Traditional Art Drawing Academy Diary

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Gultigargar, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

Made a new thread for this, as it is quite different from what I usually draw.

So I've started on this drawing course. (on day 3 as of writing this). We draw somewhere around 5 hours a day (not counting homework), so that's pretty tough so far.

One of the first things we did was to make 3-4 minute drawings/caricatures of each others faces. Here are a couple I made that I like. (Emphasis on like. Drawings I post here are not neccessarily ones I consider good...)
    [​IMG]

Our homework for yesterday was to make seven 5-minute sketches of each others feet (plus 2 x 45 minutes of long-study of a foot, but I'm not posting that...)
    [​IMG]

That's it for now. Will (probably?) update the thread every now and then if I get something done that I like.

(Oh, and excuse the ****** image quality. The only method I have of getting this onto my computer is by taking pictures of the drawings with my iPod's camera, which kind of sucks.)

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

For the first one, I like all of the different emotions, especially the last one.

For the other one, I just find it interesting how you drew the feet.

3. Plums Wakanda Forever

I agree with Amaury.

I thought you captured the emotions of the other people's face quite well, and the pictures of the feet appeared to be in the middle of motions rather than posed.

4. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

Welp, guess I must have ****ed something up then, 'cause there really wasn't any expression on anyone's faces.

We're still working on feet, so this update will have more foot-related drawings.

Our assignment was to draw our shoes to get an understanding of how they are designed to fit with the shape of the foot (in order to get a better understanding of the foot itself).
    [​IMG]

During class, we were asked to copy this step-by-step way to construct a foot, from an anatomy book. I thought this was a great exercise, as I felt I got a better idea of how to go about constructing, rather than ujst copying what you see.
    [​IMG]

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

Very nicely done again.

Just like with the feet, it looks like the shoes are in the middle of motions instead of just still.

6. Plums Wakanda Forever

For the shoes, I like how you captured all of them at different angles. It gives this 3D like feeling to me.

As for the anatomy, I really liked how you showed the different joints coming together to form a foot. It actually looks like it could be one of those flipbook animations if you put them together. xD

Great job. :B

7. Llave Superless Moderator

I am very pleased to see you partaking in such an academy!

The 5 minute drawings are always hard... getting things done in a snap of a finger it feels like sometimes. I do like them, they are good sketches. (I honestly don't like showing my sketches, i feel so weird showing others for some reason...) But you capture the faces very quickly, it is very good to hone your speed and accuracy. Allows for better observation and detail.

As for the feet, i commend you greatly! i honestly hate feet, they are so hard to draw. The shoes and the structure of the foot are very well done. as long as you can sketch things out, you should be fine! hahaa!!!

I do enjoy seeing others' work. so i look forward to seeing more of your wonderful sketches!

8. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Was thinking this. ^

To make the post legit: OP has a nice group of shots. The faces, while technically solid in most every way I can see are nothing special without their short timescale. But hey, I'd be a total tool if I expected you to have a full and complete drawing in 3-4 minutes. Main thing I like about them is how they look really human, like I might be able to recognize someone based on them in spite of their simplicity. Bottom right looks kinda odd though, like the extra lines change the way I see the shape of the face.

To me, feet are always a reminder of how much I fail at perspective. For you however, it doesn't seem to be the case. You can do it all form multiple angles to shadows to shoes. I know this is likely a learned behavior but you can still color me three shades of green and impressed.

9. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

I love doing 2-to-5 minute sketches. I only really start to panic when we do croquis and have 30 seconds to nail down a pose. Yikes! One minute sketches I can do, but nor eliably. It's about 50/50 if it'll be good or not, I guess.

For those of you who mentioned hating feet because they are hard to do, that is exactly why our teacher chose to start with them. His reasoning was something along the lines of "Feet are difficult because of the many shapes colliding with each other. But because feet are hard, you have a solid foundation if you can do them well."

With that said, here are some more feet! We were asked to sketch feet again, but this time to focus on using the constructive drawing method we've been taught. I still haven't quite gotten the hang of it, but I guess I have a general idea of how to use lines to show shapes.

[​IMG]

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

What I like about this is that you changed tactics, or at least it appears that way.

Here, it looks like they're still photos of the feet instead of in motion.

11. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

So we've done a couple of ~40 minute croquis drawings. (Is it still croquis if it's about 40 minutes long?) The drawing to the far right is only ~15 minutes. We were asked to try to draw the body only with the circumferences of the forms, to better show everything's position in the "space" of the drawing.

There's nudity this time, so I'm spoiler-tagging it:

Also, kind of hard to see here because my iPod camera has a crappy resolution, but these drawings were drawn on a pretty big piece of paper. Size would probably be about 9 x A4, if not more. I'm still getting used to drawing on such a big format, but I think these worked out okay. (I had a couple where the head and/or feet would get cut off.)

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

Inappropriate much? XD

Anyway, I like this because it seems to be like an evolution chart of humans.

Starting from the right side, there's an ape-ish figurue, which slowly turns more and more human.

13. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

No, it's fine- it's tasteful nudity so isn't being used in a crude way and it's been put under a spoiler with a warning, although I've changed it into a link.

I really like all of the pictures you've done, they have the sketching detail as I call it, the shapes are lovely and in proportion. With the full length body sketches, I think these are nicely done, I also like how the model you had to draw wasn't perfectly skinny, the proportions are all fine and you show skill when drawing each of the poses. I also like the last one, it must be good practice to do a drawing like that with no features just lines showing how the body curves. Very nicely done.

14. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

I'll try to refrain from posting too many drawings of a similar type, but I just gotta post this one:

(Nude croquis again, you have been warned)
    http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/237/f/a/another_40_min_croquis_by_gultigargar-d47rwx8.png

So I was just drawing along as usual, and then my teacher passes by and just goes "Eeeyy, Martin! *Thumbs up*"

(For referrence, he is a Russian who said "Those who are weak should be killed" as a joke example of why you should use your eraser if you have a weak composition - so it's not too often we see him like that.)

We've moved on from doing feet to doing legs and feet. Hooray!

Nudity again. Not quite sure if this falls into NSFW territory, but I'm linking just in case:
    http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/242/0/d/legs_and_depth_by_gultigargar-d48ay6i.png

While this is hardly perfect (left foot is odd, can't get torso area right), I was praised for clearly showing depth in this one.

15. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

You have shown depth and you have done it well. The shading is very good and does make the drawing seem more 3D. The only thing that slightly bothers me is the look of the right shin, I don't know if it's just me but it just looks very thin in comparison to her body.

To me the torso looks fine, the left foot may seem a little off due to it's angle and the fact you can't make out toes. Although, very good job.

16. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

I think the "thin-look" is more because of me not making enough contrast between the lines of the left and the right leg, and my camera blurring stuff. I tried to make an approximation as to how it actually looks. I guess it might be a little thin, but not too far off, imo.
    [​IMG]

The "shading" you mentioned isn't actually shading, but I'm still not very good at it, so I can see why shading is the word that comes to mind. They're actually supposed to be more like "modeling-lines", which show the form. I forgot to take a picture, but my teacher erased most of the ones I did on the right thigh and showed me how they should look. Some of the ones he did I had captured previously, but a lot of them I didn't.

Anyways, it's kind of hard to explain, but try taking a look at something like this:
    http://pietamichelangelo.com/Michelangelo Drawing.jpg
    The lines are not there to create shading, but to show the form. Shading does, of course, appear as part of it, when done correctly, but shading is not what you have in mind when you draw those lines.

17. Gultigargar Hollow Bastion Committee

Haven't had much free time recently, but I had some now, so have a hand:

[​IMG]