Birth by Sleep Birth By Sleep saved me in other video games

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Shikou, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Recently I've noticed the dash and keep your distance part of fighting bosses in Birth By Sleep has been saving my butt in other games.
    In the final battle for Chain of Memories Revers/Rebirth (PS2 remake) the final boss was so annoying until I played it again recently because I finished the boss rather quickly.
    In re:Coded there are many times that I was grateful I played Birth By Sleep before re:Coded.
    In The 3rd Birthday the dash part saved me in the final boss (you have no idea how hard that could have been).
    Has anyone ever used strategies from one games and use it on other games?
    [​IMG]
    (Terra using dash)

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

BBS, among other things, got me to think a lot more about how to engage enemies head-on without taking much damage; how to wade into a group of enemies or walk right up to a giant boss and go toe-to-toe with them. Otherwise I fall back on the ol' block-and-flail, where I cower behind a shield or mash the dodge button incessantly if my opponent so much as twitches, then switch to a reckless offense in the interim. But stuff like Birth By Sleep and Demon's Souls challenged me to actually find my opponent's opening and capitalize on it.

A lot of games intend you to hit this boss at this time, like when he's reeling from a huge sword swing; but then they offer you game mechanics like a near-invincible dodge or lots of crazy hitstun which make the point moot as you can just mash it out if strategy stops working to your liking. KHII tends to have bosses standing there getting whaled on, and the ones that do give a rip about getting hurt are not encountered until Second Chance and Once More have been learned, which I hold are game-breakers in the second game.

BBS ups the risk factor. Even with Second Chance and Once More, sometimes your window to avoid a killing blow is a fraction of a second; and sometimes it's just a better idea to stay in the fight until you reach a legitimate moment of reprieve, rather than risk forcibly, sloppily dis-engaging from a fight and having your opponent punish you for it. The standard enemies have some creative attacks and kill conditions, such as the hourglass enemies who can freeze you (which, on higher difficulties, is essentially instant death) and the big round fellas who only get stronger when you hit their front. So when I get finished playing it and move along to the next game, I'm twice as good at it. It's like training with weights. I'm used to trickier enemies and more precise timing, so when I take a step down, I feel like a karate black-belt taking on junior yellow-belts.

In particular, I like playing as Terra, because his dash covers a lot of ground but is slower than Ven's or Aqua's, thus riskier in certain situations. It's more of an all-or-nothing gamble than the dodge roll or cartwheel.

3. Arch Mana Knight

I don't see Birth by Sleep as being some hardcore action game since it takes very little skill to master the game. *Shrug* The only things that are hard in the game are the extra bosses. Sure it's a bit more involved in its combat that the previous entries in the series but it's still not a game that you need a whole lot of skill to do anything. Unless you're talking about annoying mini-games. >> To be honest I don't really see any strategies that specifically from BBS carrying over to other games that require a bit more.

In terms of fighting and "hack-and-slash" games, they all tend to follow the same general formula. To say that Birth by Sleep taught you how to block, use a dodge, or counter just means you've either never played a combat intensive game or are too used to mashing buttons. I'm not saying Birth by Sleep is a wimpy game or anything but it just isn't very hard. If you're playing as Ven or Aqua you're practically invincible since their dodges have ridiculous amounts of invincibility frames with minimal recovery between dodges. Playing as Terra at least requires some decent amount of skill.

4. Stella Nox Fleuret Hollow Bastion Committee

Kingdom Hearts just gives me all the boss battle info I need. How the hell did I survive Crisis Core? KH:BBS.

5. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

...You haven't played on Proud, have you?

And don't you lecture me about combat-intensive games boy, I play DMC3, Dishwasher, and BlazBlue

6. Arch Mana Knight

I started the game on Proud and breezed through it. I never play anything on easy. Birth by Sleep itself is easy as it is.

Then how could you associate Kingdom Hearts as anything but being a game with easy combat and forgiving button inputs? I'm well aware of the DMC series being...well, "intense" but if you've really played those games(and have been good at them) then any Kingdom Hearts game should be a walk in the park. In either case, I wasn't lecturing. Listing a few games doesn't prove any point.>> I never even pointed anyone out in my last post so cool off, little one.

7. The Graceful Assassin It's Just Like Christmas Morning

Well, I don't dash around the entire fight like an idiot. In fact, I mostly used it to get to somewhere faster.

8. Daxa~ #stalker

Dash made me happy.
    :3

But meh,I agree with Machina here....most of the BBS combat stuff is pretty easy,only the minigames are evil.
    Evil.
    That being said,I did love the general playing style in Birth By Sleep.
    And Terra. Oh Terra. My reaction when I first saw him~
    <3

9. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

I haven't played KHBBS yet, but in the others Kingdom Hearts I dash a lot. I mostly use it to run or slide to behind of an enemy, a good thing is don't be attacked, so I was able to avoid a lot of attacks with this ability.

Yes, very useful.

10. nickoboyzx Gummi Ship Junkie

dash are really helpful in KH game
    but i like reversal than dash

since BBS character didn't had reversal ( except ventus :3)
    dash the one that save my live