KHV The Musical - Phase One: Plotting

Discussion in 'KHV Musical' started by Plums, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plums Wakanda Forever

KH-Vids: The Musical
    MAIN THREAD (x)

What Is This? ⬊

The KHV Musical is a site-wide collaboration that will be worked on over the course of the next year. The project will bring together various creative sections of KH-Vids and will ultimately result in an actual musical that will be released to the public September 2013. The musical will feature original artwork, original music and lyrics and an original screenplay. It will be showcasing the various voice talents of our very own KH-Vids members, and there will be auditions held for parts starting in May!

The musical will be compiled in the Visual Novel software Ren'Py, and there will also be a watchable Youtube version, and perhaps a Livestream of the play-through at some point. The estimated run time is 45 minutes to an hour, or so, but there is not fixed time.

Timeline ⬊

Late September - October: Characters, Setting, Story/Plot
    November - December: Screenplay, Logo
    January - February: Concept and Character Art.
    March - April: Music & Lyrics
    May: Casting
    June: Audio Production //Singing
    July - August: Production

Phase 1:⬊

As seen from the above Timeline, this thread is dedicated to the Plotting of the Musical. In this thread, you may present any ideas that you have, whether it be related to which characters are where, what the story will be about, what kinds of conflict you want to develop -- all that fun stuff.

While we are encouraging a broad spectrum of ideas, I must urge that you work within the realm of reason. Unfortunately, ideas to the scale of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann may not be the best type of narrative for a musical, much less one that can fit within the deadline for plotting.

Furthermore, if you do wish to join the plotting, you must be sure you can maintain a consistent presence throughout this process. Jayn and I will be hunting you down if you begin to flake out (without good reason). We understand that school and real life definitely take priority, but for a project like this to get done, you need to try to at least put in as much a consistent effort as possible. Worse comes to worse, Jayn and I will finish writing the script ourselves, which is something both of us want to avoid lmao.

When we have a few solid ideas, they will all be put into a poll thread where you, the members, will select the one you think would be best.

Other than that, you may feel free to let your ideas . If you have any questions, please ask Plums and/or Jayn and we will gladly assist.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you see a plot you like in this thread PLEASE 'LIKE' THE POST.

2. jafar custom title

I'd like to join in on plotting.

3. Jayn

I have a lot of ideas (kind of), but my main question is if we'll be going with KHV members or original characters for the RP. I think any could work.

With original characters though, I'm concerned with it being too time consuming to think up a completely original cast. With KHV members being the main characters, I'm concerned with having to decide which members to put in to the main cast/what roles they'd play.

I'd personally prefer KHV-members because that makes the most sense, since it's the KHV musical. v:

4. shortstuffins Moogle Assistant

(Pre-Russian Revolution) Story is about the group of soldiers forced to fire on the civilians/workers on Bloody Sunday, and what happened after, with the story culminating at the abdication of Nicholas II of Russia.
    or...
    Story about a crime syndacite and financial syndacite getting involved in each others affairs in order to become the top syndacite in the country.
    or...
    A fluffy comedy about a location scout that gets trapped inside an enchanted classic japanese manor; she discovers the manor and its inhabitants have been frozen in time (Sengoku period) due to a vassal with magic powers and a "hell hath no fury..." attitude; her "roommates" are the lord and lady, their 3 sons (one of whom is her love interest), and 2 daughters; story basically entails them having to try and get along, learning and coming to respect each others cultures and time periods, and learning to break the curse.[DOUBLEPOST=1348727935][/DOUBLEPOST]
    By the way, I'd like to join the plotting[DOUBLEPOST=1348727990][/DOUBLEPOST]Maybe I should have started with that lol[DOUBLEPOST=1348728202][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I know you're not quite there yet, but I am a composer/lyricist so I would be more than willing to compile a couple instrumental charts, when you get there. Just hit me up :D

5. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

I've wanted to write a (dark) comedy about people dealing with depression for a while (and not a "ha-ha, look at those wrist slitters"-kinda comedy, something more along with people using humor to cope) but I know I won't have the patience or self restraint to write it on my own. And I know I can't be the only person on the site who is battling/has battled depression, so we'll definitely have some realistic perspective into the issue.

In my head I had it based in a college and the cast included students and teachers, so maybe there could be some kind of a "KHV University/Boarding School," that the characters are attending?

I do like the idea of characters being based on us members, but could cause some problems. Say we write a character specifically for, say, DPWolf, and she for whatever reason isn't capable of doing the voice acting and singing for the part, and we have to settle for someone else. I'm not saying that that person wouldn't do a good job, but it would be kinda weird to hear someone like me playing Wolfie.

I've got a teensy bit of experience in song writing, so I can possible help with lyrics, melodies and harmonies. I'm not too good at composing, though, so I'd probably be useless there...

6. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Twisting like a flame in a slow dance, baby.
    Would the cast be purely a "if you're giving your voice, you'll be singing aswell" sort of deal or will there be non singing roles also? I'd never sing but in the terms of lending my voice I don't think it's such a bad idea.

7. Jayn

Questioned answered here: http://kh-vids.net/threads/the-kh-vids-musical.133381/

In addition to that, I'm sure there will be just solely non-singing roles.

8. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Well then goodie, I'm an awful singer so there's no point in me trying, but I'm told my voice is quite nice, so I could help there.

How much of the plot is actually already plotted? Are you here asking people to write you the screenplay if they can, or do you have a general idea and you're wishing for just some input on it and y'know maybe a change here or there? I'd like to help an already thought up plot, but in terms of designing a musical myself I'd be rather hopeless I'd imagine.

9. Jayn

Well, this thread specifically is for planning out the plot/storyline of the musical. This thread is the place to discuss and brainstorm ideas for the foundation of the musical. The actual screenplay writing will start in November, and by then an official plot will be finalized, but at this moment members are welcomed to present plot ideas (and comment on the ones already presented). c: We'll eventually vote on which direction to go in.

10. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Alright then, i'd be more than happy to try and help aid an already existing plotline once it's been decided upon then.

I'm thinking 1920-30's for the setting, 'cause who doesn't want a musical set then.

11. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Like others have said, this is the KHV musical, so I'd also like it to be about KHV members. And since we don't take ourselves too seriously very often, then I'd like it to be a comedy, taking place in a world like all those KHV fics floating around (e.g. Blood of the Cascade, Be Our Guest, etc.).

With regards to what members would be in, a good place to start might be asking who would want their "character" to have some sort of role, whether it be a lead part, a minor part, or maybe even just a name drop.

12. kitty_mckechnie I want to hug you like big fuzzy Siberian bear!

A khv Bugsy Malone? xD Would we have enough pies?

13. Jiηx You're such a loser.

Jad will bake whatever we need.

Bugsy Malone is a great musical, we should totally do it.

14. Plums Wakanda Forever

To go off of this as well, IMPORTANT THREAD D33TZ RIGHT HERE:

Just want to urge y'all to make sure you continue to think and develop your ideas. With projects like these, a lot of people tend to put forward an idea that's very personal to them, and can't really be adapted for the larger audience because it's unclear to everyone except the proposer, etc.

To make the process smoother, if you see a plot that you really like and want to build on, please "Like" that post. This will be much faster than relying on a poll with 24+ options, and would also allow us to narrow down on ideas most members would like to develop.

From there, the ideas with the most "Likes" (support, backup, etc.) will be put in a poll, and then we can choose the one we're using for the entire project from there. Essentially it'll be a two tiered voting system, rather than relying on one with a whole bunch of things everywhere.

Jayn and I haven't set a date to that yet, but we'll let you know as soon as we do. <:

15. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

Just going to throw a little idea out there. Since this is the KHV Musical, I think that it should be based around ourselves. So what if we were to write a story about a member who has just joined the site and being taken around the sections of the forum, where people apparently break out into song, and he gets to know the culture of KHV. The songs could be about certain sections, members and/or memes of the forum. The story will end with the new member thinking we're all crazy and running far far aw-*shot*.

16. FuzzyBlueLights Traverse Town Homebody

I'd love to join this sector of the Musical. And I do believe we should use KHV members as cast members. Simply because it seems to me that if we do it right, it'll get done much faster then coming up with Original Characters.

My only idea is a world set a bit into the future. Where the Kingdom Hearts series has finally stopped without their ever being a conclusion. One fan(member) goes crazy. Insert wild adventure I've yet to think up where this fan tries to find a time machine just to talk too Tetsuya Nomura and convince him to make an ending(lol kh3). All through the power of love, dedication, obsession, and song.

Just snowballing here. Though I do like Janson's idea. Something serious here would be nice, I think.

17. Llave Superless Moderator

To add to this, I made a parody song of Be A Man from Mulan about post whoring. We could integrate such songs, as I know a few others have made their own variations of different songs.

However, If this is a musical, and it's about us, part of me feels as though it would be a complete pleasure project in that case. If someone watches it on youtube, they wouldn't be captured in as much as a made up story. Not to mention the pressure on the artists to make the versions of us as consistent and close to the real deal as possible.

Just my two cents.

18. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I know not everyone participates in them, but a good number of people do, so I thought it would be cool to have a story based around a bunch of the forum families--the DOODS, the INVSP and BAPU, Zhe Axelriffic Family, etc. Maybe they're all in some sort of turf war when Halcyon's new member shows up, and every family wants to recruit him/her to their side.

19. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Hi. I'm posting. To help. I'll be back in a few hours, and then I'll present my ideas.

Plagued with cliches.

lolololno

20. Plums Wakanda Forever

NOT ME POSTING ANY IDEAS/COMMENTING ON ANY YET, but it appears that the plot ideas are more towards having an Original Character as the protagonist and the rest of KHV being more side characters of sorts.

Would everyone be cool with that? Like GS and Jayn and a few others said, it'd be much easier than having to choose a KHV member/group of KHV members as the mains, and also wouldn't get as ridic. if the cast were completely original characters (not saying you guys aren't original *shot*), but yeah.

Everyone in favor of a Original Character as Protagonist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.