Question Help

Discussion in 'Help' started by Guardian Soul, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

I'm trying to improve on my tag making and one of the things that I'm trying to improve on is smudging. Does anybody have any good smudging tips that they can give me or can you possibly point me in the direction of a good smudging tutorial? Please and thank you in advance.

Also I'm not sure if I'm suppose to put this here. Feel free to move it to wherever it needs to be at.

2. Jade Traverse Town Homebody

I find that smudging tutorials helped me very little when learning the actual techniques. It's all really subjective since there are so many styles of smudging. It's all just experimenting with brush shapes, sizes, brush strokes, et cetera.

It's an extremely versatile tool that you can use for so many things, and you can get so much out of. There really is no one way I can tell you to use it that'll always give you the best result.

3. Misty gimme kiss

_MOVED

to Graphics Tutorials/Help.

But anyway, I have to agree with Jade here: smudging is something that you learn with practice. I do have a few tips though.
    Circle brush is my personal favorite, if you play with the settings just right.
    Try to keep your strength 95-99%, then sharpen/blur as needed to create depth. Using a strength under that tends to make the colors smush together in a rather unflattering way.
    Make your own brushes! There are easy tutorials to teach you how to do this, and playing with their settings can be very unique.
    Vary the size of your brush constantly. I like to start out with some rough, large diameter (about 15-25px) just to get a bit of shape, then I go in with a smaller brush (3-10px) to add little details.