Support Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome Pros and Contras

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, May 3, 2013.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

If anyone read this thread, you'd remember that Mozilla Firefox is deciding on a width less than what it needs to be and text wraps despite tables on XenForo having an auto-width feature that sets them accordingly.

Mozilla Firefox Table.png Google Chrome Table.png

To remedy this, I moved Google Chrome back then, which wasn't too big of a loss in terms of add-ons. Plus, its Adblock Plus had just gotten out of BETA and was comparable to Mozilla Firefox's. However, unlike Mozilla Firefox where it just freezes temporarily when I first open it after first turning on my computer in the morning, it seems to like to get these scattered temporary freezes throughout the day -- like maybe thrice or a little more a day. It also has some other small annoying issues with some options in the vBulletin Admin CP.

Mozilla Firefox also seems to have this issue of cutting off the document background of a vBulletin (I think) forum in a thread if the posts are long enough. KH-MF is so far where I've noticed this, but since those using Google Chrome don't notice the issue, it has to be Mozilla Firefox.

I moved back to Mozilla Firefox a little before 19.0 was released, because when I mentioned it over on vBulletin.org when I was still on 18.0.1 -- or 18.0.2 (I don't remember which) -- some user said he didn't see that issue with 19.0 BETA when I linked him to the thread mentioned in my first paragraph as an example, which gave me the impression it would be fixed in Mozilla Firefox 19.0. We are now on Mozilla Firefox 20.0.1, and, alas, it's still not fixed.

Now I'm thinking of moving back to Google Chrome because this XenForo table issue is just becoming annoying, but I don't know if it's better than Mozilla Firefox or equal to it, so I would like to read your guys' feedback and pros and contras for each one. I already have some below, but I need some from you guys to add.

Pros:
    • Doesn't continuously freeze.

Contras:
    • Issue with XenForo's tables' auto-width feature, causing text to wrap.
    • Forum document background issues with forum threads depending on the length of posts.

Pros:

Contras:
    • Continuous small freezing issues throughout the day.
    • Adblock Plus still not perfect. When the browser is first opened, you can see the advertisements and have to refresh your homepage or homepage tabs.
    • Several small issues that are too many to list.

I suppose I could also file a bug report with Mozilla Firefox.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

My only problem with Firefox is that my shockwave flash keeps crashing like always... but all my stuff are in it.. so when I am watching something in youtube or listening music I try to open it in chrome as I work in FF.

3. Sara Tea Drinker

I have been personally using Mozilla Firefox since I got off Internet Explorer. I don't like AdBlock because I know a lot of places that are using the ads for their only income for their work and it's denying them the money they need for doing the videos we watch. But that's another debate altogether.

I don't have any problems with firefox. The only big one I have is that it does crash my Adobe Flash, and for some reason it keeps on denying me use of Springboard, but I heard that's from my own computer. But I've had no virus problems lately and Firefox does keep me from worrying about unsafe sites. Sometimes it has to reboot, but it's very rare now and it's a good service. I recommend Firefox.

4. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

I still think the issue with the background cutting off isn't Google Chrome. I've never had any problems with Chrome. ACP, backgrounds, or just about anything. I'd have to say it may, more than likely, be a problem with your computer. I'd also try re-installing Chrome or updating. You have to remember that every time you have a problem with a program, it doesn't necessarily have to be the programs fault. I've actually not heard anyone else having similar problems with Chrome.

I see nothing wrong with Firefox. I like it, but Chrome is my preferred choice, unless I need something with specific or in-depth add-ons/extensions. I will admit that Firefox has a lot of better extensions than Chrome. Firefox is what I would call a preferred choice among the technological world. Like I said, in terms of capabilities for advanced aspects, I prefer Firefox. If I'm just browsing the web though, or playing a few games, I'll use Chrome.

Honestly, I've never had any problems with either programs, at least locally. The only times I've had problems were away from home on another system, and I wouldn't blame the program. I'm pretty sure those problems had to do with either the hardware or another program that needed updated/installed instead, like flash.

EDIT:

Sorry, thought you said Chrome. I've never viewed vBulletin with Firefox. Like I said, I use Chrome for browsing the web.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

I think you misread my post. I said the issue was on Mozilla Firefox, not Google Chrome. :)