A Form of Depression?

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Amaury, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Okay, I've never dealt with depression, so I don't know what it feels like, so I don't know if I'm depressed or just feel down sometimes.

When I let my mind wander, I will sometimes think about high school, and it just saddens me, I guess. I miss going to school, I miss my teachers, and, most importantly, I miss all the great friends I made -- from those who graduated last year to those who are still in school and are sophomores, juniors, or seniors this year. I've got a lot of them on Facebook, but it's just not the same.

I sometimes visit my Spanish teacher's -- whom I had for 3rd Year Spanish last year -- 4th Year Spanish class, which has some of the students from 3rd Year Spanish, and that helps a bit.

So what do you guys think? Any advice?

2. strfruit Gummi Ship Junkie

I don't believe you have depression =)
    However, you may just have the case of nostalgia. You are longing for what you had in the past and it's making you have all these feelz.
    Perhaps a little get together may be in order. Get in touch with your high school friends. Go out for lunch or something.
    Or just shoot them a message on facebook just as a little "check up on things".
    See how they are doing in school, how's life, anything new, etc...

Time goes by fast and good times go along with it. Make some new ones with what has changed. =D
    Hope you feel less down in the dumps soon!
    I feel the same sometimes. It's been almost 2 years since I graduated now...kind of hard to believe...my goodness.
    Best wishes to you.

3. Misty gimme kiss

I think it's natural. I don't have a similar experience because I loathed high school, but it's always sad to have to move on from a time you really enjoyed. The nice thing is that, with all of our technology these days, you can still keep in touch with people, even after you all go your separate ways.

However, it's important to not dwell in the past--that can lead to depression. If you spend all your time thinking about how nice things were, you can miss a chance to stumble upon something new. The friends you made in school can and will always be special to you, but that's no reason to not try to make new friends. Oftentimes making those new friends can help you move on a little from the old friends--not forget them, but ease the pain a little. And then it's just a matter of time.

It doesn't sound like depression to me, though. Depression is far more debilitating than just that. Like strfruit says, it sounds like a case of nostalgia.

4. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

It's not depression, you're just bummed. I miss being able to hang with my friends, but I don't miss High School. You could still call some of your friends up and throw a get-together or something. It's a part of growing up. We have to move on, but we don't have to leave everyone behind us. It's definitely not depression though ^^

5. Toxicity Merlin's Housekeeper

This is far from depression, to be honest. You are just going through one of those Graduate Senior feelings. I guess you could say. I'm sorry if I am not making sense. You see, I am taking it that you are graduated, so you don't go to high school anymore and you are used to talking to just, I guess, everybody, but now that you no longer go to school, you have this longing feeling to go back and "re-live" the times you have had there.

I guess you are just missing something, so to speak. I would give it a couple days, weeks if you must, and you should go back to normal. But, no, this is far from depression, just a sort of "missing" and "longing" feeling.

6. mindstorm787 Gummi Ship Junkie

All I have to say is this: It's all about growing up.
    There are gonna be times when life is just gonna move fast, while other times its gonna move slow.

I'm gonna be going to high school next year, but I don't want to leave the middle school that I'm in. It's basically the same concept. I have some pretty good friends from last year, but I don't see them as often.

In short, life is just passing you by. If you truly feel lonely, get off your butt and host something like a get-together party. Thats something I would do. Play poker, chat, bring some food. All you need is your friends, and enjoy yourself. Because, life is short. And if you let it pass you by, soon God will snap his fingers and say, "Ok, times up sir, time to leave the living world."

7. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

There are some indications of Depression like "Being unable to do what you want to do it" feel trapped at a situation that you can't escape, or don't have the willpower enough to bypass it, some people sleep all day and cant be productive.. in portuguese we have a word for what you are feeling "Saudade" it is almost as nostalgia. I think you'll be fine as long as you can talk with friends about it.

8. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Depression is more a feeling of intense demotivation and upset, that's how I see it. The pain just hangs over you and stops you feeling like doing anything at all which means you may literally spend days doing nothing or next to nothing which may worsen it as people think "I'm just useless" which isn't true as they just have to get up and do something (easier said then done). Depression is brought on by faulty cognitions and upsetting thoughts and can be very serious and a great hindrance on life but what you have is just a longing to be back in the old days. I love nostalgia, it's one of my favourite feelings which is why I hang on to so many things and why the things I love the most are things from years ago- for example, I don't think any Kingdom hearts game will ever surpass KH2 for me simply because that is the first one I played and has to nostalgia factor.

I too am leaving school which is depressing me quite a bit but I say it in a light term, I'm not actually depressed just upset that I have to leave all my friends. Of course, it's not the end, the people who really matter you'll stay in touch with and can always meet up while those people you won't miss will be out of your life and as you move onto another place be it work or further education or whatever, you'll find new people to befriend and who you can create such brilliant memories with again. It's a cycle and will keep turning, we shouldn't live in the past as we can't stop time from turning as much as I've tried xD so we must accept it and live for the present and save for the future. I've also grown very close to my teachers and will miss them immensely, some of them have facebook so I'll stay in touch with them but one of them doesn't and I've had him for 4 years so it'll be so weird not having him teach me english. I am just going to have to accept that and carry on with life though, I'm sure I'll get over it but right now it seems hard because I have had a crush on him for 3 and a half years xD I'll find other people though, and you will as well Amaury so don't despair.