(dubadubdub.)

Discussion in 'Archives' started by XSoraxKairiX, Jun 26, 2007.

1. XSoraxKairiX Merlin's Housekeeper

The title is pretty much self-explanatory, that is; if you get the pun correctly. Yes; thanks to our staff at kh-vids.net, I have created my official dubs of the Roxas and Axel scene on top of the clock tower in Twilight Town and the "fun talk" of Xigbar and Zexion. Both are from Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix. These took a long time to make for they are my first dubs. Please; do enjoy.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dCEToyWvDBo

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=YDzg_-UIoao

2. The Soul-Eater Merlin's Housekeeper

Definitely one of the lower-grade fandubs I've seen. Er...no offense or anything; I have been known to possess extremely high standards. There are a few things I'd like to point out, though.

- The acting definitely needs work. The voices are too monotonous, and they mumble way too much. It kind of works for Zexion, but under no circumstances should Xigbar of all people sound so...boring.

- The voices themselves could use some improvement. Some of them (Axel, for example) seemed like they were trying too hard to sound like there in-game selves, while others (like Vexen, or Xigbar to a slightly lesser extent) didn't seem to try at all.

- I don't know where you got those translations, but they need work, too. Roxas' "I want to go back to how it was," for example. A more accurate translation would be something like "I'm going back to my original self." He's talking about how he's merging with Sora, not about wanting to go home or something.

- Just as important as translation is localization. The lines need to flow more, and sound more natural. Straight translations just sound stilted. For example, Axel's opening lines. Something like "So, you're finally awake. *pause* No...maybe you're still snoozing" would fit Axel's style of speech more and help convey his emotions better. Or Xigbar's "wise yet bothersome leader." WTF is that? Something like "the old man" or "that senile old coot" sounds much better, especially for something said by Xigbar.

- Volume problems: Vexen was nearly inaudible.

You do show promise, though. It's not that your work itself was of poor quality, it's just that it lacks some of the fundamentals. I think "practice" is the key word here.

3. XSoraxKairiX Merlin's Housekeeper

Like I say, 'Like you can do any better.'

Okay, the third reason pissed me off the most because maybe you should 1) Undertsand Japanese in the first place. 2) Watch the movies that they posted on here. They are translated the same way. Xigbar does say "wise, yet bothersome." I said exactly what I understood in Japanese. I didn't have to improvise with stupid lines. "old coot." Who knows? It might not be Xigbar, I might be wrong. It might be Demyx for pete's sake.

I bet if I saw your dub, they couldn't be any better. I did this within hours of work and it's my first, of course I thought it sucks, but when I heard people's opinions on other websites, they thought it was good. So I thought different, but like you can do any better when you have a microphone that attached to a headphones and a stupid computer that only has Windows Movie Maker on it.

4. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Firstly, you don't know if he can do any better.

Also, what's wrong with a little criticism? I don't see anything offensive in what The Soul-Eater wrote. Rather, it looks like you're looking for nothing but praise--and that's just not how it always works.

Personally, I see some merit in what he said, and even in the case if he's not any better than you, it still doesn't mean you shouldn't try to follow his tips to get better. I think they could help you a whole lot.

And just for the record, it's obvious that you just read the subtitles as is without taking into account the context. But that can only be understood if you actually *know* what Roxas is saying in the raw Japanese. I don't think you do as well as you say you do, and is why in general, both your dubs are monotonous.

Firstly, Roxas says "Motto ni... motto no jibun sugata ni modoru da na."

The inflection of Roxas' 'da na' should've forced you to speak Roxas' line as if he's expecting what's to come, instead of stating it plain as it was in your dub. As well, you said ".. go back to how it was." I think you misread the subtitle because it says "go back to how *I* was." -- and in that context, *I* is referring to Sora.

Oh, one more thing.

Xigbar describes Ansem as "Ossekai na kenja." 'Ossekai' describes someone who's 'nosy' or someone who 'meddles', and kenja meaning 'wise man'. That is why I can see why they decided to translate it as "wise, yet bothersome". The word "kenja" for the most part, is meant to esteem an individual, and isn't really meant to have negative connotation. That's why even though literally, Xigbar calls Ansem a "meddling wise man", by using 'kenja', Xigbar's choice of wording needs to be emphasized, and thus the "wise, yet troublesome". This way, we understand that Xigbar is praising Ansem's wisdom, but addressing his interventional personality.

I don't mean to call your bluff, but if you really understood the Japanese, you would've known that bothersome isn't the most accurate translation, but it makes the most 'sense'.

Your voice acting doesn't lack clarity, since I won't blame you for the mic problems or the absence of a professional studio, however, because I do believe you just read off subtitles, you lack a deeper understanding of just what you're saying.

Try to be more open with reviews; in the end, we're all trying to help.

EDIT: And it is Xigbar. Xigbar is the only Organization XIII member (other than Xemnas) who met Terra, Aqua and Ven.

5. Twilight_Wish Destiny Islands Resident

Well...honestly, I think that you didn't do that bad translating, but the dubs sound very monotone, like you didn't put much feeling or emotion into it.

Don't take reviews the wrong way either. No one's saying that it's utterly horrible or that you completely failed. They're just trying to give you some advice to help you improve.

6. Soushirei 運命の欠片

Just clarrifying: those aren't his translations. He simply used the script from the subtitled videos supplied from this site.