Support Need a Better Microphone

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Amaury, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

Do you guys have any suggestions? This is my current microphone:

Mic.jpg

In order for me and my friend's voices to not get drowned out by the game audio, I can't leave the audio level slider in the default middle position and have to slide it to the right as far possible without completely muting the game audio, like so. Unfortunately, that means I then have to turn up the volume all the way in order to hear the video -- here's an example:

I need to be able to leave the slider in the middle position and have our voices heard really well as well, like the friend I'm doing the blind commentary with:

He said he had to play with the audio levels, but you barely have to turn up your volume with his videos (assuming your speakers are always set to 100%), and you can already hear them well.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Karuta Reborn

I don't think your microphone is going to affect this. It really is just a matter of playing with audio levels until you have a good balance of game and voice audio. I use a guitar hero mic and I can get a good balance when recording videos.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

And where I have the slider now, which I linked to in my OP above, is the only good balance I can find.

[​IMG]

I think some of it is that we need to talk louder and keep it that way for the whole recording, but short of yelling, I think some of it is the microphone.

4. Karuta Reborn

Uhh, maybe you shouldn't edit in Windows Movie maker.

5. Amaury Legendary Hero

I don't know what that would have to do with it, but it's all I have to edit videos.

6. Karuta Reborn

It's really not designed for the kind of work you're using it for lol. You'll have a much easier time working with audio if you use something like Sony Vegas.

7. Amaury Legendary Hero

Is it free?

The thing is that WMM is fine for walkthroughs because I can leave the slider in the middle, it's just a bit difficult with let's plays since there's commentary. Most of the time I'm just rendering walkthrough parts, so if it isn't free, I'd rather not buy something that I'll only use every now and then -- my friend only comes over when he's free, which is every now and then, to record the let's play we're doing.

8. Karuta Reborn

Vegas isn't free, but there's ways around that that I'm not going to mention here d:

9. Amaury Legendary Hero

I'd rather keep things legal, sorry.

10. Misty gimme kiss

Check your audio levels. When the mic is plugged in, right-click the Volume icon in the system tray and select Recording Devices. Find your mic and play with some of the settings. For whatever reason, sometimes Windows turns down inputs considerably.

11. Amaury Legendary Hero

Misty! OMG, thank you! That was it! The recording audio level was at 49, and I increased it to the max 100. And, you know, that actually didn't surprise me since when you do a completely brand new install on a computer, the speakers aren't at 100, either.

I wish I'd known about this sooner, but I'm sure people figured out to turn up their volumes all the way. Now for a test![DOUBLEPOST=1395525787][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Misty, while I was in there, I also noticed a microphone boost level that was muted. Would maxing that out to +30.0 dB also help?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  12. Misty gimme kiss

Try it with and without and see what happens. It will vary from mic to mic.

13. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thank you kindly.

This can be locked now. :)