit thought to himself, looking over once more to watch the new Rider and dragon follow behind. He mentally nudged Vanilor to get the dragon to slow down as to close the distance with the other two. "What are your names?" Risit called out to Airi and Jerrod aloud. "I can't call you both Rider and dragon all the time, now can I?" Vanilor began to circle around the gigantic tree very slowly as he began to descend. "This is Vanilor and I am Risit."

6. Garxena Hollow Bastion Committee

Lyrth started at the sudden disappearance of his sword. "Wh-wha...?" He looked to Merik and his jaw dropped. He was nervous; he still was no good at riding, even with a saddle, and he and Styrke had yet to fully understand each other, let alone do any kind of linking of anything. While Lyrth worried his little head off, Styrke stood and shook himself, stretching his still-growing wings. He was small enough that he didn't disturb anyone else in the clearing.
    "Let's go!!" The young dragon cheered to his rider. "Hop on! We'll get your sword back before anyone else gets theirs! Hurry up! Why are you just standing there like an idiot? Lyrth! C'mon!"

7. flowergothic Twilight Town Denizen

"My name is Airi Omorma, and this is Jerrod." Airi replied, "Nice to meet you Risit and Vanilor."
    She and Jerrod descended the same speed as them.
    "Can't wait to meet the Order's leader."
    "Finally, a chance to have a break."
    "Lucky for you Jerrod."

8. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Evarinya nodded; she knew Eragon did not need to speak any further, and neither did she. Mizuiro and she both shared his grief at the loss of fellow Riders, and all she felt like doing right now was going on a long, leisurely flight with her dragon to clear and settle both of their minds. This was an exercise they shared regularly, whether they were troubled or not. Evarinya bowed to Eragon silently and was strapped in Mizuiro's saddle within moments. The dragon took off very slowly, as if she were conscious of the amount of movement, wind, and commotion that occurred when a larger, older dragon took flight.

They circled over the meeting place a few times before Mizuiro started heading west. Alageasia was home to neither of them anymore, but they both still held memories of the land that seemed another world away now.

You are restless, Mizuiro began. Evarinya could hear the concern and slight frustration in the soft tone of her dragon. She nodded even though the physical gesture wasn't needed. Tell me, dear... what is wrong? You usually handle all situations with ease and logical kindness.

I will be fine, don't worry, she responded, feeling a little guilty for making Mizuiro upset. I am just surprised, that's all.

Mizuiro remained silent for a full minute, and Evarinya could feel the dragon poking at her mind, sorting through her emotions, trying desperately to understand what her Rider was feeling. Tell me, then, Mizuiro began, why does it feel as if you want me to fly directly to Alagaesia and hunt down the culprit of these unforgivable crimes mercilessly? That is not who you are, Eva.

I know, Evarinya sighed, unable to stop from smiling at her dragon's intuition. As I said before, Eragon is right. We will wait till the information is gathered properly. Though... she paused, trying to calm herself further. I do hope with all my heart we can resolve this quickly before anything else goes horribly wrong.

She could feel Mizuiro's wordless, strong agreement.

-------------------

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Eira blinked for a moment, her hand going over her shoulder immediately when she felt the weight of her bow vanish from her back. She ground her teeth for a moment in frustration (both at not having her weapon and being the only one not looking to an empty scabbard at their hip). Amaterasu growled next to her, but she put a hand on his side, calming him.

What kind of childish trick is this? he snapped angrily. Could Merik think of nothing better than a hide-and-seek trial? How juvenile...

I've never flown through your eyes, Ama, Eira thought back quickly, this her obvious concern in the lesson. I know the word in the ancient language, but we've never tried it.

Ha, Amaterasu laughed, rolling his eyes. Simple. How hard can it be? Get on and let's go before one of these... hatchlings gets ahead of us.

Right! Eira agreed, jumping up onto Amaterasu's back. In her rush, she only buckled half of the straps keeping her legs held down. She looked down at her fellow students for a moment, nodded respectfully in Merik's direction, and then took off in a flurry of wind. Amaterasu let out a harsh, deep roar, making sure his voice resonated around the training camp for all to hear. Eira knew that, despite his mere five years of age, Amaterasu felt as if he were five hundred. His arrogance boosted the courage in herself, but she knew she was the one that had to keep them logical and in-check... otherwise she had no idea what would happen.

Amaterasu swung north of the training area, not flying very high at the moment. Eira sighed; she knew there was no other way to possibly find her bow without linking her eyesight with her dragons. Ready? she asked.

Of course, he replied swiftly. She could feel the excitement practically emanating from him.

Okay, then, Eira thought, mostly to herself. "Skulblakas!" she shouted, loud enough to hear herself above the wind, and gasped: her vision quickly changed in a flurry of colors. Amaterasu grunted when the connection was made, and Eira had to catch her breath. Was this really what her dragon saw constantly? Everything was so crisp and colorful; looking down at the ground below them, she could discern every shade of green in the foliage, every living creature that roamed the land... yet their connection kept wavering, and Eira found her vision blurring and sharpening, as if she were looking through a thick piece of glass. She shook her head, ignoring the feeling, trying her best to look for any sign of her weapon.

9. Aura Goddess

Joan crossed her arms as she watched the rest of the students make their way towards Merik and her. She tapped the tip of her foot against the ground lightly as she listened to their teacher begin the day. She was hoping whatever he had in mind was something that wouldn't be a waste of a time. Then again, she never really did think that the lessons were a waste of a time. Breathing in deeply, Joan quickly looked down at her hip and saw her sword disappear right before her eyes. She cocked her head as her eyebrow perked up, looking up at Merik, to the rest of the students, to her dragon then back at Merik.

Orchid quickly moved closer towards her rider, who was already in a hurry to find her sword. Lets see what we can do, alright? With her rider's words, Orchid nodded her head and quickly swooped up into the air as Joan strapped herself onto her dragon. Once they were high enough, Orchid flew in the opposite direction of Eira as Joan looked down below them, seeing just how high they were. "So I just have to find my sword and we're done? Sounds easy enough."

Though it just might not be that simple.
    Orchid retorted, looking over towards Joan who was busy looking around. Huffing out, Orchid quickly swooped down towards the ground to get Joan's attention, who had quickly began smacking her hand against the dragon's back. "Alright! Lets hurry up and do this! Now go higher!" Obeying her words, Orchid made her way back up into the air and stared ahead of her as Joan slowly closed her eyes. She kept her hands against the dragon's neck, slowly breathing in deeply. Before she knew it, her eyesight completely changed and was staring at whatever was ahead of them. A small smile crossed her lips as Orchid's eyes scanned the areas they passed in search of Loivissa.

10. Bushy "Don't think. Imagine!"

[​IMG]

They'll have started by now. Rubei reminded Elysia.
    Oh well... Elysia muttered in her mental communication as she swam over to Rubei and placed her hand on the side of the Red Dragon's neck and rested her head against Rubei's head as she closed her eyes, the young dragon mimicking the eye closing action. A water drop from Elysia's wet hair fell and glistened on the red dragon's scales as it began it's descent with the aid of gravity, eventually dripping off the dragon's nose. I just...
    You do belong, little one.
    Again with the 'little one' comment? she smirked which in return Rubei gave her a smirk... well, she would have been smirking back anyway.
    I may be young, but you and I are bonded. I believe I know you better than anyone else.
    I'm not doubting you there.
    And you know myself better than anyone else.
    Elysia's smile turned warm, despite the cold freshness of the spring water against her skin. Of course. she opened her eyes briefly and glanced at the mark on her hand, her 'gedwëy ignasia'. Shining as bright as ever, glistening along with the reflection of the smooth water that had taken on a redish hue from the light glancing off the red dragon's scales.
    You have a big heart, that is what counts. Not your blood or your nature. You are you. A Dragon Rider.
    And you are you. My Dragon. Elysia giggled both out loud and in her mind at this.
    Yes, little one. I am. a hint of pride was in the dragon's voice, but more so in the overwhelming feelings that the two shared with each other.
    Elysia let herself go and descend backwards so she was letting herself float on the water, her face aimed skyward as she drifted along the surface peacefully.
    By the way, I notice that your sword is-
    I know. I do wonder when he did that.
    What are you going to do?
    Just leave it... It's only a random sword. It's probably a part of the lesson he's planned.
    Which we are meant to take part in. she reminded again.
    Maybe... but for now... let's just stay like this.
    The dragon made a gentle humming noise. Yes. Let's.

11. Arch Mana Knight

'Looks like Evarinya was already here.' Risit thought to himself as he watched her and Mizuiro fly off just moments earlier. He would have extended his mind to contact her but he let it be, leaving the curiosity sit. He watched as Vanilor's shimmering white wings folded in as he landed, making the tree shake as his weight settled in the large opening. Risit's dragon took another step inside to leave room for Jerrod and Airi to land. "Greetings, Eragon." Risit called out unformally, leaping off Vanilor's large saddle to land on his forepaw before taking another leap to the ground. Jumping off of Vanilor's saddle directly to the ground would have been to great a height even for himself as any elf would have had their legs broken from the fall. "I brought a newcomer. Rider Airia and dragon Jerrod."

Eragon smiled at the mention of a new Rider and dragon. Even in these dark times it brought him joy to know that there were still Riders that would come join their order. "This is good, Risit-Vor. Though I would wish to speak with you afterward about your recent disappearance."

We do not wish to explain our absence just yet, Eragon. Vanilor spoke, sounding somewhat indifferent. The mighty dragon laid down, his tail partially hanging off the edge of the trunk.

"Then there is another matter I must discuss. First things first though." Eragon looked up at the pair still flying out of the tree. "I should greet our two newest members."

OOC: Sorry for any confusion of colors here. The forum is having some problems right now and is canceling out colors whenever I use the "bold" feature.

12. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Eira quickly noticed that the the shades of brown around and below her were much more distinct than any other colors. She wondered why this was the case... did all dragons function this way with their vision?

Because of my color, Eira, Amaterasu said suddenly. He sounded slightly uncomfortable, as if the saddle wasn't fitting correctly on him, or he was thinking of something unpleasant that Eira knew nothing about. It's alright, Amaterasu added suddenly, already able to tell Eira was concerned about him. It's nothing; just focus on your bow. We will complete this task first and return to Merik before the other students. Besides, he added with even more pride than usual, Your bow is a lovely shade of brown. Fate has coordinated this day perfectly for you. I will help you look.

Eira nodded, continuing to look down and around her. She focused on the types of brown she could see instead of everything else, but she had no luck so far. Furthermore, she was worried about what was bothering Amaterasu; he was hiding something, something that was making him uncomfortable and distant from her. He could obviously read her mind as well as usual, but she couldn't read him much at all right now. His attitude was still the same, just as confident as ever, but... was it because of their combined vision? Were they not as... bonded as she assumed? Was her performance lessened now because she wasn't seeing as well as she potentially could? That frustrated Eira; if she could be better, she sure as hell would be. No matter what.

13. flowergothic Twilight Town Denizen

"Hello Eragon." Airi said, "I am pleased to become one of your Dragon Riders."
    But Airi also wondered, What was a Dragon Rider?

14. Aura Goddess

Orchid quickly made her way through trees and open fields as Joan looked for her sword. She opened her eyes and bit down on her lip as her dragon returned to the altitude they were in when they first started. "Nothing," Joan muttered under her breath as she turned to look behind her. She couldn't see any of the other riders and dragons. She wasn't sure where they were looking but she was sure she didn't want to be the last or even second person to find their weapon. Just relax. Worry more about finding Loivissa than beating everyone else. Orchid said, looking over towards Joan, who was nodding her head in response. "Yeah. Lets keep looking."

Orchid quickly took off once more as Joan closed her eyes, lowering her head slightly as she concentrated once more. Soon enough, her vision changed again and she continued looking through the areas the two passed. Joan lightly pressed her hands against Orchid's back, shifting a little in her seat. "I think I found it!" Joan exclaimed, opening her eyes and pointing down in an area filled with trees. "Go there!" Orchid quickly lowered down in an open field big enough for her to fit. She folded her wings and lowered herself a little as Joan moved the straps off of her. Without waiting, she quickly took off into an area filled with trees. Coming to a halt, Joan looked around her, seeing it was a lot harder to see with her eyes. Cursing under her breath, she bit down lightly on her lip as she took a couple steps forward, looking to see if she can spot her sword. I know you're here somewhere.

15. Arch Mana Knight

"I'm sorry but I must cut this welcome short. I will call an instructor to come and help you settle into your new surroundings. Risit, must stay here for a moment." Eragon spoke calmly, glancing over at the elder standing in front of him.

With almost no warning a large dragon blotted out the light coming through the hole of the tree with its wings. It was Randen and Merik. "I heard your call, Master Eragon." He looked over at the new pair. "Come. Follow me. I am Merik and this is Randen." His dragon said nothing to greet the two. "Don't mind Randen, He's always this quiet. You two can rest not far from here. I'm sure your journey has exhausted you both." Merik motioned for Airi and Jerrod to follow as he took off back to where he had dismissed his students.

16. flowergothic Twilight Town Denizen

"Again?"
    "Yes, Jerrod." Airi followed Merik and Randen.
    Jerrod was a bit suspicious, not about the things he and his companion saw and met during the time around here, but about what's to come of them if someone they met was a traitor.
    But since Airi trusted the people they're following, Jerrod had no choice to accept the fact that the chance of there being a traitor was 34-66. (34% yes, 66% no)

17. Arch Mana Knight

OOC: Semi-filler post, GO!

BIC:

When Randen landed Merik got off the dragon with a single leap and looked towards Airi and Jerrod. He opened his arms and gestured towards the clearing they were in. "You may rest here. There's a few apple trees scattered around here that you may find to your liking. As for Jerrod..." He looked at the dragon. Dragons did not eat any greens. They only ate meat. "Giant snails, a dragon's favorite delicacy, are only a short distance west of here. If you wish to eat, do not wander too far as some may be bigger than yourself." Merik spoke to the dragon. "I will answer any question either of you have once you are ready."

~~~~~~~~~~~​

"You cannot continue to leave without notice, Risit."

"And why is that? I'm an elder aren't I? I have a duty to our order. My absence here is a must if I am to make any progress. Besides, while at our old home I found something quite interesting..." Risit smirked. "I can't tell you anything just yet though."

Eragon frowned, his eyes showing deep concern. "I must remind you that if anything happens to me, it will be your duty to take charge of the order. You cannot afford to act so suspiciously."

"You say that but you've yet to tell anyone but me that I'm next in line." Risit spoke lowly, his eyes fixed on his master.

Eragon! Cuaroc, Blödhgarm, and most of the teachers have vanished!

Eragon bit his tongue, having caught himself before he could tell Risit anything more as Saphira's voice broke through. A shiver ran down his spine. He gripped Brisingr and drew it. 'And what of their dragons!?'

They too have disappeared! I cannot sense any of them! Saphira's voice called out in panic.

Risit then drew his sword, Islingr.

18. flowergothic Twilight Town Denizen

Airi got off of Jerrod and walked to one of the trees.
    "Why the apples?"
    "I didn't eat before we came." Airi replied quickly while picking an apple off a branch, "You hungry?"
    "No." Jerrod shook his head, even though he was interested about the snails.
    "Any other questions you need to ask?"
    "No..."

19. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Eira growled under her breath, frustrated. The entire area of Edoc'sil was a very large place, and finding such a small piece of wood like her weapon seemed nearly impossible to her. Hell, if she had a regular blade like the other Riders, it would still be extremely difficult to find. Even with the help of Amaterasu's eyesight, she was starting to lose hope.

You realize the point of the exercise is us becoming closer, right? Amaterasu began suddenly, surprising Eira as they flew. It's pretty simple; Merik wants to see how well we... know each other, no matter how long it's been between each individual Rider and dragon.

Maybe, Eira replied. I just don't understand; shouldn't we be sparring or working with Mistress Evarinya if it's mental exercise we need?

Without responding, Amaterasu suddenly banked hard to the left, making Eira tighten the muscles in her thighs, gripping the front of the saddle. Her dragon swung down now, at a severe angle, toward a large group of trees that Eira did not recognize. Had they really been flying that far? And, more importantly, what was making him choose to land without warning her or telling her why?

"Ama!" Eira shouted, forgetting completely to speak with her mind. "What the hell are you doing? Do you see something?"

Amaterasu did not respond, though; he flapped his wings at full-span, swirling the air around them as he neared the ground, crushing several small trees underneath his bulk. Eira lowered her head, holding onto the saddle with one hand and most of her long hair in the other. When the wind finally settled down and Amaterasu was settled in place on the forest floor, she finally opened her eyes. Instinctively, Eira reached toward her shoulder blades, ready to grab her bow and string an arrow, but--- nothing. She cursed, looking down at the daggers on her belt that she rarely used; whenever her bow was gone, all she had were the small blades for close-combat that she was only an amateur at using. Eira glared at the back of Amaterasu's head, but didn't say anything.

He's usually not like this, she thought to herself, confused. Yes, he's arrogant and wants to win, just so he can protect me... I know that. I've known that about him since the first moment I touched him five years ago... but... why is he so moody? Is it the new Riders? Or... what? Eira sighed; the worst part was she had no idea how to talk to him about it.

20. Aura Goddess

Joan quickly rushed through several bushes and plants, searching for her sword. Cursing under her breath, she sat down on a fallen branch and sighed out loudly, hanging her head forward as she closed her eyes. "Where is it?" Rubbing the back of her neck, she raised her head and looked around the area she was in. She was too busy worrying about her sword she had already forgotten what direction she had came from. Great. Joan slowly rose up to her feet and turned around, climbing over the branch she was sitting on and started walking forward, looking up to see the large trees practically covered the sky; barely any sunlight came in.

Looking ahead of her, Joan stretched her arms over her head and winced slightly as something suddenly shined on her face. "What the..." She rubbed her eyes and looked towards the direction it came from, seeing something glimmering not too far away. She perked an eyebrow and took a couple steps forward, quickly realize the object was in the shape of a sword. A smile quickly formed on her lips as she ran forward, seeing it was Loivissa. "There you are!" she said, quickly picking it up and sheathing it. "Now to get out of here." She looked around and crossed her arms, turning in the direction she assumed she had come from. She didn't want to go deeper into the forest seeing as how she needed to head back to Merik and the others. Lowering her arms down to her sides, she quickly ran forward, hoping she was going in the right direction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.