No Thanks Add a Test Forum

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

It could be added as a child of Bug Reports.

Sometimes there are certain bugs that are discovered while making or editing a post and other post-related stuff, and rather than unnecessarily filling up the post history with, for lack of a better word, spam while trying to get a screenshot, trying to make sure a bug is reproducible, etc., a test forum could be added to be used specifically for that type of stuff.

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

This is implying that such a section doesn't already exist in the first place within the various staff section(s). Fact of the matter is (and this is just my opinion), this would only be really useful for any kind of serious bug, which if that is the case the last thing the staff probably want is people trying to reproduce potentially dangerous bugs. I feel like the current staff team is more than capable of handling the site (including bug testing). The idea itself wouldn't be bad, but I can't imagine the site benefiting from this all that much, heck if anything it might lead to problems. Keeping a section dedicated to bugs in the site is asking for trouble, or at the very least making it all too easy for those who might wish to harm the site. So if important/dangerous bugs wouldn't be posted it would only really be a section filled with screenshots of MINOR graphical issues, which to be frank doesn't warrant another section/subsection.

Just my opinion tho.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Of course. Those should only be discussed within the staff section. I'm referring to the more minor things. Let's say that when I add bullet points within a quote block, the last bullet for some reason ends up outside of the closing [/QUOTE] instead of the inside like it should. Before reporting it, I need to make sure it's reproducible and not just a glitch. Rather than messing with and testing it in a productive thread, a test thread could be made within the test forum to test it out.

Replying to your other point quoted below, since we already have a Bug Reports forum, I can't see this bringing harm for small things. More critical things, like security issues, should definitely be restricted to within the staff section as you said.

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I can't see a whole forum being added just to test minor things like that.
    Technically speaking, you could always try to recreate it in the Spam Zone. I've seen (and made) "test threads" there for minor coding stuff. Also, staff usually tries to reproduce it themselves when reported, right? I do agree that it would help to be able to reproduce it beforehand, but I don't think the few bugs we have warrant a whole section (that's actually a good thing, in my opinion).

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

But the thing is we already have a section for bugs. This would just be a sub-forum of it so we don't have to disturb actual threads when trying to test something in order to get a screenshot or whatever.

6. libregkd -

Any bugs that are detected, even if you aren't sure they are able to be replicated, should be reported in the Bugs section forum anyway so they could be looked at. Staff already has a system for testing potential bugs/replicating problems so users don't have to go out of their way to try and replicate it. Just list the issue in the current Bug section and any relevant information along with it so we can look at it, just like normal. Marking the suggestion as 'No Thanks'.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Sorry that my last two suggestions were dumb.