Your Mother Tongue

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by LARiA, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Llave Superless Moderator

And the sexiest Daimyo-sounding Engrish.

2. Misty gimme kiss

My native language is (American) English. I took Spanish for... like four and a half years but I really don't remember any of it.

I would really like to learn Latin though. :L

3. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

˙uʍop ǝpısdn uı ʞɐǝds uɐɔ I ǝʞıl ǝʇıɹʍ ʇsnɾ uɐɔ I lɐɔıƃɐɯ os ɯɐ I

4. ShibuyaGato Transformation

¡ɐʞɐʎooq

˙ɥɔʇıɥ ɐ ʇnoɥʇıʍ ʇɐɥʇ pɐǝɹ ı ˙uʍop ǝpısdn ʞɐǝds oʇ pɹɐɥ ʇɐɥʇ ʇou s,ʇı

5. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

If they did, I wouldn't get this every time:

"...Are... Are you talking to the baby?"

Oh yes Jesus Christ how could I forget

AI AMU BERI FURUENTO IN INGURISHU

PURIZU BURINGA KARU ROUNDUH. [/claw dying of laughter]

6. Rapid Ignis Destiny Islands Resident

I'm fluent in English (duh... I've been speaking it since I was two... XD)
    I'm okay in French, I'm taking it in school, and know enough to order off menus or have short conversations, but I wouldn't be able to RP in it :P

I'd like to learn Japaneese at some point, but that is probably years away.

7. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

I thought it would bother you more if I used your username. Not anymore?

Thank you for the link.

8. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

So...

I am only fluent in English. Meaning I am in the minority of people who aren't bilingual, who instead number more in the world then monolingual.

However, I have some minor skill in speaking very basic Mandarin Chinese, purely because: Wo Ai Zhong Guo Hua Lishi!
    And by reading translated classics and learning their philosophy, their culture, their art, their way of life, their history, etc of all the middle Kingdom I just get so involved that I want to learn the language. I having a reading age not worthy of note but a verbal language of maybe a two or three year old. It's been a while since I've learnt any of it, and I really must be back into it, but yeah I'd develop that more if I was to choose.

Plus they'll be invading soon.

Also some languages I wish to learn more of:
    Italian (Have some Italian in me, why not learn a bit, hey?)
    Norwegian (I'd love to visit, it's quite a gutteral language comapred to English, but ah what the hell)

9. Daxa~ #stalker

My mother tongue is English.
    I can speak Irish decently enough,and can at least pass a conversation without messing up too bad in French.
    Not fluent in either though.

As for languages I would like to learn...
    Japenese and Italian I think.
    Lovely lovely <3

10. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Linguistics thread allons-y!

My fluency is relatively restricted to English, and I am at least quite happy that I know that mish-mashed chanpuru well enough I suppose.

In terms of other languages, I have a relatively intermediate knowledge of French and the selection of languages that comprise Hindi/Urdu/some Punjabi due to my specific background. It offers a rather diverse range from which to blast off towards other languages due to this amusing balance of SOV-SVO. Besides this however, I am sadly quite monolingual at the moment.

My knowledge of other languages delves into the bits and pieces. I know at least a few words from each major Romance language, including Romanian (which is a rather funky tongue considering how close it is to Latin and the Slavic influence), along with at least one to a good handful of words from each of Polish, Czech, Serbo-Croatian (yes, apparently they are the same language, the distinction is simply the alphabet utilised), Russian, Irish, Greek, German, Dutch (Afrikaans would be more appropriate actually), Hungarian, Finnish, a few of the Nordic languages, Arabic, Japanese, Korean, Cantonese, Mandarin, Indonesian, Swahili, and some other sorts of languages I cannot recall at the moment. Though one must keep in mind that in this extremely large list of languages I would probably not be able to hold the simplest conversation and these would be more linguistic knowledge of certain vocabulary. Out of all of these, I am, at the least, relatively familiar with one or more of the following things, depending on which language they are:
    a. The basic grammar, or bits and pieces of it, especially word construction
    b. Alphabetic/written script construction (for example, Arabic is an abjad)
    c. Their linguistic origins and relations

I am able to write and read Russian Cyrillic, Korean Hangeul, and to a lesser extent Greek in a relatively alright manner. I hold some basic knowledge of Hiragana and Katakana, and an even more basic knowledge of kanji/hanzi/et cetera. I find this completely amusing for two reasons: one, I am fluent in none of these languages and at best could use them only to pick out words for now (which may hopefully change), and two, I know these writing systems and yet am barely aware of my own Hindu Brahmic-based one! Goodness I am a testament to silliness.

At times, I am actually quite prone to inserting random foreign language words into my speech or typing. For example, the Indonesian word "bahasa", meaning language, has combined with the English onomatopoeic expression of discontent "bah" to gain the English usage/meaning whilst expressing the Indonesian word, which adds a layer of punnery since "language" is a euphemism in English itself for explicit cursing, and bahasa acts as a euphemism on that level. Metalinguistics.

Out of all of this, however, I am still sadly monolingual.

Though I seem to know how to say "I love you" in more than five languages or so.

My interest in linguistics, however, is extremely vast and extensive, and I am more prone to knowing the mechanics and details of language structure and language relation than how to speak them per se.

For example,

If my recollection is correct, these two languages can quite honestly be two of the hardest due to their grammar if I recall correctly. Namely, Finnish, as was probably said before, is not in fact Nordic but is part of the Finno-Ugric family, related closely to Hungarian, Estonian, and a random collection of languages by the Urals. Its construction is nothing exactly like the Nordic Germanic languages that it neighbours, and would be a bit more of a challenge for an English speaker to pick up easily. Russian grammar is also known to be rather complicated. To give an example, if I recall correctly, Russian has six noun cases and Finnish has even more than that.

But despite this I love the Finnish word for "love" and its associate inflections, especially in "I love you", because it reminds me of the name of a Star Wars planet.

"Rakastan sinua."

11. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Woo, a heartily lengthy reply. I am well aware it is radically different, wrote Finnish down thoughtlessly, should have put more thought into my choices. Finnish has nine? If I recall correctly. *checking* how off I was, fourteen or fifteen actually. Czech had nine, that's it. *checks* no, Czech has seven. I am very off.

I like to call your light dabbling language flirting.

Iche liebe dich.
    Je t'aime
    Ti amo.
    Te quiero.
    Daisuki da yo.
    Те сакам.
    I love you.

That's all I got.
    Not entirely sure about my Japanese.

I would type more but, even speaking of languages energises me, inspires, I need to get off now and study. Procrastinate no more. Getting off. Now.

'm having difficulty typing cyrillic on this keyboard. Uncertain if te cakam came out right. Oh, well.

12. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Jeg elsker deg <- I love you in Norwegian
    Jeg er glad i deg <- I love you in Norwegian, but more of something you'd say to your friends. "Jeg Elsker deg" is more like what you feel for your family/the one you'll be marrying.

13. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

You've gone and done it. This is now a thread dedicated to l'amour, and we shall proceed to share our love in an affectionate manner via our many languages.

I didn't get off. Gott, I will... soon, soon...

Я тебя люблю.

I struggle to pronounce, some of these are foreign; Macedonian has a shortened alphabet, it appears. The backwards R is a yah, I think. The... after the l, лю, ю, ni idea what that character is.
    ITT - RUSSIA CAN'T PRONOUNCE RUSSIAN

14. Fearless A good and beautiful child

Oh, oh, I can translate it into Danish!

Jeg elsker deg --> Jeg elsker dig

The only reason I know this is because Hetalia.

It's okay.
    Norway can barely pronounce Norwegian.

15. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Less talk, more love.

Mi amas vin.

16. Llave Superless Moderator

Tengo amor para ti.

O te amo.

17. Yozora Archer

Im not late for the party.

First Language: Spanish

Im fluent in both Spanish and English.

Interested in:
    French (watching some teaching vids in Youtube)
    Italian

18. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

Mother Language
    English

Second Language
    Spanish
    Italian (extremely limited)

Wanna know
    French
    Russian
    Latin (I know it's a dead language but I MUST learn it)

19. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

Poem by Herman Wildenvey

Spør ikke om kjærlighet varer
    Det vet du den ikke gjør,
    hvem du enn er som spør,
    og hvad du enn svarer.

Spør heller om kjærlighet kommer
    med vårens svale,
    som dømmer sin egen sommer
    til høst og dvale.

Spør ikke forelskede sjele!
    Etter en vår
    og sommer skal
    høsten stryke det hele,
    tung og hård
    og kald...

Spør ikke hvad kjærlighet lover.
    En vinter lang
    kan hende den sover
    i en sang.

This is rather old Norwegian, but I translated it, regardless

Do not ask if love lasts
    You know it doesn’t
    Regardless of who are asking
    And whatever you may answer

Rather, ask if love will come
    with the springs swallow
    which dreams its own summer
    to fall and hibernation

Ask not the soul of the ones in love (More accurate: Don’t ask the soul of the ones in love)
    After a spring
    and summer shall
    Fall remove it all (cancel may be a better word than remove)
    heavy and hard
    and cold…

Ask not what love promises
    A winter, long
    Possibly the one who sleeps
    In a song​

20. Haseo Knight of Light

Mother Tongue
    English

Know
    Latin
    Spanish (what I can remember from 1st-6th grade, i.e. not much)

Want to Know
    Japanese
    German