No Confidence in Myself

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Amaury, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

One of the deals I made with my mom was to really step up my game of looking for work in 2014. Ever since I started volunteering, I kind of stopped, and I just don't have any motivation.

I had two interviews at McDonald's back in 2012, I think, both of which I didn't get a call back on one way or the other, and that memory just keeps coming back, and it just discourages me. I have zero motivation right now, and my mom's not helping matters, though she suggested work source.

I just don't know what to do. My mom keeps reminding me that after this year she can't really support me anymore, and that just makes matter worse for me.

2. Misty gimme kiss

If you've been doing volunteer work then that's job experience you can put on a resume which makes you far more appealing to potential employers. The job market out there is rough even for low-level jobs, so the only way you're going to find work is through persistence. There are a lot of reasons why a company may have rejected you and that is not a personal failure -- it's failure when you let those rejections stop you from continuing your job hunt, especially when it was two years ago. Unfortunately you're more than likely going to have to work crappy jobs until you get to one good one, and you're going to have spend a lot of time applying and interviewing places. It's a daunting process but you're more than capable of doing it.

3. Amaury Legendary Hero

Thank you, Misty. I didn't specify, but I volunteer at the place I studied for my GED at.

At this point, I really don't care what kind of job get. Next week I'm going to apply at a nursing home, which I really wouldn't mind, where my friend's dad works there, and he and his wife both say they're always hiring.

As for rejection, I haven't really given up, per se, I've just kind of "stopped" for now.

I really appreciate the kind words.

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I agree with Misty, most rejections are never personal, they are hiring on what best suits the mold and sometimes there are people better suited that haev also applied. It's sometimes just luck of the draw and we can take that very personally, I know, I was in your position about 5 months back. I had applied to every job under the sun and I had barely heard anything back. I must have sent out over 25 CV's all with personalised cover letters over the space of a few months and I only ever got 2 interviews, one of which is for the job I currently have. It's all about persistence though, if you keep at it then I guarantee something will come up for you. Keep trying, you have a lot to offer and the good news is, back then that you got to the interview stage so that means you looked good on your resume. But your volunteer work is definitely helping and if you still are having loads of trouble then get a bit more volunteering work which will make you stand out to employers.

5. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Hang in there, Amaury! I'm in the same boat. I've been applying to any place that will accept an application, though most tell me straight up "We're not hiring" and don't even take the application. I've only got one interview so far, and that was a no-go, so sometimes it just doesn't seem worth it to go put myself out there like that. Have to go drop an application at a greasy take-out burger joint tomorrow, though, so wish me luck, and I wish you like finding a job as well.

There's a line from a song I used to listen to a lot, that's always sort of stuck with me, and I feel it fits here pretty well:

It's always hard to believe in your own life
    easier to find belief for a friend
    I'll hope for you, you for me
    and together we can say
    It'll be okay.

Super cheesy, I know. XD