Your Mother Tongue

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by LARiA, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Accalia Gummi Ship Junkie

English is my mother tongue
    I also speak Spanish.
    I'm learning French now but I know bits and pieces of several languages.

2. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I speak English as my mother language, know some Spanish and use some very limited Japanese.

I wish to learn Japanese more fully for personal reasons, though others on my list range across the board according to how useful they would be.

I wanted to say that technically all languages are man-made, so the distinction for Esperanto is slightly incoherent. Oh, well...

3. Machazo Destiny Islands Resident

My mother tongue is Spanish, naturally, but I am quite fluent in English as well (in case you haven't noticed). However out of all the different dialects the argentine one changes "neutral" Spanish a lot, so if I were to speak with someone who is learning Spanish at school/whatever it'd be quite confusing for them.

I've also studied french but I don't really like speaking it even if I'm better than my other classmates...

EDIT: And I should mention the fact that since Portuguese and Italian are really similar to Spanish I can kind of understand them as well.

4. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Perhaps I should have been more clear, more specific in my wording. It is a conlang, manmade in that it was formed deliberately, consciously, and unnaturally.

5. Feenie Finny, Fin of the Feenie Fish

English is my Mother Tongue.
    I know quite a bit of French, but nowhere near enough to be considered fluent.
    I'm interested in Japanese, though I only know very few phrases and am currently trying to learn the Hiragana and Katakana alphabets, speaking of which, which is the best to learn first?

Maybe I should try learning Scottish Gaelic...though I don't think I have the patience for that.

6. Saxima [screams geometrically]

The language I know of most predominantly now is English, but when I was little, I'd just moved from Mexico, so it was Spanish.

I still know a fair bit of Spanish, a small piece of French, and then a little bit more of Italian.

7. Glen Returned from the dead

Yes, what about my mother's tongue is it that you want to know? And why would you want to know such information?

8. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

My mother tongue is Portuguese but I consider myself to be only fluent in English. Due to living in the US for most of my life, I didn't really practice my Portuguese since I was exposed to it less and it fell out of use until I had to move back to Brazil and learn it again by myself >_>;. I can speak it pretty well now and I'm able to hold up a conversation with almost anybody, only having troubles when I can't find a word that properly expresses what I'm thinking. I just don't consider myself fluent yet since I don't believe my speech is fluid enough. So I guess I'm an advanced/semi-fluent speaker? I'm weird like that. xD

I also understand Spanish fairly well since I took 3 years of it in school and it's so similar to Portuguese. I only have trouble understanding it when somebody speaks very fast and/or with a very thick accent. At the moment, I'm also independently learning Italian and Japanese. I'm a beginner in both at the moment though.

9. ShibuyaGato Transformation

This might actually be better suited to discussion, as it is quite a serious matter.

Anyway, my mother tongue(s) are English and Spanish, though I am far more fluent in English. I grew up in a bilingual household, so from an early age, I was forced to learn Spanish, even if it was quite broken. I know the basics, but English is still predominantly my best language.

10. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

My mother tongue is French.
    Picked up English as a kid when I visited my American cousins and started watching english cartoons/movies.
    I'm also pretty fluent in Arabic because part of my family is from the ME, and also had extra classes of it in school (Most people here would choose German or Spanish, I chose something I would actually excel in and not forget)
    So I pretty much had three languages to talk in while I was growing up. Although being fluent in multiple languages can get very confusing (For yourself and other people >_>).

Which language am I the most fluent in? French obviously, but the other two come pretty close too.

11. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Like a programming language. Fair enough.

I believe she did not post it in Discussion because it would not get as many replies there. Is that right, Lili?

12. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Fair enough.

13. C This silence is mine

My motherlanguage would be Norwegian, I am fluent in English, I can understand Swedish and Danish (and pretend to speak it), and I can pretend I know Spanish and French. Even though I only know a couple of culinary expressions in French.

I really don't want to learn any other languages, at times I do start blending the languanges into one big mess at times, and learning more languages would probably make that even worse.

14. Patman Bof

My mother tongue is French and I' m fluent in English. I learned Spanish at school, but I didn' t cultivate it ever since so I mostly understand it. I also understand other latin-based languages a little, such as Italian or Catalan.

I remember posting in a thread about stereotypes in video-games, a Spaniard member posted detailed explanations about the hilarious depiction of Spaniards in Resident Evil 4. Apparently there was quite a number of details in the ganados' speech that indicated they were closer to South Americans than Spaniards, yet neither really one nor the other. For instance there is this one detail that I could have picked up by myself but didn' t : every ganado address other ganados as usted/ustedes, which would be quite silly in Spanish. Unless of course las plagas are just awkwardly polite parasites ... ^^

15. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

My mother tongue is Arabic. I am also fluent in English. I'm interested in learning French and Japanese.

16. Machazo Destiny Islands Resident

Oh my god yes, I wasn't the one who posted that but I've played RE4. Their spanish is as broken as Meta knight in Smash bros. Brawl.

17. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I speak fluent pirate and upside down language.

˙dn ʎɐʍ ƃuoɹʍ ǝɥʇ uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ oʇ ǝʌɐɥ ʇou puɐ uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ǝdoɥ I 'os ǝʞı˥

18. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

How ingenious. Where did you generate it?

19. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I speak English and I am fluent in Gibberish and Mouthful

I also dabble in Babyspeak

20. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

I did not incorporate tact into the equation, but sure, that is sound reasoning. I tend to prefer the spam zone's intemperate atmosphere, over that musty old discussion zone-- the downside is that the majority of my posts, even if given serious thought, are not counted.

Addressing me by my first name publicly in every post addressed towards me. You should watch it, you might come off as unintentionally intimidating.

Flip your text here.

Doesn't everyone.