Boston Bomber sentenced to Death

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sara, May 15, 2015.

1. Sara Tea Drinker

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/15/us/boston-bombing-tsarnaev-sentence/index.html

I'm not surprised it happened... After him flipping off the camera in his cell it seemed inevitable. Maybe for some ways he wanted the death penalty.

Life in prison would've been much more brutal for him in a lot of ways, along with the fact that he could become a marauder for more of this to happen. I hope it doesn't, but either way, I hope the families who suffered through the tragedy can get some closure.

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'm sure you most of you already know how I feel about the death sentence--I don't agree with it, regardless of the crime committed. Not only that, but it costs more than putting someone in prison forever without parole; that money could be put toward other things, such as fixing dangerous roads. However, at the same time, don't get me wrong. What this guy did was inexcusable and he deserves no sympathy whatsoever and to be thrown in jail until the day he dies.

3. Sara Tea Drinker

I live in Maine, a few hours from Boston.

I visit often, when I can afford the trip and the time. My godmother was there the day of the explosion half a mile away from the finish line searching for her niece. She was running late and was fifteen minutes late from reaching the finish line when the bomb went off. A co-worker of mine had her brother down the street where the shootout happened that killed the brother, he could hear the gunshots in his apartment. When he called in sick they could hear the gunshots outside also.

Though the Boston Bombing wasn't as big as 9/11, in a lot of ways it's very familiar. I find it closer to it because my godmother was a quarter a mile away from the explosion when it happened. A lot of people say they have a family, friend, or relative or themselves have something that happened in 9/11 that was close to them. At least for my generation and older. This is the first time it hit close, very close.

I really don't know how I feel right now. I still remember when the explosion went off... I came home from doing the laundry minutes later it happened... When the shootout happened, and when the entire city was crippled afterwards. I still remember eating ice cream at the mall in New Hampshire when they announced they caught the guy. The cheer was deafening, people were crying, I didn't understand fully because I didn't hear what happened until I got home. But I just knew it was because he was captured that they cheered.

I'm neutral with the death penalty, I sometimes think the person deserves it, sometimes they don't. Which is a debate for another thread. But this whole thing is something I'll never forget.

4. Sebax Avatar by Xerona

I am, personally, not in favor of the Death Penalty in general. It's, typically, archaic and absolutist. Plus, to its negatives, innocents have been wrongly convicted and sentenced to death. Overall, I am quite Liberal minded, at times. I was raised Conservative, so I do have the vantage points necessary to look at issues from either side of a two-party system. And beyond.

We know he committed these crimes. We know that, for the most part, he's mentally-stable, but seriously corrupted. That's saying nothing for all that he's done to further Islamophobia in the country and religious intolerance. He hurt people. He killed people. He made more than a mistake. He made a conscious decision to do something evil, no matter how you slice it. I am going to say something I do not say very often:

To me, he deserves the Death Penalty. I do not revel in the wake of his demise, but it does not leave me with any burden to think his life will end for what he has done.

5. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

It is honestly a little disturbing to me. In most cases I agree with the death penalty, but this one, I don't.

I agree with @Sara that life in prison for him would have been harder, and I wish he would have gotten that. For one thing, he had an older brother who was involved, and died in the shoot out with the police in the aftermath of the bombing.

Not only that, but in my opinion there was very little inquiry into how he decided on this course of action. What influenced him? How was he able to pull this off and harm so many people? More importantly, why did he really do it?

If those questions can't be answered, how could this be prevented in the future? And honestly, I find it disgusting that the victims are celebrating the death of this man. Yes he caused them
    immense amounts of pain and he does deserve to atone for that, but to so callously take to social media and tell the world how you can finally move on now that this young man will be killed is wrong. The only person keeping them from moving on is themselves, and they should at least take responsibility for that, just as they expect this person to take responsibility for what he did to them.