Question Help with learning to use GIMP 2?

Discussion in 'Help' started by childofturin, Feb 13, 2009.

?

How good are you with GIMP?

1. I am a fricken GOD!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am pretty good.

30.0%
  3. I get by.

10.0%
  4. Meh. Average.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not too good.

10.0%
  6. Pretty terrible.

10.0%
  7. What's GIMP?

40.0%
  1. childofturin Why?

Ok, so I just got the latest version of Gimp around 2 weeks ago, and... I'm pretty much completely lost. I have never used anything remotely similar. The most complex program I use is Vegas, and for images, I use ms paint. I would LOVE it if anyone had some really good tutorials or links to them for the ABSOLUTE beginner with GIMP.

By good, I mean, using Youtube as an example, sound (a live person actually telling me what to do), well-aligned video (so the sound and video are synchronized), and informative for those who know absolutely nothing about the tools, layers, options, rendering, and artistry involved. For instance, like Montagical on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/montagical

Poll for lulz.

2. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

the way i learned everything about gimp was with trial and error.
    i mean, there are still things i cant do yet. but what you should do is try out an effect to see what it does, then try to use it to do what you want it to do. also it will help if you download a few brushes.
    just do that and you will eventualy get good enough to do sigs like mine. (yes, i made mine.) i only use sigs and avies that i made myself...

3. childofturin Why?

Hmmm, I'm pretty good with trial and error. Where did you get the brushes, how easy are they to install/use, and what can they do?

4. Sorcerer_Jenkins Twilight Town Denizen

i'm taking a class on how to use it, and i think i'm pretty good, if you have questions, e-mail me: gothicwarprince@yahoo.com.

btw, here's a little something i did: [​IMG]

5. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

Here
    http://www.kh-vids.net/showthread.php?t=4395

you just copy and paste them into the brushes folder in the gimp data{sorry that is so vague, i dont remember all of the folder names} just find the folder named brushes...
    ti use them just go to click the brushes tool and you will be able to choose from the ones you have.
    a minor disclaimer though, if you have a lot of brushes and/or fonts your gimp will take longer to load...

6. childofturin Why?

So... where do I put fonts? Which folder?

7. Master of the Onyx Flame Hollow Bastion Committee

those actually go into the fonts folder for your computer
    the font folder should be in the windows folder on your hard drive. if you dont use windows then i dont know...