+:Lost Star:+, prologue and chapter 1

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Xendane, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Xendane Banned

Jammin' out in my office on my GEE-TAR!!!
    +:Lost Star:+
    +:Story of Haru Yurubasa:+

By Jason Haley, Leif Markus, and Ryu Kasakagi
    +:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:+

Prologue:

Humanity has always been seeking power. Whether it be from religions, magics, technological warfare advantages, or even special trinkets, they have always searched for a form of godliness.

Less than twenty thousand years ago when technology was turning from its bionic ways back to arcane, humans began to believe that the sky held limitless power, and the higher they went into it, the more they became gods. That is what caused the once peaceful city of Aeorana to be lifted into the sky to become what it is today: a supposed city of gods.

This, as one might expect, was not welcomed warmly by many people. Some formed rebellions that went against the idea of power in the sky, but all of them, save for one other rebellion force, were eliminated by the king's soldiers, shortly before the king was assassinated by his own son.

It was said that the rebels who escaped the massacre created a rebel faction known as the Star Brigadiers, claiming that they would attack from the stars of night to show humanity the horrid mistake they had made. Soon, the Star Brigadiers began to change. Evolve, if you will.

They evolved into an entirely different race.

And they named this race Daen.

But, further studies proved that the Daen people existed long before then, and became enraged at Humanity's attempt to rule the skies, skies that they, with their power, intelligence, and generosity, helped create. The Daen people, since then, had launched several attacks on the Lost Refuge, and for twenty thousand years, the Aeorana citizens have lived in fear of this enigmatic race.

Until that night...

One night, under a full moon, a star fell from the darkness of space, landing in the middle of Aeorana. Humans went to investigate this incident and found it wasn't a star at all; rather, it was a Daen boy, and no other knowledge was to be had of his identity, other than the name tattooed around his arm near the shoulder blade. But nobody could read the strange Daen transcript, and were forced to therefore inflict a new name upon the child:

Haru Yurubasa.

+:~~~~~~~~~:+

Chapter one: Haru Yurubasa

Haru's eyes, blissful and unaware, two pools of deep blue, opened as the sun sliced through the slots between the blinds, making strange shapes in the floating dust. A fan above revolved slowly, making strange shapes on the floor, those shapes running up the side of the low-sitting bed and onto his chest, his black shirt turning the golden rays gray.

He sat up, despite the fact that his head felt like lead and complained with stinging pains as he lifted it off the pillow and into the air. His feet swung down to the floor from the foot of the bed as he slowly turned upward into a sitting position. He surveyed his dark and cluttered room. Then, with tired slowness, he pushed himself off the bed and onto his feet, then walked to the old oaken door and pushed through it with ease.

Haru walked out into the living room. It wasn't very roomy. There was a coffee table, a couch, a small television set sitting on top of an even smaller cabinet, and just behind the couch was a table with two chairs around it. Off in the corner was an antique 15th century sword that had been salvaged through the thousands of years afterwards. It still looked as new as it had when it was forged.

He didn't stay long, just long enough to sit down and have a piece of (burnt) toast, then left the house and into the city streets.

Aeorana was known as the Floating Kingdom, and it wasn't hard to see how it got its name. The city itself was huge, a megalopolis for trade communities and banking. It was built way before mankind had a natural grasp on magic, and when things turned to the technical age, so did the city. There was a monument that was never touched that Haru enjoyed hanging out by. He had no friends. People didn't even cast a glance his way. That was okay with him, he rather liked things to be quieter, and the time alone gave him a chance to experiment around with magic. Books and notes littered the floor in his room, all of them about Arcane and Metamagic, both of which were too great for man to ever harness, yet Haru seemed to be getting the hang of it.

Arcane was simple enough; it was the study of magic in its entirety, without any weapons at all. Sure, it used wands or staffs to channel the energy when needed, but otherwise, Arcane magic was purely the mind's control over the body, its energies, and the strength of those energies to alter the world around the user. It strained Haru's physical energy a bit to cast spells, but no other terrible repercussions ever came from using it. It was Metamagic that had him floored.

Metamagic was harder to explain than Arcane. Metamagic stepped outside of Arcanic magic and into a realm where ancient magics and technological advance formed a harmonious symphony of powerful energies that, when combined with the touch of a human, could mean life or death, depending solely on the intent of the user. Metamagic was accessed through any form of weapon made out of the Daen material, Meitsa, which, when translated into English, meant Moon Steel. Moon Steel got its name from a night under the full moon, when a Daen girl died, and because of the moon's effect on Daen people, her body disintegrated, but as her blood struck the earth, it spread out and became a new type of metal that was more abundant than Gold in its earliest days. At least, that was how the legend went.

Using Meitsa to channel arcanic magic into the weapon for a more devastating attack was the Daen people's specialty. Anybody who practiced it, however, was arrested on the spot and then assassinated, so Haru had to make sure that he was, in no way, able to be noticed. Hence his likeness towards being alone and hanging out near the monument nobody ever tried to change. Nobody ever went there, and there were no signs of human life ever existing near the area at all, so nature flourished. Given that Aeorana was the Floating Kingdom, obviously, its expansive countryside was lifted up with it, and that was where the monument was. It was thought to be a Daen monument from millions of years ago, but Haru disagreed, since it was thought that the Daen race was made when rebellious humans went into space and evolved into a new race altogether. Yet, history books stated that they existed long before the rebellion...

...That wasn't Haru's problem.

He rubbed his eyes as he looked out into the world, the sun casting a painful glare in the early morning. It was rather chilly yet, and Haru could feel it running through his arms like a cool shot of lightning that made him cringe and step back. The crisp air felt good, but he never expected the sudden stroke of chill it attacked him with. Again, he stepped out into the cold, but this time didn't recoil. He made his way to his usual spot, not realizing that he had forgotten his sword. He had his backpack, which held his hunting knife, however, and that would suffice for his practice with Metamagic.

What he didn't know was that he was being pursued...

~End of chapter 1~

+:Lost Star:+ is book three in the +~Hero~+ series, the first book, +~Hero~+, written by Jack Darren Reginald, Jr. I wrote many of the others, including +:Lost Star:+ and =+Pact of the Brotherhood+=. This one I had some help on, Leif helped me with the prologue and main character introduction, while Ryu did the visual art for it(which I found was really awesome). This is an entire group effort, and therefore, I don't take full credit for it.

By the way, this is a story that you may give a critique for, and comments, if you wish. Unlike some of my other stories, this one I feel could actually go somewhere, and I believe I could use some friendly advice.

2. R3c0Nzi13 Banned

OMG-ville, first WTF complex on the right.
    Yeah, you wrote most of them, save for the first book and this one, and I think I might have written Orion... I don't remember.

3. 9th Genesis Banned

Jason wrote the stories starting from Pact of the Brotherhood, then Lost Star, then Hero Genesis, then Neo Orion. I wrote Forever Dawn and Hero. Leif wrote Omega, and you wrote Orion and Returner.

Memory refresher for you, Emmet.

4. Xendane Banned

Chapter two: First Encounter

It wasn't long after Haru had gotten there that his notes and notebooks scattered across the ground while he practiced, and he'd occasionally stop and write something down.

"Day forty-five of Metamagic training: I think I'm getting better at it, but just to be safe, I'll keep going until I'm comfortable with using Metamagic. So far, it doesn't seem like it's draining me as much as when I first started, but I have a feeling that I might overdo it just a bit if I get too ahead of myself, so I'm taking things slow at the moment, and letting myself adjust completely first."

This transcript went into his log regarding his Metamagic training. Everything he wrote down eventually was compiled into one notebook containing all the information about whatever magic he was currently practicing. Granted, it was a fairly large notebook, but he had a fairly large backpack, so it didn't bother him as much. And that fairly large backpack was kept in a fairly large safe he had hidden under his bed. It was a system of protection that seemed to work out well for Haru.

A low chuckle gave away somebody who had been watching Haru. He grabbed his knife, flipped it to a reverse grip, and spun around, facing the spy. Surprisingly enough, he looked about Haru's age, quite young for spies in Aeorana. In fact, Haru was almost positive that spies and recon units were specifically recruited when they turned eighteen, and were then trained until they were thirty, and even then, they didn't go on their first missions until another five years had passed.

Haru guessed that this guy wasn't any sort of a spy. Judging from his looks, and the fact that he wasn't wearing any form of military gear, Haru guessed that the kid had been wandering by and stopped to watch him practicing. It wasn't too uncommon for somebody now and then to watch Haru practicing magic. And he didn't mind, either, so long as they didn't bother him. Haru would never have known that he had been followed, had this certain somebody not revealed himself.

He looked the kid over. He had brown hair swept over one eye, and the back stopped at about where the nape of his neck was. He wore a simple white tee-shirt with blue swirly designs running up the right side, and that was followed by a pair of (somewhat) baggy blue cargo jeans. He wore black combat gloves on his hands, and there was an odd tattoo inscribed on his arm, kind of like what Haru had. Haru noticed that this kid was a bit lighter toned than he was, which wasn't unnatural, but not often seen. The kid was about average height for a sixteen-year-old, and he looked average in body build.

In other words, he looked a bit like a junior in high school.

Haru approached the kid. "Were you here the whole time?" he asked.

A smile, and then, "Yeah. I've been watching you practice Metamagic all day."

"Wait, how do you know it was Metamagic?"

"There are only three really important types of magic in Aeorana: Arcane, Illusion, and Metamagic. Arcane is the study of magic itself and all its workings; Illusion art isn't considered a magic, but more of a little play for magic shows or when you're on a recon mission and need to get past that security camera without getting caught. Metamagic uses weaponry made with Daen material and channels powerful magic through said weapon, empowering both the user and weapon of choice, and depending on the intentions of the user, the weapon can either heal or damage to inability to be repaired. Metamagic was created several thousand years ago, when the Daen people came into existence, and though many humans never use it, it's still employed as a type of defensive maneuver in martial arts training, especially Daen' Kahil, which is the Daen race's fighting style not commonly practiced among humans."

Haru was left in shock.

The kid folded his arms and added, "And judging by your use of Metamagic, Arcane, and Daen' Kahil in the same day, and the fact that we both share Daen tattoos, I'd have to say I've found the guy I'm looking for." Haru looked at the kid's tattoo. For some reason, since he was six, he'd had the strange ability to read the Daen language, something that no human could ever do. He immediately found the name of the person he was speaking to: Kirisol. Looking at his tattoo, he found that it read Harudal, which must have been his real name.

Personally, he preferred Haru better.

"So... Kirisol? Why exactly were you searching for me?" Haru asked. Kirisol pulled out a sheet of paper, then walked off. Before Haru could say anything, Kirisol replied, "Just read it and give me your answer!" then disappeared into thin air.

Haru looked down at the sheet of paper. He put it into his pocket, deciding he'd read it when he got home.

~End of Chapter Two~

Thus ends chapter two!

Now, quit bothering me! I'll get to chapter 3 when I get through with my other stuffs!

5. Xendane Banned

CURRENT UPDATES:

Regarding chapter 3:
    -Paragraphs 1-7 are nearly complete, and character developments are being put into play

Regarding other stuff:
    -I didn't think Dead Space would scare me so bad.
    -I made a keyblade(don't know why)out of an aluminum pipe, some foam, and sharp metal that I cut out of a scrap piece.
    (I don't know what Keyblade it is.)
    -FINALLY FINISHED FINAL FANTASY 12!!!
    -My idiot step brother stupidly drove his motorcycle through my wall again.

6. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Guys. I'll advise you to cut back on the spam. This much spam is bound to put other stories down.

As for the story itself.

I'd like to read the first ones. That said, the origininality of this is always a thumbs up, the magic system seems pretty detailed, and organized. Not just some out-of the-blue magic.

7. Xendane Banned

Hey, that's what I was shooting for, originality.

Organization... well, that's another story...

8. Xendane Banned

Well, I do, but it'll take me a bit to find them, and then I'd need to post a whole new thread, note the copyright issues, blah blah blah... I mean, 9th's already got some chapters of Hero up, why not read those while I find the first chapter of Pact of the Brotherhood or Returner or something?