Status Help

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by Amaury, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm working on the General Projects section of my Gaming & Timeline thread right now, and I've hit a bump in the road: I can't figure out if the current way I do the status system is technically accurate or makes sense? Can general projects have an end point (that's why I don't have a "Finished" column and instead have a "Last Video" column)?

Here's how it is currently (scroll down to General Projects).

Thanks in advance.

2. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Looks fine to me Amaury, don't really see any problems with it.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

I don't know. It just doesn't make sense to me. The statuses active or inactive imply just that. If active, videos are current being uploaded; if inactive, videos or are not being uploaded.

They're all general projects. However, some are ongoing and some used to be ongoing. Everything has an end point. For example, DW4: XL is currently an ongoing project because I've yet to record all stages and also have the option to record the same stage with different characters. However, the Dragon Quest VIII boss videos that stopped on November 1, 2008 are no longer ongoing. I've recorded all the bosses in the game, including the two optional ones (Red Horn & Blue Fang and Boss Trolls), sans the after game Dragon Trial dragon bosses, so there's no more to record since I can't make up bosses. The "inactive" status, however, would imply that it's a general project that will or can become active again.

I suppose I could record the Dragon Trial stuff, but after that, what? There'll be nothing else to record.

4. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Okay so change active/inactive to something else. Like "Ongoing" and "Terminated"

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

If I'm going to be using more than two status names, I suppose I could add a legend with descriptions in the General Projects section like I did at the bottom of the post here.

6. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Hey, if that works it works. I just don't see a problem at all. Unless you get one of those nitpicky people to look at it and be all like blah blah blah, but then again who ever listens to the nitpickers?

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Probably something like:

General Projects

*pretend there is a table here*

Legend:
    Active / Completed: If Active, videos are currently being uploaded on a regular or somewhat regular basis. If Completed, project is finished because every possible thing has been recorded (e.g., if it's a project on a game's bosses) and nothing more can be recorded.
    Inactive: If a project has gone more than one month without updates, it will be considered inactive. It will most likely become active again down the road. If not or if a project is canceled, it will be moved to the Canceled Projects section.

Those descriptions probably don't make sense, though. I mean, I know you'll say they sound fine, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to something like this. It's a project and not just a post or thread, and I want it to be / sound essentially perfect. :)

8. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

It's Fine

lol, Amaury you don't have to worry that much about it. Have you received any complaints thus far about your tables?

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, no, but I just can't explain what I'm trying to say.

I don't expect it to be completely perfect; I just want it to look like the legend in the post I linked to above, and it just doesn't have that feeling. I mean, I know they're different statuses, but still.

10. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Weeeeeeeeeeeeell! I think it's time to be hittin the old dusty trail . . . Good luck Amaury, i'm sure you can come up with something. It'll all work out. ^^

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

D=

12. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Amaury, there's no way i'm going to be able to tell you something that will give you some sort of revelation. That one spark of inspiration that's gonna give you exactly what you're looking for. It's just not gonna happen. Not . . . gonna . . . happen. On another note, why not just use the same table and legend from the one you want?

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

This isn't about OST requests, though.

Anyway, you may not be able to give the inspiration to word it just right, but you can give me opinions.

Do these give you the same feeling of looking the same?

Looking at it, I think the problem is a simple one: it has too many words -- it's too wordy.

14. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Doesn't matter though, they both get the point across. Yes the second one is worded shorter, but I don't think it matters. If people can't take the time to read the legend they won't get the tables, their problem. I like it Amaury, go with that one. You switching out "inactive" for "completed" on the one's your finished with?

15. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, descriptions are just that: descriptions. They're not meant to be long.

Anyway, it'll work like this: if I'm currently working on a project with regular or somewhat regular updates (for example, I've recently started recording DW3 and DW4: XL gameplay again), it'll be "Active." If I have nothing more to record, it'll be "Completed." If it's gone a month without uploads / updates, it will be "Inactive."

I could always delete the section and put them into Current or Completed Projects, but I want my general gameplay projects separate from my "full" projects. By full, I mean a walkthrough or let's play.

I supposed I could also always add another column to the section and put double hyphens accordingly in the table cell not in use. That might be the simplest solution instead of going with the whole legend thing.

Something like this (let's pretend today is December 28, 2012):

Game Category Started Status Last Video Finished
    Example 1 Gameplay, Bosses 10/5/2012 Active 12/19/2012 --
    Example 2 Gameplay 11/2/2012 Completed -- 12/15/2012
    Example 3 Gameplay, Missions 11/10/2012 Inactive 11/16/2012 --

16. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

This, this right here is perfect. It makes it look nice and you've solved the "inactive" issue. You're description is fine. Go with this and you'll be good ^^

17. Amaury Legendary Hero

I adjusted the dates for the inactive one. Want to fix them in your quote? What I had there didn't make sense because of the whole "it's inactive if it's been a month or more of no updates." =P

Also, yeah. I then could just write some paragraphs like I did for the timeline section, where I talk about how it works.

18. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

Fixed and yea, good brainstorming session Amaury :D

19. Amaury Legendary Hero

And if I hadn't created this thread, I never would have thought of it. :3