Are Humans 'Good'?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Peace and War, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I believe humans are probably the worst type of animal on the planet (On a whole), the reasons are:
    They care only about their own needs.
    They destroy other species for more space they don't need.
    They destroy their home (Earth) so their lives can be easier.
    They pervate nature with experiments.

I am not part of one of those groups that tries to stop people having kids and eradicating the human species.
    I will be surprised if anyone agrees with me that isn't in one of those groups.

2. Vincent_Valentine Merlin's Housekeeper

I agree and I'm not in one of those groups......

3. RoxasNoxas Hollow Bastion Committee

You're pretty much correct. Just look what sin has done to humanity.

4. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

All I can say is:

Humans are the only good, and the only bad.

5. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

I wouldn't say "worst animal" per se. The animal Kingdom acts promarily on nature and humans grew out of most of their natural instinct a good while ago. Yes it's still in us to be aggressive, and naturally care for our well-being but I think there's more to it. Yes deep down we only care for ourselves, but so does every other animal as self-preservation is part of instinct. But I wouldn't say we're completely selfish and "evil".

For starters most animals can kill their own young and members of their clan, etc. without thinking once. People have the conscience and empathy towards others and are able to put others before themselves at times. Yes you can argue that deep down that the difference between an altruist and egoist can't be determined. but that's an entirely different subject altogether.

As for killing otehr species and taking up space and polluting, that's a given. For years we've done a lot things without truly thinking about how they affected the wildlife and environment. We're a lot more self-conscious today-- at times where it even reaches great level of annoyance-- and are continuing to push forth the effort to right some of the past mistakes. As for the the expanding population, which will prove a problem in the near future, there's always hope that a balance will be achieved. Whether or not it will be natural will be up for time to tell.

And what's with all this "sin" business? for as intelligent a species we claim ourselve to be, we're really just stupid.

6. Anderson (☞゚∀゚)☞ You've lost the game.

It depends on how you look at humans. We are, in a way, morally bad because of the things we do for ourselves. We kill each other, we destroy land, we create corruption in the world.

However, if you look at it in the philisophical perspective, we are like any other animal species on the planet. We find a way to live for ourselves, sometimes on our own instinct. We kill each other in means of pride, superiority, or arguement.

I don't really know how to answer the question with a yes or no.

7. Spike H E R O

You can't judge an entire race by the actions of the arrogant.If you do,eventually,you can become arrogant yourself.

8. IcyKitty Moogle Assistant

id very much like to have the influence to make people have no more than 1-2 kids buuut... its doubtful xD

@la sofa: u have the same view as my parents, and personally, i think its selfish to think were better.

nature [or god] didnt make us so wed destroy the earth, which is what were doing. oh well.

if we remained simple farmers as we were 10,000 years ago, there would be no problem =3

9. La Sofa ('_')-l3 No worries

Its not like I don't care for aniamls. I am saying. In the matter of death or Choas, that we should before if its that reasoning.

10. IcyKitty Moogle Assistant

sure. tho i disagree =3

11. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Your right about one thing, I'm giving to much credit to Humans they don't even have the basic instincts of animals.

I would chose the chicken, to many humans in the world anyway.

I am quite arrogant at times, but you would have to admit that every human has/will be/is arrogant in their time, on purpose knowing what they are doing.

12. IcyKitty Moogle Assistant

agreed. we lost the ability to actually exist on instinct.

human arrogance reinforced with his ability to technology is a bad combination

13. La Sofa ('_')-l3 No worries

ALRGIHT! I take it back! I care too much for humans.

14. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

To put more meat into my point, (I couldn't before because I was a bit to busy too), humans are the only good and the only bad, because without humans there we be no good an evil.

We humans are complicated, and the only reason we are what we are today is either because of arroagnce or curiosity. Thinking about it now, you can tell that everything in history has either happened due to human arrogance, ignorance, or curiosity. Though curiosity can most likely be defined as arroagnce and ignorance in itself. Anything GOOD, as happene because humans were curious, arrogant, or ignorant. Anything BAD, was created due to the same things.

Humans have done so many good things for this planet, we really have, you just need to stop looking at the bad for two fricken seconds and look at the good things. A majority of humans are good people, nice people, people that want to help others and help the world and blah blah blah. Well, that's boring, there's so many good people, the very few people that are actually "bad" or evil are the ones that stand out because they don't come along as often.

In the end, every human has the potential to go both ways: They can be good, or they can be bad. Instead of sitting back and wondering wther or not the entire human race is evil, we should all be concentrating on the things that humans can do to stop what we've already done. Humans were curious and arrogant, and because of the good and the bad things we've done, we know what's right and what's wrong, and as an entire race of people, despite what the media and what your own thoughts can tell you, we are trying with all our might to to fix what we have done, and continue to progress into the future. The worst animal? Hell no. The best animal? **** yes.

We're the BEST animal in, because we're the only animal capable of not only killing every other animal, but saving every other animal. With our intlligence comes great power, but we're smart enough in this day and age to use that power for the right reasons and the right causes.

15. Mixt The dude that does the thing

A lot of the things you have come from long term observations. That doesn't neccesarily show evil, just that we're more idiotic than we think.

16. Jebus Moogle Assistant

Aright, let's get it straight... there is no such thing as good or evil, as it is a man made concept in order to more easily understand certain ideas. Instead, we can only see what is disadventagous to others, and adventagous to others, or vice-cersa.

We, as animals, use whatever means necessary to make sure our needs or wants become reality. Therefore, we are not "bad' when we pollute. We are only as bad as the fox who eats the rabbit. The fox was hungry, and we wanted to live comfortably, so we both did what we had to do to make that a reality. Overall, humans are not bad, we are just using our knowledge in ways that is not benfecial to the planet as a whole.

17. Spitfire I'm a little high, and a little drunk.

It is impossible to define a human as good or evil, we are no better than any other animal that is alive. We kill to eat and survive just like every other species and there is not getting around that idea. As for how we live that is a different story, we do not need half the stuff we have but just as cin said, our curosity we decided to go forth and make life easier and more convinent for everyone else.

That is both a gift and a curse in itself, because of what we have done to the planet as a whole, we have both helped and hurt it. So to say that human can be classified as good or bad is obsurd. We are just trying to live life and although the way we go about it maybe worng, we are not different from a hungry lion. Just our actions are different.

18. Zexion of the Twilight The conflicts within my priorities....

Humans are, generally, not good nor evil. We are mere beings with more potentcial then the other beasts we call "animals" We have more than just instinct to govern our own lives. Everyone who classifies good and evil are crazy, humans are only insane. If we could peer into how animals percieve us, they'd think we're weird for building cities and watching T.V. just as we think it's weird for dogs to sniff each other's butts. We call this potentcial and insanity "intellect." Think, if it weren't for intellect, there'd be no racism or friendship. No rapes or romances. No murders or saviors. We'd be only simple beings who know how to eat, sleep, reproduce, and die. We see this as crazy, but they'd probably see us as crazy too.

I digress, but I'll give it to you straight: The entire human race is crazy.

19. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

About destroying the planet, we didn't do that on purpose. Factories and cars weren't built for the sole purpose of polluting the land, sea, and sky. They were created as part of the Industrial Revolution. Back then through ignorance we couldn't see the effect we were having on the planet. Now that we do see it we are doing things to try and fix it. I fail to see how that is evil.

Also, comparing us to animals is strange. We have sentience (sp?) therefore, most of time, we aren't acting off of basic instincts like animals. Therefore, we have the choice, we can think about the ethical and moral implications of our actions. Animals do not have this choice. Ugh, my mind always blanks half way through posts, I may have more later.............

20. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

About pollution, Even thogh we didn't know it was bad for the planet back then, But still we don't stop using it and many don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.