Better than Disney?

Discussion in 'Disney Galaxy' started by (╯°□°)╯︵ ıɥsoɯ, Feb 1, 2012.

1. (╯°□°)╯︵ ıɥsoɯ Hollow Bastion Committee

So I have recently read an article (that is now my favorite) about the original stories behind classic Disney films. To be honest, I find quite a few of these stories better. But I'll allow KHV to give their opinion on such a matter.

Here is a brief of the article (warning: some of these are quite awful and gruesome but not in exact detail):

• The Jungle Book: Mowgli gets kicked out of the village and sends animals to kill everyone.
    • The Little Mermaid: Bleeds and dies after Eric marries another.
    • Pinocchio: Gets chewed up by fish.
    • The Fox and The Hound: Fox and family get killed, owners shoots hound dead.
    • Hercules: Goes crazy and murders family.
    • Tarzan: Let's the girl he loves go even though she loves him.
    • The Hunchback of Notre Dame: Esmeralda grossed out by Quasy, Esme is killed by Frollo who is killed by Quasy. Quasy goes to Esme graved and dies.

Here's a link for the full stories.

Thoughts anyone?

2. Ventus PSP Aqua Gummi Ship Junkie

Wow..I know Disney movies can be sometimes depressing but this takes it to another level.

I dont know about The Jungle Book, Pinnocchio, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame since I havent seen them, but the rest I dont think they have a better story. Although I do think that Tarzan is better.

3. Mixt The dude that does the thing

I remember another one is that Snow White chokes on the apple and is saved when the hearse hits a bump in the road and knocks it loose.

4. (╯°□°)╯︵ ıɥsoɯ Hollow Bastion Committee

I actually find this a bit hilarious in a way. But I don't think they had hearses in the time line they based that movie in. haha

5. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Might not have been a technical "hearse" but they were bringing her to be buried (at least I'm pretty sure, been a while since that one has been brought up)

6. (╯°□°)╯︵ ıɥsoɯ Hollow Bastion Committee

Ah well then I suppose I would have to look this up since it had struck my interest. I'm pretty sure more of the films have scary Original stories to them.

7. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Yeah Disney loves to use Grimm Fairy Tails which are not exactly known for having happy endings originally.

http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/grimm053.html
    I was a bit wrong. One of the dwarfs tripped. Same idea though

8. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I think The Hunchback of Notre Dame has a much darker ending than that, but I don't want to get into details with that.

There's also a few strange things with Snow White. Remember when the Queen wanted the hunter to bring Snow's heart to show that he killed her? Well, that didn't cut it in the original story. Oh, no. Depending on which version of the story, the Queen asks for some kind of major organ from Snow White so she can EAT IT. I wonder if she requested her liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

There's also Sleeping Beauty. Think the prince is nice and charming. Nope. In one telling, he decides to do it with her, while she is still in her coma state. In another telling, she gives birth to twins while still in the coma. Wrap your mind around that.

And there's Cinderella. If they kept this stuff, it would have made the movie more entertaining for me. Basically, the step mother had the step sisters cut off their toes in order to trick the prince with the whole "if the slipper fits" situation. And once Cinderella is revealed to be the owner of the slipper, birds come in and peck the step family to death!

9. Mixt The dude that does the thing

Speaking of Cinderella the slipper is glass because of a mistranslation down the line. It was originally fur.

10. (╯°□°)╯︵ ıɥsoɯ Hollow Bastion Committee

Now I'm REALLY interested in what could be found about these tails.

^This was great.

11. Princess Rapunzel Flower, gleam and glow

This is Disney you're talking about, they love to sugar coat fairy tales with dark endings. In Beauty and the Beast, Beauty had two elder sisters who were as greedy as can be, and after the curse is removed, they are turned to stone, or something like. And in the original telling of Snow White, the Queen wasn't her stepmother, it was her biological mother who wanted the fairest of them all taken out.

12. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Speaking of Beauty and the Beast, isn't it just the story of a woman and her Stockholm Syndrome?

13. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

In the original story, she does suicide and dissolves or whatever, and she has a chance to be reborn if she does this thing??????????.
    Really vague, because I don't remember.
    But I do know she does not bleed out and die.

14. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

Didn't find the link there. Oh well...

Yeah, I knew that Disney's movies are originally from different tales. Quasy is Quasimodo right? O.o Probably. Just quote this if I'm wrong. Hm... I heard that in Cinderella one of the sisters cut her feet to make the glass slipper fit, but the prince realizes she's bleeding.

Those tales are also quite interesting.

15. Princess Rapunzel Flower, gleam and glow

One sister cut off her heel and the other cut off her toe, but the prince was alerted by a pair of heavenly dove and found out Cinderella was the one. To give you a better idea, here's the version you're all referring from wikiapeida:

16. Krowley Moderator

The amount of stories that were altered by Disney.
    Most of the female protagonists were way younger than depicted.
    Still surprised they allowed Ariel to marry at 16

17. Maggy Gummi Ship Junkie

Wow, I didn't know they were altered so much...

Now I wonder if it would have been more interesting to watch the original versions, lol

18. Amayashiro Merlin's Housekeeper

Well I can't say I have read ALL of the original stories but some of the stories are somewhat better than the Disney interpretation. However, I do think that Disney is great not because the plot is fantastic, Disney is great because it puts out an amazing final product. That means that the plot, the characters, the designs, background, animation, and music are all incredibly well done and they all fit together amazingly. That's what makes Disney so great. It's obvious that the original story must have been fantastic or else DIsney would not have picked it in the first place and I agree that some original stories are a lot better than Disney's interpretation of it but like I said, it's not just the plot that makes Disney great

19. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

Meh you can get married in the UK at that if mummy and daddy say it's okay, also I've heard some place where a girl was 7 when she got married.

Back on the topic of things, most of the fairy tails/stories have darker sides to them, but I think Beauty and the Beast is the closest to the original story with a few changes

20. Droid Hollow Bastion Committee

Just about all of the Disney movies based on old stories have dark sides to them, obviously Disney had to alter the deal or we'd all be messed up from watching them..

Ehehe..

Anyways, the fact they can take these stories and turn them into masterpieces for all ages is what I've always loved about Disney.