Abortion

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Styx, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Styx That's me inside your head.

The abortion debate. Go go go!

I'm all for abortion and in my opinion a foetus that isn't viable is good enough to pull out of the womb and drop in the organic waste bin.
    This of course implies that an abortion may be induced on request.

What are your opinions?

2. Death Heart Destiny Islands Resident

It depends on the situation. If the mother got raped and was pregnant, then I'm all for it but if some chick was just fooling around and got pregnant because of that, then I think she should own up. All my opinion, of course.

3. DemyxPlaysMySitar Twilight Town Denizen

^This
    I'm up for it if they're 15, and have to go to school and everything. Or if the mother's disabled, then they should. But if it's because it's a girl and they want it to be a boy, then they shouldn't get one.

4. The Fuk? Dead

Well anyone could lie and say they were raped just because they don't want to have to baby. There's no real way of keeping tabs on that sort of thing.

For me, it's such a hard debate. I mean, Abortion is legal, but we convicted Michael Vick for killing dogs. So it's hard really to see where the priorities of our leaders are and what they think is right. I don't use religion as a basis for any of my opinions. But maybe it should be legal but not as easy as just walking into a clinic and getting an operation done and no questions asked. It's really hard to form a strong opinion on this subject. Maybe if I was put in a situation that involved it, I could form an argument better.

5. Styx That's me inside your head.

Why should you be taught lessons of responsibility if there are ways available to cure the consequences of your irresponsibilities?
    Ask yourself this: what good would it do anyone to deny abortion in such a situation?
    The child? Not alive yet, so no.
    The mother? It was her request in the first place so no.
    The father? Coming in second place for at least 9 months sure sounds promising.
    The hospital? Recovery abortion takes less time than recovering from labour. The mother's room will be vacant sooner.

Having her "own up" sounds all fancy and mature, but there's no need for responsibility lessons. Abortion costs will take care of that (or other restrictions, such as limitations in the intervention of health insurance).
    The responsibility argument is outdated. In fact it became outdated the moment it existed.

6. Arch Mana Knight

A lot of people don't think of it that way. I don't really do that either. Unless there's more to the situation such as...the mother was "fooling around" and is financially unable to give the child proper care.

Personally...I only believe in abortion for extreme cases. I kinda don't like it when people start using religion to explain why abortion is always wrong. Sure it isn't like you're doing the best thing in the world by not allowing a child to be born, but there are always worse things than that. And plus, there's always a choice about it. If someone chose to rape someone, that someone(not the rapist. D8<) should be allowed to choose to have an abortion or not.

7. Styx That's me inside your head.

What right do they have not to think of it that way if what I said would be true?

8. Death Heart Destiny Islands Resident

Abortions are fine in various cases, but an abortion in the case that the mother got pregnant because she wanted to have fun just means that after her abortion, she can continue just to have fun.

9. GhettoXemnas literally dead inside

I'm for abortion and I think it should be the girl's choice since it's her body. Though I think the guy should still have some say in it, but ultimately I think it should be up to the girl.

10. Styx That's me inside your head.

And she can continue to abort. Where's the problem?
    Also, to give the coup de grace to your logic:

Are no laughing matter. She'll think twice, if only for her wallet's sake.

Another tiny argument I'd like to point out. Pregnancy, and I assume unwanted pregnancies more than any other, are a bother on a professional level. It takes women out of work much longer than abortion does.

11. Death Heart Destiny Islands Resident

If she has a fairly large amount of money, then abortion costs could mean nothing to her. There are a lot of risks, including profession, your body, etc.... I'm getting a motorcycle and I know that I could end up with my head splattered across the highway, but I'm still getting one. As long as the mother knows the risks, she can go for it, but if risks turn to reality, she shouldn't just throw the kid away because she doesn't like it. And adoption is always an option anyway.

12. Styx That's me inside your head.

Admitted. Not sure if there are too many girls out there though. The parents may intervene once but I'm sure the vast majority of them could dissuade their promiscuous daughter to pull such a stunt again. Just guessing on that though.

And labour hasn't? Right.

1. A fetus is not a kid.
    2. You've been avoiding this question the whole time: why the hell not?

Seriously, do you let any of my posts sink in? At all?

13. Death Heart Destiny Islands Resident

Well I'm pretty sure after a few abortions, the lesson would begin to sink in but that's still after the abortions. Also my guess. There are advantages and disadvantages to pregnancy.

Granted a fetus is technically not alive but it will grow to be alive, unless other circumstances prevent like disease and stuff. "Why the hell not?" There are better options then abortion if there is a pregnancy, such as adoption. Why kill the option for life, instead of letting someone else take care of it?

I'm not discouraging sex or anything. I'm all for it. Just know what the outcome may be.

14. TheVader74 Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm with Styx. At the end of the day, abortion fees would convince the person(s) involved like no serious talk ever would. In the obvious cases like incest or rape, I'm all for it. If they were getting rid of it for the simple fact that they aren't prepared and didn't want it, then I would understand. Besides, the cost of abortion would pail in comparison to the cost of childcare.

Also, regarding adoption, that still requires the woman going through labour, which (I'd imagine) is a painful and (occasionally) drawn out process. Personally, if I were gonna go through that just to give the child away, I wouldn't think it worth it, if I wouldn't have a drive to look after the child myself anyway.

At the end of the day, it's the persons own decision, but there's nothing wrong with it, IMO. If they want to, go for it, but it will have repurcussions that will get the message through.

15. Styx That's me inside your head.

Help me out here. Advantages to unwanted pregnancy include...?

Because "the option for life" means ****. Because the life that may come out of it can be good or bad, and it's due to this uncertainity that the "what if" scenario shouldn't even matter here.
    Because of several reasons I already mentioned. Why is wasting 9 months of your life better than dealing with it early? Who benefits from it?
    Because ther will always be people who will choose adoption, and there are alternatives such as artificial insemination as well. So don't you worry about those poor infertile couples who still want kids. And at least then you wouldn't shove adoption down young mothers' throats because they had unsafe sex.

16. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

I do think that the option should be open to everyone. I myself can't say, in the event that I got a girl pregnant, whether or not I would want her to get an abortion because I don't know the circumstances under which it happened. And even then, there are options such as putting the kid up for adoption if we couldn't take care of it, flawed a plan as this may be. Different scenarios do call for different solutions though, don't you think?

I think it's also worth noting here that Hitler's mom wanted to get an abortion but her doctor talked her out of it.

17. Death Heart Destiny Islands Resident

I apologize. I wasn't clear. There are disadvantages and advantages in all pregnancies, not just unwanted. All of these have been listed really.

I agree the life could be good or bad, but there's never certainity in pregnancy or sex. Or whatever the child ends up becoming, a leader, a serial killer,.... It's all a risk. I agree some people will choose adoption and some people will choose abortion instead, depending on whatever they think is right. I don't care about whether people adopt or not, but there's always the option. People who can't have babies benefit from it. It's fine on various occasions. Like if the condom broke or they were raped. If I wanted to start preaching that abortion was wrong, I would go make a bunch of signs, gather a crowd with similar thoughts, and protest where a mass of people were located. But I'm not. This is an opinion. One of many.

18. Repliku Chaser

I can say that though I would not want to see a baby of mine aborted, and I'd want to do the responsible thing and be there etc.. I feel the right is left to the woman having a baby. I don't think it's right that people can say 'you should not get an abortion if you were not raped' or something because I'm not able to know the pains of what it would feel like to get pregnant and not have the love and support to help raise a kid. There are a lot of factors that go into pregnancy and raising children. If a girl doesn't have the necessary means to do it, I think that's her own personal decision to make. If a girl wants to try and do her best with it, then by all means she should have the chance to do so. If she wants to give the kid up for adoption, that should be her right too, and lastly I feel if she just does not feel capable of raising the child and doesn't want to give it up for adoption for whatever reason, she should have the right to abort.

I do put a cap limit of time duration though on it. I think if a girl has carried a baby through the first trimester, and is like in the 3rd trimester, where technically a baby 'could' survive outside the womb, I do not believe she should be able to abort a child then unless there are medical reasons. The reasoning behind that is that by that time, a person should have long made up their minds on what they wanted to do and the baby is more developed. The reasoning of hardship etc, isn't one that can be really used at 6 months pregnant, to me.

In the end, the solution to abortion in most cases would be the 'day after pill' which would pretty much help a lot of people and not mess up a woman's system either because it is done so early and to me is really not so much different than using a spermicide. However, some women do not realize they are pregnant till a few weeks after, so for these women, abortion may still need to be an option. I do think the day after pill being more marketed would probably though reduce the need for abortions dramatically.

Some people like to insist others should put up kids for adoption. I think it's a fine idea to do, but if the woman doesn't want to, I can see why. There are -many- kids that -never- get adopted out there. So all those couples that say they'd adopt kids... they aren't. Many are just talk due to their stance but do nothing because the child they want has to look a certain way etc, or they have no desire to really put their money where their mouth is. If we had a shortage of kids needing to be adopted, maybe I'd rally more to this option, but it just is not true and many people are unaware of how these kids even live. It isn't easy, or fun, to live in orphanages and then bounce around some families that get paid to have the kid stay there etc. Many of these kids that aren't adopted turn out pretty rough and unhappy.

So, in the end, I think the choice is best left up to the woman and those who say things like 'adoption is evil' etc, that's fine to believe if it comes to yourself. It doesn't seem fair to feel that way about what someone else does. Abortion is a serious choice and I do not think many women make it so easily as some people accuse because they are so against the concept. The women I know who have feel it was one of the toughest choices of their lives. I don't feel it fair to judge them.

19. krayzie Lionhart

it should be the mother's choice
    it would hurt to donate because they may never see each other again and maybe she cant take care of him or she was raped etc
    i think that it should be 100% the mother's decition
    so yeah it shoud be allowed and done at mother's request
    though i do feel bad for the baby

20. Rissy Queen of the Clouds

Abortion is a big subject. I think that a young girl as in my age to maybe 20 years of age should go for abortion, but yet there are many of women out there who wish to have a son or daughter of their own, but their body won't allow it. If I were ever to have the tiny pink plus in my hand, I'd have to say I'd go for the Abortion right away, even if guilt would eat at me. I'm surely not ready for a baby in my life, I let alone can't take care of myself sometimes.
    Responsibilty is what is needed for a baby to grow inside you, and come out when ready. It's not a "Have to" basis for every woman. It's your choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.