My little sister....

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Vagineer, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

I know I shouldn't be really show you anything about my family besides what they look like, so I'll just make this statement short. My little sister has just turned from sweet, innocent girl who cheers people up easily, to a spoiled brat who shouts a lot, even at little things (Especially when she is disturbed from what she is doing.); she wants to have what she wants, and she even physically hurts her babysitters!

And the cause of that is video games.

Yup, you heard me. Video games. Fact is the only games that she plays are fashion games and Toontown (Which has been recently shut down). So why would she be this violent? I honestly have no idea. But I do know that I really need to do something about it. Come on, I was similar to her personality when I was her age (around 7-9) But compared to her? I'm just about 1/10 or 1/4 of her personality. And Never, and I mean never physically hurt anyone.

*Sighs.* I really need some help guys. I'm not sure how I can get her beck to her old personality...... I really need to do something about this. My parents spoil her too much, My parents never spoil me and my other sister like her. But seriously, Do any of you guys have any advise? I'm really starting to dislike her personality, and I'm not just the only one.....

2. Patman Bof

I think that' s a conversation you should have with your parents. You were unclear about that, but if they always let her royal highness get away with her tantrums with a mere slap on the wrist I doubt she' ll stop having them anytime soon.

Alternatively you could try and find where that sudden bad temper is coming from, maybe she has problems at school or something, but then again she might be able to confide with your parents more easily than with you, you' d know that better than me.

3. Pinekaboo Chaser

I think the first problem you have is that you're blaming video games while at the same time acknowledging that you have no idea why video games would be the cause of it. Video games don't make people violent; people choose how they act (for the most part at least), and so the blame is with her.

Now you may wonder why I bring this up when the help you need is with her current personality rather than the games she plays, but it's because in order to help somebody, you have to understand why they are that way. Video games, especially ones that aren't themselves violent in the first place, are not going to make your sister violent. That simply isn't how things work. It may be the influence of her friends causing her to change, or perhaps that's just how she's becoming naturally, of her own accord.

The best thing you can do, at least in my opinion, is to talk to your parents about how she acts. Banning her from games, or talking to her about it at her age, is most likely just going to make her react worse. At the end of the day though, sometimes kids just go through periods of change. You aren't going to get her to revert to her old personality, that's impossible. But you can accept that she is changing, and then take precautions to try to help steer her down a better route with that change.

Lastly though; it's important that you understand that, as much as you may want to change her for the better, and as much as you care about her well-being, her life and how it's shaped is going to be her choice. You can try to help her to make the right choices, but it's impossible to make choices for somebody. It could be that in ten years she'll be just as bad as she is now, or she could become the sweetest teen the world has ever known, but whatever happens will be down to her, and it's important to not go thinking that it's your responsibility to set her straight and blame yourself if you can't.

4. Patman Bof

I think he meant that whenever she' s playing video games if you dare interrupt her she goes all Hulk on you. At least that' s what I gathered from his post. And if that is indeed the case ...

... yes, she might resist at first out of pride, but keep throwing increasing punishments her way and chances are she' ll give up long before you do. In that case I' d devise something like :

First warning -> No more games for a week.
    Second warning -> No more games for a month.
    Third warning -> Erase her accounts/save files
    etc etc ...

That being said I agree with you when you say that it' s their parents' role to dish out punishments, not his, and that getting rid of her tantrums won' t necessarily get her back to naively smiling all the time.

5. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

People change, you said yourself that she is similar to you were just much worse and if you grew out of it then surely she will as well. Yes she may be worse but those differences could be down to a number of things, I don't think the spoiling will do much help either. I mean, she is 9 (?) and although it's a bit early, it's possible her hormones are changing and the beginnings of puberty are setting in? That's what happened to me when I was about that age.

It could also be influenced by toontown shutting down if she had a strong connection to it but I don't really know. Also, fashion sorts of games may make her more materialistic and teach her "YOU NEED MORE STUFF!" kind of thing, which then doesn't help the spoiled idea. The only way to see if the games are the cause or just a big influence is to see how she reacts without them and the punishment that Patman suggested may help there.