Traditional Art My new years resolution

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Ienzo, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

My new years resolution is to improve my art and so I am making this thread to not only document my progress but also remind me to keep at it and get tips for you guys!

These are drawn using a Wacom bamboo tablet and Photoshop.

December 2012:
    [​IMG]
    02/12/12
    This was when I got my tablet and so I just tested it out and this is what I made. It was a very quick sketch and I didn't make the background.

January 2013:
    [​IMG]
    04/01/13
    This was me practising foreshortening and hands... I probably spend more time drawing the hands than anythnig else on this- they are my absolute weak point and I need to just practise them a lot more. Also testing different ways of drawing hair.

[​IMG]
    06/01/13
    This was a test to see if I could do realism and I was happy with the eyes to begin with but I didn't use the right brushes for his skin and I don't know what is going on with his mouth xD So he's more just a test that I've learnt from.

Also, don't get me started on how his eyes are looking in separate directions xD

[​IMG]
    20/01/13
    So I sort of copied a picture of this just to test my realism skills. I'm hoping to try out different styles to see which one works best.

So, any CnC would be much appreciated as I am really hoping to improve, not because I want to do this for a job or anything, it's just a hobby.

2. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I am bumping this thread to show my delayed progress of last years resolution : D I feel I have at least somewhat got somewhere, I have mainly been learning the ways of painting digitally but I still hope to get better.

I tried colour realism but I used a photo as reference just to help with practicing, I hope to be able to do this from scratch at some stage : D anyway, CnC on any of it please.

May 2014:
    [​IMG]
    DEVIANT ART LINK

3. Hissora ahurhurhur.

Wow dude. Wow. In just over a year your improvement is phenomenal! Like wow congrats on the hard work! Here's my critiques:

-For digital painting, brush up on your color theory. You newest piece has a good photo realism vibe, but to really own it bring in some of those emotional colors. My favorite thing to do is bring in different color for shades and value (ex in a skin tone for the darkest dark use purple, and lightest light use orange) and it gives it something interesting.
    -Find your niche; do you want to draw realism? Cartoony? What are you drawing for? Are you trying to say something with your pieces? Try to answer those questions each time you draw piece you spend multiple hours on. Practice is practice, but understanding your art is another.
    -Experiment as much as you can! Draw from life, buildings, people, pictures, animals etc. Draw everything around you that inspires you!

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Thank you very much : D I like that idea, I do love seeing pictures with interesting splashes of colour in it, it was kind of like what I was experimenting with in the background but it would be nicer to do in the piece as a whole.

That is what I am trying to do, I don't really know whether I like cartoony or realism, I can do both and I like both, cartoony is less time consuming though but I prefer the realism pieces. I will probably just continue experimenting and see xD Probably more with realism though as I feel quite comfortable in that. As for what I am trying to say, well, this is mostly just an expression of my fandoms and the deep importance fantasy has on us as a species- fundamentally, I just draw what I feel like drawing because it makes me happy, I don't put any meaning behind it, if someone sees one then that is on them but I consider myself more an illustrator because of that fact.

I shall do that :3 I do kind of want to buy a scrap book and just take it out and sit on a bench and draw just to help me but it's just something I need to get off my butt and do. I've been doodling a lot of hands because I suck at them xD

But thank you very much for the feedback, I shall take it with me as I hope to get better.