Logical Religion...

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Zandyne, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zandyne King's Apprentice

To be utterly blunt this was spurred on by the Evoluton vs Creationism debate...however near the end (but not before going in a couple circles) the debate devolved into a seperate debate about how the Christian Bible was not credible.

-Mainly between myself (a handful of the Evolutionist supporters) and the Creationists.

So this brings us to the start of this (hopefully, unique to this forum and correct in format) thread.

Logical Religion.

I am not a particuliairly religious person and this should be fairly apparent, but I often ask myself, "How can these people have so much faith in a religion?"

Surely there must be a logical explaination as to why people (of all walks of intelligence believe it or not fellow cynics) choose a set of doctrines to dedicate their faith to. Is there revolutionary logic in a religion that people such as myself, "outsiders", do not see? State your logic in why one book is MORE trustworthy or LESS trustworthy than another. But keep in mind that this is NOT a converter convention. (IE: CHANGE FAITH OR SUFFER, and other phrases of this ilk)

Here is a quote to start it off from the Evo vs Cre debate before my debator 'quit' on the off-topic debate (and hence why this thread is being created so that the debate can continue):
    Summary:
    Yays of Religion should be able to counter-point or logically explain the things that the
    Nays of Religion bring up as contradictions.
    Specific or otherwise obscure examples are recomended to have quotes from the appropriate doctrine.

2. Repliku Chaser

Here are some of my thoughts on it, though admittedly on 2 hours of sleep in 2 days, we'll see how well this comes out and later I look at it like 'wtf'.

Religion is an absolute. You are not supposed to question religion as it tells a person how to live, what to eat, what morals you will have or else you will go to some fiery pit, etc. Most religions were developed to keep societies in line and to believe in a deity in a supposed society is to fit in and belong. Religion is also about letting go of reason to have a leap of faith that whatever you were told, it's true.
    - Well, of course, since the person should 'know' what they are talking about, you'd hope that there is something on their side to debate. However, as we witnessed in the other room, there isn't because all there is told is that you need a leap of faith and to just believe in the book and that's that. Many also go off on tangents with comments so out of context that they just look plain ignorant; even if they truly are not.

Philosophy is the study and analysis of the metaphysical and physical. It questions what we know and can take a person further in mental development just for 'thinking' things through even if no answer is established. There is nothing forced with philosophy or nothing that has to be accepted.
    - Someone who is philosophical and examines things in a fair observant nature can be a joy to talk to, even with differing opinions. Regardless of if they may have a backbone religion somewhere they tout, or whether they are atheist, they still are very open minded and will hear things out. Philosophical people may be very spiritual and thoughtful, or critical on the life around them.

So for me, if someone is not a zealot that doesn't know their material or anyone else's, I'm all for the conversation and will of course listen to evidence. I'm not a fan of Organized Religion but it doesn't mean I don't enjoy talking to people that pay attention, don't gloss over things or ignore what people say deliberately and then yell 'praise the Lord!'. That doesn't win a debate.

3. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

You ask why people have faith in something you think is not real?
    It is because you never lose faith in something you hold dear to yourself. Faith is how religion began and has not stopped or slowed down over time.
    Brining up logical religion. It is impossible. Relegion is based on faith and logic is based on proof, neither one can be put together to create a relegion.
    People believe in religion for multiple reasons, like helped change their lives, have grown up with it, wanting to believe.
    If antone has faith in something and someone else says that is wrong, its an insult to them, people take it badly and try to think up reasons why it is right and you are wrong, an example is when you talk of the bible.
    These are mainly my opinions though most of it is true, but without evidence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.