New bill could put an end to animal abuse

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by water mage, May 16, 2010.

1. water mage Kingdom Keeper

As we all know in the USA there is a database for sex offenders so why not have one for animals? The California legislature would decide on a bill that would require adults convicted of felony animal abuse to register with local law enforcment. Their names would be placed in a database similar to the sex offenders registry. All forms of animal abuse would be enclosed such as people convicted of maiming, mutilating, torturing, killing of animals as well as hoarders and operators of fighting rings. Since animals can't tell us how they feel or the kind of unspeakable pain that occurs to them, it is our job to be their voice and let us be heard that animal abuse is wrong and if one commits it, that individual or group not only have to pay a hefty fine or imprisonment, but be known notoriously by all those who may work or live near by. The public has the right to know what kind of sick, twisted freaks are out there.

So my question to you is should there be a bill that would require by law that all animal abusers in any form have to have their names registered in the database for this dispicable crime. Give me your thoughts and opinions whether you agree or oppose?

2. Arch Mana Knight

How is this really a debate? More like current events. Unless we have some people who think this is not enough or just abuse animals, this is a good thing. Too bad it won't end animal abuse.

3. water mage Kingdom Keeper

I'll explain why it's a debate. Their might be some people who won't want this measure to be a law because of the money issue such as the measure won't bring in enough revenue to cover the costs for the registry or that it might "violate the rights" of these creatures. It's disgusting to think of the cons for this bill. Animals have rights to and I hope it does become a law no matter how much it could cost. If that is the case, then there will have to be cutbacks such as the big coglomric CEO's and bosses won't get a raise to their inflated salary or their business trips on private jets won't be covered for anymore. Oh boo hoo. What ever will they do?

Seriously I don't see how in anyway or in any form why anyone in their right mind would want to oppose this. The only ones I think of are animal haters or wackos with their animal sacrifices. Yes I'm entitled to say how I feel and if anyone is offended by this, just know that's a free country and my right as American to have freedom of speech.

4. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

If animals can't tell us how they feel, how do we know they're suffering "unspeakable pain?"

Don't get me wrong, I hate animal abuse as much as the next guy, but it seems to me like you're putting animals on the same level as humans. I wasn't aware animals had rights. After all, they're owned. My cat isn't my sister and she's not paying rent. She's my pet.

That said, I don't see much good this could do. I mean, if they do background checks when someone goes to buy an animal or maybe I won't let my neighbor watch my dog if he's had his own underground fight ring. I see some good coming from this, but not a big improvement.

Like Starrk said, it won't end animal abuse. I don't expect it to do enough good. Some, but not much.

5. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

It wont end animal abuse, Hell I thought guys were already getting arrested for that. You know, dog farms, dog fights, cats being on fire. I mean what will this do? "Oh There is a BILL? I must not do this"

6. water mage Kingdom Keeper

Pets are more than pets. They are considered family members and I feel most people would feel the same way. Anyway that's how I feel. True they are property, but they are more than that. They are living breathing organisms just like you and I and someone can easily tell if an animal is suffering just by observing their behavior and the look in their eyes. It's just that people who don't care... What good are they and is that the kind of individuals they really are inside? Also note with negative thinking nothing is ever going to change and anyone can just give up and accept the way things are. It takes more effort for those to think of someone besides themselves. Just to even give a thought of giving something a chance makes a huge difference. If the tables were turned (I was an animal) I sure would appreciate if someone was trying to help me out.

7. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I think there should be stricter laws on the abuse of animals such as harsher sentences and, yes I suppose, being put on a public black list.
    Eradicating animal abuse altogether, I highly dount this bill will do such a thing. But I guess it's a step in the right direction.

8. MandyXRiku4ever Twilight Town Denizen

Right besides it's not like they're gonna TRY even if this "bill" is passed...I mean i kno people who own pit bulls and that well the dogs killed people before but the owner said he left 'em outside or in a garage. So altho it doesn't have anything to do with this debate i doubt the goverment is gonna pass it. It will cause an uprise of an opion and science....foo shiz : )

9. Repliku Chaser

I think it's a great idea to have an 'animal abusers' database and would hope the thing catches on to nationwide. That way these people, if they do a heinous enough crime can be ordered by law that they cannot have another animal and if caught, they will be fined and the animal will immediately be taken from them.

Another reason I think it's a great idea is because many serial killers have been known first to torture and kill animals. It could help with investigations and court cases as well as narrowing down on suspects if law figures could have access to the database.

It won't stop animal abuse but it will help some and also repeat offenders could be jailed etc and the above actions could take place so it can help in other ways too. Laws against child abuse are all around and that doesn't stop child abuse. This won't work for that either, but it will help police and the SPCA etc greatly. This database could even be used technically by adoption agencies so that they don't give pets to bad owners who have a criminal record with abuse.

10. Rho Twilight Town Denizen

Better yet, make the person have whatever was done to the animal done to them.

They put a puppy in a microwave, they get put in a microwave.

They beat on a cat and throw it against walls, they get beaten on by burly men and thrown against walls.

Fair enough.