No Thanks Hide Feedback & Assistance to Guests

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by Amaury, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaury Legendary Hero

So one of our members on KH-Flare made this suggestion, and I was thinking this could be a good idea for KH-Vids.

@Misty prefers people don't post CSS here when making suggestions related to styling, which I agree with, but sometimes people do it without realizing, and if the forum were hidden to guests, it wouldn't be as "big a deal," I guess is a way to put it -- not saying it's not a big deal, of course, because Misty prefers people don't, I'm just saying that only registered members would be able to see it, so...

This would just be a simple matter of revoking access to guests in the node permissions. What do you guys think?

2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I don't really see how this is necessary.

3. Misty gimme kiss

Likewise. To do something like this would need a really compelling reason; I'm not of the mind that we should ever limit guest viewing. I don't really care if people "steal" suggestions, since they're hardly exclusive to this site, and there's a lot of important information in here that could help guests browse the site.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Fair enough. I just remember you don't like people posting CSS because people should ask for support on the official forum, I think is what you said, and thought hiding the section to guests would combat that a bit.

5. Misty gimme kiss

It's more complicated than that. For starters, most if not all of our styling code is either default Xenforo (since one develops off the default style) or mine/the staff's. I like to keep it that way. Obviously I can vet suggested CSS but it's easier to simply go about things the way I do them, because that's how everything else has been set up. That decision is for consistency and, in some cases, functionality. With CSS, there are a lot of ways to accomplish similar goals, some more valid than others, so just because one person suggests doing something via a margin adjustment doesn't mean that that's the best way to go about it. It's possible that that will conflict with other surrounding elements, create problems with responsive design, and so on. In addition, my point about keeping XenForo support and code on the XenForo support boards stands. Our team so far has been competent enough to fix whatever styling or code issues have cropped up (unless the fault of someone else, e.g. an add-on developer or a XenForo bug) and it's easier to reserve the right to fix it in whatever manner we see best, therefore making user suggestions extraneous. We appreciate that many of our users are tech savvy enough to understand things like CSS, Javascript, or how XenForo works, but when it comes to code, we'll take care of that.

In your line of thinking for this suggestion, however, keeping it on the XenForo support boards gives them ultimate control over what to show (and not show) to unlicensed members. Because owning a XenForo license has nothing to do with membership on KH-Vids, limiting guest viewing would have nothing to do with this problem.

Regardless, I'm going to go ahead and mark this as rejected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.