Bandai Cease New Releases After February

Discussion in 'Anime and Manga' started by Scarred Nobody, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...tainment-to-stop-releasing-new-dvds-bds-manga

I first heard about it from Stephanie Sheh's (K-on, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Bleach) facebook

2. redhairedking Traverse Town Homebody

Interesting news, I am not sure how to take this. On the one hand, this does not bode well for the US anime market. On the other hand, Bandai never really released anything in the US that I was particularly interested in, and the few they released that did interest me were sub only.

3. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I agree with that, somewhat. It's true that Bandai didn't have many interesting titles; it's FUNimation that is more well known in anime circles in the US. Still, a lot of people are going to be put out of jobs, not just the voice actors (even though they probably could find work at other companies) but the people who put a lot of work in the behind the scenes stuff.

4. ShibuyaGato Transformation

This is true, though Bandai is still one of the bigger companies. The real problem I see is that anime and manga are too expensive. People can't keep up with ten dollars for a book and fourteen dollars for a few episodes of an anime (I've seen a DVD of five episodes go for nearly twenty bucks down here).

It's a real shame to see this happen.

5. Cloud3514 Kingdom Keeper

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
    There are two main factors that caused this. The first and surprisingly lesser reason is the amount of piracy that's hurting everyone in the industry. However, since that is the lesser reason, I'm going to spare my usual anti-piracy rant. I will just leave it at saying that there are legal streaming options, DVD prices are improving (seriously, I've seen full series for $30-$35) and piracy is bad for the already small industry.

The main reason is that Bandai Entertainment's parent company, Bandai Japan, expected Bandai Entertainment to bid on licenses like every other distributor. Just one big problem: Bandai Japan only sold licenses to Bandai Entertainment and forced them to outbid the competition, despite the fact that they had no intention of selling it to anyone else. This is just downright STUPID and was one of the factors in the high DVD prices and the need for high sales despite the high prices.

6. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Looks like I have to come up with the money for Haruhi Suzumiya season box-sets (both season 1 and 2), the Haruhi Suzumiya movie, and the Lucky Star season box set including the OVA and manga before they are GONE. Those are the ones I love the most from Bandai. :(

7. Rayku Kingdom Keeper

It's fairly sad to see Bandai go, to be honest

The whole industry is getting hurt by people downloading illegally and not supporting the companies by buying the DVDs and such

8. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

From what I read, Bandai said that they weren't going to release anything new, but they would still send out their shows/movies that they have already released (example: there will be no K-On Season Two released under Bandai but they will still send out season one of the show). So, you still have a good long time to get what you need.

9. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Thats good to know, I would hate to live in a world without Haruhi x_x
    If there is a third season of Haruhi I just hope some company like Funimation can take it but would keep the original cast or I will end up to hate Funimation again.

10. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

I hope to god they don't give all their products and shows over to FUNimation. I will scream if I have to hear Vic getting another lead character voice roll or something. I am sick and tired of it, to be perfectly honest.

11. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Usually Funimation doesn't do a redub of things they get from other companies. Even if it was in the age where a lot of the dubs were bad, they still keep the original on there. And Vic's not a bad voice actor to be honest, but I do have a mild dislike for him because of the fanbase that follows him around. When something has a big annoying fanbase, that usually makes me want to dislike it on the spot. It's the reason why I just can't get into Naruto.

12. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

I can understand why they wouldn't want to redub another companies work, but if they have to stop producing anything over here for English audiences, I see no reason not to at least send their own VA's to FUNimation and allowing them to work their, still VAing for projects. It makes sense, but we'll just have to see you know?

Also, I agree, Vic can be a little funny, but his fanbase is terrible. I can tell you one thing, I went to the first con in my town last year and he clearly had a small slideshow describing "Lies" that people have spread. I don't know why he did it, but that made me dislike him some more.