Kingdom Hearts II Final Pete Battle in Timeless River

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX' started by Amaury, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

For the longest time, I've been wondering why sometimes when the scene changes during the final present Pete battle in Timeless River, Donald and / or Goofy appear to take damage.

Two of the three reasons are logical:
    • Past Pete falls, causing little damage to them
    • Cannons in the Lilliput scene cause knock-back, but no damage

However, the third one, which is another no damage hit, seems to be if they're near present Pete, hence why it doesn't always happen, but I don't understand why.

Watch and pay close attention to Goofy from 7:44 to 7:50 (you'll notice he goes up in the air):

Most of the time you can't see Donald or Goofy during scene changes, so I could never tell where it was from, but now I can and don't understand why.

I should note it also affects past Pete.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

I had never noticed that before. Nice find!

Anyway, it could just be a glitch that never got noticed? Perhaps the scene change actually does damage to you if you're close to Pete? If you pay attention to Pete, he does this kind of Neo breaks free of the Agent Smith dog pile thing, and then proceeds to the curtain fall. It's not just Goofy who gets pushed back, but also Sora (Although for some reason Sora doesn't take damage.)

So it could just be a glitch.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

If it is something off, it'd likely be more of a bug. A glitch is rare thing, while a bug is a consistent thing. However, I doubt it is and there has to be a reason behind it, something like what you mentioned.

4. Explode Who?!

It looks to me like they made that animation a no damage knock-back attack, so that Donald and Goofy can't just attack him relentlessly. If you notice when the scene changes, you always get sent back several steps so that you have to run towards Pete, but Donald and Goofy stay in the same spot relative to Pete as they were before the transition (unless the arena's size change would send them outside the world, like in the last transition). They probably didn't want them too close to Pete, in part so they don't block the frame when he's changing arenas, but also so they aren't wailing on him non-stop.

Sora stops moving and gets invincibility in that time, but Donald and Goofy can still move. Not totally sure why. Maybe they didn't want the battle to feel like it totally dies in that moment. So they had the other AIs moving around and grunting, so the battle doesn't lose its feeling of momentum. It's just a guess though. Maybe for some reason they had trouble teleporting Donald and Goofy back with you, so they used a work around.

Or since that your attacks are the only ones that can make the scene transition happen, they can only account for what you're doing at the time. Notice that first Sora's in frame, then the camera pans up so he's out of frame, then when it pans back down Sora's gone. But since they don't know where Donald and Goofy are relative to the camera, they didn't want to risk seeing them disappear into thin air.

There's a number of possible reasons for something like that.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  5. Amaury Legendary Hero

If you also looked at the 2.5 HD Remix video above, I guess Donald got deflected far away enough when he attacked Pete in his fetal position that he wasn't close enough to Pete to receive knock-back.

They actually do stop moving, but as can seen, they have no invincibility. See 30:46 in the 2.5 HD Remix video above and you'll notice Goofy just stood there. He also didn't receive knock-back, so, like Donald, I guess he got deflected far away enough after attacking Pete in his fetal position.

Yeah, most of the time when Donald, Goofy, or both Donald and Goofy receive knock-back, they can't be seen (they're behind Sora, etc.), so for the longest time until I found some videos with them in the scene changes, I thought the curtain falling was causing the knock-back. However, no, that wasn't it, especially considering they're knocked back right before the curtain falls. They were still close enough to Pete, as you said, to receive knock-back, they just couldn't be seen.

I think your reasons probably make the most sense.

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

Just so there's not a lot of unnecessary video embeds, I've updated the OP with a better quality video.