Limewire Help

Discussion in 'Technology' started by reptar, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Ok years ago my father removed limewire from my computer and now i have it again and i have no idea how to use it so anyone know how to use it?

2. cronoking Chaser

Quite easy. First, choose the category that you want to look for on the left, then insert the name of whatever you want. Once the search results come up, double click on the thing you want (the ones at the top have more sources and download faster). Then it will download the item to the designated download folder and you should have whatever you were looking for~

3. W7F King's Apprentice

Lulz, I'm using it right now. They've made quite a few changs to it recently, however they were small change. But since we're talking about years ago, it must look like an entirely different program. Well, when you first open up the program, you should notice on the far left of your screen, a panel, and near the top of that panel, six clickable bars.

1.) All Types: Only use this if you're not sure of exactly what you're looking for. Typing in a band or musical artist's name, for instance, will pull up songs, music videos, and random crap that probably has nothing to do with the person you searched. When searching for something, the more specific, the better.

2.) Audio: Easily one of the most used. It has a great many options available. You can search for the title of an audio file (example: Hearts Burst Into Fire), whether it be a song, or a stupid one-liner from Family Guy someone uploaded. Some of the other things you use to find what you need are:

Artist: Search by the person/band who made the song/audio file you are looking for. Example: Elvis Presley.
    Album: The title of the Album of the song you are looking for.
    Genre: A drop down list of lots of different music genres if you're looking for something less specific, but that you find "easy listening".
    License Type: One of the few filters I found useless, only due to the fact I dun kno what it means.
    More Search Options: Checking the box next to this will provide you with more search options, obviously.
    Year: The year the song was made.
    Length: The amount of time it takes to hear the audio file from beginning to end.
    Language: I'd think its self explanatory. What language do u wanna hear coming from your speakers?
    Bitrate: The bitrate of the song. If you know the bitrate of the song, you've got problems.
    Comments: Comments left by the person who uploaded the file. Doubt you'll ever use this.
    Copyright: Copyright date of the song/whatever.

3.) Images: Looking for some pics your friends are sharing? Funny pictures? Type in the title, description, the artist (a painting, drawing, sketch etc. will most likely have one of these), select the License Type from the drop down list, or type it in yourself.
    WARNING: Without a filter turned on, some of the images available to be downloaded may be explicit. And, if you're downloading something by an author who isn't registered, or who you don't know, the information provided by them may be incorrect. You might be opening something you don't wanna see. Believe me, I know. An unfriendy virus/trojan or three might also accompany your download. A firewall should be active at all times while Limewire is running.

4.) Video: The filter options are moe or less the same as audio, however, after downloading the video file (a music video, an episode of Family Guy, wutev.), to view it, you are going to need something along the lines of Windows Media Player, or Acer Arcade. Something that can actually play video files. There are a few new options provided with the video filter.

Type: Select the type of video from the drop down list, like a music video, or DVD Movie.
    Rating: Is the video you're downloading rated G, or R?

Now, there are other options to choose from if you check the More Options, however, most people find them useless. I do. Also,
    WARNING: Without a filter turned on, some of the videos available to be downloaded may be explicit. And, if you're downloading something by an author who isn't registered, or who you don't know, the information provided by them may be incorrect. You might be opening something you don't wanna see. Believe me, I know. An unfriendy virus/trojan or three might also accompany your download. A firewall should be active at all times while Limewire is running.

5.) Documents: Looking for a report to turn in to your teacher? I'm kidding, I wouldn't trust any report unless I wrote it myself. I've never used this filter before. Sorry for the lack of info. I could go exploring for a bit, however, my fingers are getting tired. If anyone has read this far, then your eyes must be sore.

6.) Programs: I don't reccommend using this. At all. Unless you're downloading something from a friend, dun use it. Or, unless you hve A REALLY GOOD Anti-Virus program/Firewall.

After searching for something, your input will pop up near the top of the screen, and hopefully you will begin to get some hits. After searching under Audio>Artist - Aerosmith, I got 193 hits. Now is a good time to use some additional filter options that you may have noticed have popped up. Look to the left, and you will see you can again specify Genre, Album, Artist, etc. However, you options are based on what your original serach provided. After Searching Aerosmith, I could look uner albums, and then select Armaggeddon from the list, and only songs from the Album Armaggeddon will show up. You can always go back to the full list by clicking All at the top of the ist of your options under the sub heading (In this case, Albums).

I know that's a lot. Now then, for the interface. t the top left corner of the screen, higher up then your filter, you will see a few tabs you can click on.
    Selecting Search will allow you to start a search (or another one).
    Selecting Monitor will bring up a list of anyone who's downloading something from your Library. More on that in a mo'. You can always highlight the person by clicking on it, and then selecting Kill Upload to prevent them from finishing the download. Sometimes, when others are downloading stuff from your library, it can slow down the bitrate of yourdownloads.
    Selecting Library will bring up all of the files you have downloaded, or are sharing with others. Push the plus sign next to Saved files to bring down some catagories. They should be familiar, they are Audio, Programs, Videos, Documents, and Images. Highlight one of them to show specifically that type of file. Highlight Saved Files, to show everything in your library.

Now then. You've downloaded some songs? Wanna listen to them? Ok, go to your library, double click the song, and Limewire will play it for you. How nice. But, the average person will want to have a playlist of songs. I know I do. So, highlight the song you want to play first by clicking it once. Then, you should notice a clickable icon that says Enqueue. It will add a song to your list. Repeat until you have all the songs you want. In the bottom right corner, you will notice check-boxes, right next to the words Play Options. Checking Continuous will make the songs continuously play, down the list. Checking Shuffle while having Continuous checked will make Limewire automatically, randomly select one of the songs on your playlist. To remove a song from your playlist, highlight it, and then select remove song near the bottom of your screen. It only removes the song from the playlist, it won't actually "delete" the song. You can always add it again later.

Hope it helps. Sorry it was so long and drawn out.

4. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Yes but everytime i go onto it there is an orange bar saying something about a lime being there

5. Darkandroid Gets it Together

Limewire is an illegal program, so no talk of it will be said here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.