Traditional Art Eileen Galvin

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Sanda, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

Yeah, so not exactly pertinent to KH but I haven't posted here in a while so... :3

Ok obviously not finished, but I think I'll work on other stuff for a while.
    This one is really just a practice for my future drawings, it was my first attempt @ her and no reference picture was used. (Hence why the sling is wrong and her corset bit is kinda off)
    CnC not really nessicary, I know what sucks about this one :'P (as in basically everything seeing as it is a first try...)
    But any encouraging words or stuff you'd like to see done differently might be nice~
    Oh and um, for those of you not familiar with Miss Galvin, she is severely disproportional so that bit is at least accurate :)

[​IMG]

2. Cocohints "Up to now, the most discussed topic is global war

*after doing a search on google, apparently she's from Silent Hill*

Hmm, yes - as it currently is now you make her seem a little bit younger than what she appears like on screenshots. What I definalty want you to do is to make her shoulders seem like they're actual joints and not just follow a line from the neck. Meaning, draw an orb where the shoulder is. It'll become much better. :3 Also, her hips start to shape a bit too low, they won't start down there - if you think the lenght of half the arm, that is about the same hight the hips would be placed. And don't forget to shape the choker (I think that's what it's called) so that it follows the shape of the neck, make it more round like instead of flat.

Other than that, she looks pretty decent. :> I'd want to see you continue with this drawing.

3. .Kairi. Kingdom Keeper

The shoulders are off proportion wise, one is smaller than the other. Extending them out and making them not as sloped, more of a joint like cocohints said would help there. The sling looks too far near the edge of the shoulder, move it up towards the neck more. Her hand in the sling looks like it's been turned outwards, the thumb would be pointing towards the body, not down. The line of her body is a bit off, making it straighter would look good. Her hips are quite low, they would start around where the corset ends.
    Finding a good referance picture of her would help so much with drawing it, make sure you have one if you plan on redoing it.

4. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

Thanks you two :)
    Nice comments!
    Goodness, I just noticed, she has NO hips. Only thighs...ohhh dear~

5. UtakoYeow Merlin's Housekeeper

wow, thats really great, your understanding of the anatomy is uber!

6. Sexy Sheva Banned

I absolutly LOVE the picture

but you might wanna make the outlines of her skin a bit more visible, or darker, because there are some parts where i can't see her body lol

Other than that, I love the figure she has :3

7. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

Wow, thanks guys xD!!!
    Glad people liked it. It really is craptastic, so I decided to make a new improved one...
    Oh and a Demon Nurse too :3
    Thanks to everyone who commented btw I appreciate your input and stuff<3!
    Both of these were done w/o reference picture, hence the lack of a head for Eileen D:! I'll add it in at some later point, but for now I'm working on body stuff only~
    Enjoy? ;_;
    Any comments are welcome, you guys always do have interesting points which I appreciate hearing!
    (er reading...)

*Edit*
    Wow these scanned in horribly. I can assure you they do look a little better when you're looking at them in person. Yikes...

Eileen again:
    Done @ an angle...just kinda worked out that way I guess :')
    [​IMG]

The Demon Nurse's proportions are inentionally like this. I know very well that the ratio of her leg length to her torso is completely off. And I also omitted shading on purpose too. It's just the style I use when drawing them so, just figured I'd mention that :'P She is pre-SH, so shes not like all gross and stuff yet...And the post is kinda odd too, but once again I wanted it to look like this: peaceful+violent. You know, the innocent face mixed with that smoking revolver is a pretty stark contrast, so....
    [​IMG]

8. Sexy Sheva Banned

I really love the 2nd one

On the first one, I think the cast looks a little too big for her arm, but i haven't seen a real picture of her, so I don't really know, but hope that helps :D =]

9. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

Thank you! Her cast is pretty big, although I think you make an excellent point that I oversized it D:
    It's maybe a little too long as well...I'll have to work on that. Thanks!

As for the second one, thank you! There was something about it I really liked too. Even though it's so simple, I feel like it's expressive at the same time. I love how her face came out. Part of the struggle with the demonic nurses is that their faces are hard to get just right, especially with the rectangular blood pattern around their lips. Since I have yet to practice that, I decided to just make her not evil.
    Anway, I like it a lot too, which is really rare for me...

10. Sexy Sheva Banned

What I really love about the 2nd one is her hair and how it flows. And also the body's curves and moves. It looks like she is about to fall to her knees, and the smoking gun makes me think that she was in a fight or something, and looks injured or very tired.

Its very good everything fits perfectly.

11. The Great Gatz Chaser

Awesome =D You're a great artist! :noworries:

12. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

New one; not pleased with this one at all. Used a reference picture, and it TOTALLY shows. Hence my strong objection to using them; the drawing always ends up looking fake, posed and very uncreative.

First time I've attempted a TRUE bubblehead; not happy with the over all look. Nothing really stands out as terrible but it just doesn't mesh together nicely in the end.
    I will have to try this again, seeing as I plan on cosplaying one of these gals...
    Anyway, hopefully I'll get a better one up soon~

[​IMG]

13. The Great Gatz Chaser

0_0 Amazing Sanda.

The shading is amazing. Just everything about it is. Oh and is she holding a pipe?

Great Job!​

14. Sexy Sheva Banned

This picture is very great

and don't worry about references, thats great hun =D
    It's good that you can take something and make it your own =]
    *huggles* I'm proud of your art and i really enjoy seeing it =)

15. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

This one is from quite a while ago~
    Never posted because it's completely screwed up...it's like a bubbleheadxmovie nurse hybrid of sorts xD;
    [​IMG]

And then there is this one. I kinda rather like it myself :3 Did it last night while I was on the phone...This is my first attempt at a 'true' demon nurse.
    [​IMG]

Got a skanky Cynthia one in progress; gotta finish the skirt+do the head...

16. .Kairi. Kingdom Keeper

This one's not bad at all, there are some proportions that can be fixed though. Her upper body could be straightened out more, you can still keep it bent sideways, just bring it up a small amount. It doesn't look like she has much of a neck, try extending it out. Her right shoulder is too pointy and small, bring it out some more and round it off. The right hand looks very stiff and flat. It would help to hold your hand the way you want it to look and draw from that, so it creates a more natural look. OnThe top of her other hand can be made smaller so it doesn't look too big as well. Her legs should be slightly smaller towards the top to stay in line with the rest of her leg.

This drawing is very flat, shading would add so much to it. You seem to have started some shading on her head, continue it down the side there. Her arms are too skinny, make them larger to fit with the body. The shoulders can also be wider to fit as well. The hand thats holding the pipe looks turned in awkwardly, it would be the other way around, with the thumb and fingers showing. Her legs are turned in too much, bring them out more. The right ankle looks bunched up, straighten it out to fit the line of the leg.

The shoulders can be wider, and the arms larger. The elbow is too high on the left arm- normally the upper arm is about the same length as the lower arm leading toward the wrist. You can also make the grip of her hand smaller so it looks tighter. The other arm is too stiff and straight, bring it in closer to the body, let it bend a little at the elbow and the wrist. You can also make this hand longer and not as curved in. The legs are once again almost too turned in, bring them out slightly. Also watch out for bunching up the ankle area. This also is very flat, add shading and such to it to fix that.

17. The Great Gatz Chaser

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Awesomeness. You just keep getting better ^_^ And that first one was awesome for your first one. If I was drawing something for the first time it would look like Ditto. lol I can't draw worth crap but I can appreciate good art. :)

18. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

Wow, um, first of all thank you for taking the time to analyze each one 0_0! You are truely great...Jeebus I still can't believe how much effort you put forth. Some of the like, mishapenness is inentional just FYI. These gals are supposed to look pretty unhuman. But yea still getting the human figure down. Before these, I have never drawn anything remotely humanoid. These are my first people ever...

Oh and a note about the shading:
    My scanner doesn't pick up on diddly squat. These (believe it or not) were actually shaded rather heavily in places and it just doesn't show up. They are so much darker when you can look at them in front of you. I think I will try to 'overcompensate' for my scanner's fail by shading more. Hope it turns out okay...

Would you maybe mind looking at the 2nd two from the first page? I wanna know your thoughts on the style of them. It can be brief, like a few words or something. If not, that's fine too.

Thanks sweetie, I seriously cannot tell you how much I appreciate it!

Well off to the drawing board again...I'm feeling a bubblehead or demon comming up. Possibly finishing Cynthia's body at least.

19. .Kairi. Kingdom Keeper

^.^
    Try setting your scanner to a different resolution, then it might pick up more of the shading and such.

This one's improved from the first. You have the right idea for the shoulders, but they can be a bit larger. The cast also looks a little too big, making it smaller would look better. The right shoulder need to be brought up a little, in line with where the strap of her shirt is. Make sure that the curve of her hips are even, and one isn't bigger than the other. Maybe next time she can have a head...?
    Her eyes seem too far from eachother,bring them in some more. The shoulders can be wider here as well, and try not to make them as sloped downwards. The arms are a bit too skinny, making them larger would help there. Also make sure that the arms are the same length, the right arm seems longer than the left. The left hand is a bit too stiff, losen it up, give it more of a relaxed look. The revolver can be made a bit smaller, so more of the right hand can be shown. The hips are a bit uneven here, make sure they start at the same spot and curve out evenly. Turning out the legs slightly would make them look more natural, and making the shoe larger near the ankle would even out that.

I hop this isn't more CnC than you wanted :unsure:

20. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

It's fine by me! Like I said, I really appreciate it... As usual, some of the things you mention are incidental, some on purpose so...I'll go to work on what I'm doing wrong ;_;
    Wow, I cannot thank you enough. Seriously :D!!
    Anyway, the scanner tip was fantastic! Dunno how to do it, but I will try my best~
    Thanks again :]

EDIT:
    A new one I just did in an hour...
    First time I did one from the back, so of course it didn't turn out like I wanted it to ;__;
    [​IMG]