Beginning.

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Loxare, May 30, 2014.

1. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

How do you actually start the writing? What's the opening scene? Open with the main character? Start with an inconsequential character to set up the plot? Secondary character? How far ahead do you start? Right at the beginning of the plot? Start with an important event later, then jump back to the beginning? Years before?

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I find it hard to start with the beginning, because of how much you have to convey at once. You've got to grip the reader immediately, and tell them what to expect in a way; setting up conflict, establishing your narrative voice and enough info about the viewpoint character to hang on to... And I personally prefer to jump right into the action rather than navel-gazing, which adds its own complications. I rarely start with something far in the past, if that's where the cool stuff happened then that should be the present of the story imo. If I do go into flashbacks there's usually a catalyst, like one of the characters recalling their past or presenting it in some tangible way.