Advice on a new laptop HDD

Discussion in 'Technology' started by SushiKey, Sep 25, 2017.

1. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

I already have an SSD in my laptop (240GB ADATA SU700 Ultimate), but today I am getting an adapter that allows me to have a second hard drive in my laptop via the DVD drive port. The drive that was originally in the laptop is a little slow (which I would have to guess is because it's a 5400RPM drive), so I was wondering what would be good advice on a regular, mechanical hard drive.

I was looking into Seagate drives, since they seem to be a little cheaper on Amazon, and since I have one in my desktop, but I don't know the reliability rates on them. Some say they suck, some say they don't, so what do you guys think? A recommendation would be good too.

This is the one I'm looking at. It's about $50, which is good for me:

2. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Seagates across the board have a higher failure rate from what I've read and personally experienced. You might get lucky, you might not.

[​IMG]

3. SushiKey Destiny Islands Resident

Interesting. Do you think this is just due to the large size though?

I don't need too much space in my laptop.

4. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

No, not really. Over the years seagate has had the reputation of having slightly higher failure rates. It's been like this since I started building computers so 7~ years. I can only speak from experience.